The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

57 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

Problem with loans is other clubs aren't really going to be keen if the player isn't going to get a regular game

Yup.

As we've just seen with Thor, players aren't going on loan to warm the bench. So for a backup centre-half, we're either going to be looking at experienced journeyman, or promising young guy. We've just let one of the former go (Gary Mack), and we've got a promising youth team guy in the senior squad. Plus Jack Baird.

Goodwin must really not fancy Baird if he's more likely to bring in an unknown quantity, who is happy to be backup, who is also better than Baird.

TBH, I'd prefer to bring in a versatile Hodson-type who can cover both fullback positions, as that's where we have the least genuine cover, at least until Flynn is back.

50 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

TBH, I'd prefer to bring in a versatile Hodson-type who can cover both fullback positions, as that's where we have the least genuine cover, at least until Flynn is back.

Yup, Tait has been superb, but I'd fear for us if he got injured (or sent off). We really don't have cover for that LB spot. I said previously maybe Fraser can play the other side of the fullback, as we have quite a bit of cover for RB so maybe that's on Goodwin's mind.

The way Tait has been playing, I'd have no issues with him retaining that spot consistently for the remainder of this contract (2 years thankfully). He's only 30, but I don't think it would be a daft idea to identify a player that could be his future replacement now. I've no idea what sort of mentor he would be, although didn't he wear the Motherwell armband in the past?, so you'd hope we could pick up someone with potential (or promote from within) and develop them rather than going out and finding the finished article.

22 minutes ago, Ric said:

Yup, Tait has been superb, but I'd fear for us if he got injured (or sent off). We really don't have cover for that LB spot. I said previously maybe Fraser can play the other side of the fullback, as we have quite a bit of cover for RB so maybe that's on Goodwin's mind.

The way Tait has been playing, I'd have no issues with him retaining that spot consistently for the remainder of this contract (2 years thankfully). He's only 30, but I don't think it would be a daft idea to identify a player that could be his future replacement now. I've no idea what sort of mentor he would be, although didn't he wear the Motherwell armband in the past?, so you'd hope we could pick up someone with potential (or promote from within) and develop them rather than going out and finding the finished article.

Yeah, agree with this. The way we play, we don’t really do the overlapping fullback thing so it’s not like he’s busting up and down the wing for 90 mins. Don’t see him being an issue for the next two seasons, but would be good to invest in the future and either promote within or take a punt on a younger, lower league player.

38 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Don't do the overlapping full back? Tait scores the winner against Livi then sets the ball on a plate for Obika against Accies. Reckon Tait spends more time in the opposition box than our midfield.

Did they not both stem from set pieces though? It’s just not a general feature of our play to see the full back hitting the opposition byline.

2 hours ago, aldo_j said:

Did they not both stem from set pieces though? It’s just not a general feature of our play to see the full back hitting the opposition byline.

You are right - both goals came shortly after a set piece. Although both times Tait stayed up the park and is willing to get into the box when he can. Could not imagine any other recent left back do what he has been doing.

Training footage from this week showing Flynn playing in practice match and hitting shots at full pelt.

Think we'll see him on the bench sooner rather than later.

Magennis was playing too, but didn't see him striking the ball.

Training footage from this week showing Flynn playing in practice match and hitting shots at full pelt.

Think we'll see him on the bench sooner rather than later.

Magennis was playing too, but didn't see him striking the ball.

They both can't come back quick enough, well obviously they can but we desperately need them in that team.

I'm willing to file today under write it off and never speak of it again as long as we learn from it.

Not too chuffed with the gaffer tonight, it has to be said.

Dismal day for St Mirren as injuries pile on top of poor performance at St Johnstone

The Buddies were outgunned in the battle of the Saints as the Perth side deservedly picked up the spoils.

St Johnstone spurned a host of first half chances as St Mirren struggled with an unfamiliar 3-5-2 formation, with only some excellent defending from Richard Tait and shot-stopping from Jak Alnwick keeping the sides level.

Continues: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/dismal-day-st-mirren-injuries-22599595

@ZingaliMan - Where did you hear that we will be part of the trial?

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

They both can't come back quick enough, well obviously they can but we desperately need them in that team.

I'm willing to file today under write it off and never speak of it again as long as we learn from it.

Not too chuffed with the gaffer tonight, it has to be said.

In every game we have played  there are far too many long periods where we play far too deep. It's a weakness that's yet to be fixed the weakness at the moment is midfield. Play is  not getting  broke up enough putting us under pressure.  I would go as far as to say we are lucky not to lose many more goals due to a good defence. But we are putting them under too much pressure.  Midfield needs fixed. 

30 minutes ago, Sinner-to-Saint said:

Well that's good news. Will they be able to accommodate all of our 3,200 season ticket holders do you think?

No chance, talking about just 10% of that in the current risk averse culture we inhabit. They should do some promotion to see who gets in, like a Willie Wonka style golden ticket, hidden within items purchased from the club shop.

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

3 goals in 5 games just isn't good enough. Already the trend is just the same as the previous couple of seasons. No likelihood of a top 6 finish to look forward to. 

Would say we have signed forwards.  One was responsible for our best chance.  need to see more of the new guys  but they  need to get fit. Sound like a repeating parrot.  Our midfield is our problem at the moment.  Fix that Jim Goodwin has a top six team in my humble opinion.  

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

3 goals in 5 games just isn't good enough. Already the trend is just the same as the previous couple of seasons. No likelihood of a top 6 finish to look forward to. 

To be fair, we've had next to no pre-season, one of the games was against Rangers and another was today's absolute mess of a formation.

While I appreciate the concern is there, it's a bit early to claim we'll be in the same boat as last year.