The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

13 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

If you are a season ticket holder, you have a chance and even at that, its looking doubtful even all season ticket holders will be allowed in at one time.

I'm really looking forward to the seethe when it's announced that only season ticket holders will be allowed into the ground for the first game with fans.

I doubt we'll be able to get them all in with the required space, although it will help being able to put season ticket holders from the same house/bubble beside each other rather than having to distance themselves out.

Edited by Stu

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

I'm really looking forward to the seethe when it's announced that only season ticket holders will be allowed into the ground for the first game with fans.

I doubt we'll be able to get them all in with the required space, although it will help being able to put season ticket holders from the same house/bubble beside each other rather than having to distance themselves out.

Organising the bubbles would be a momentous task, though. I presume it would require us all to contact the club, and for them to put socials distancing in place. Or, big queues, whilst stewards attempt to seat everyone on the day.  

I can hear the Gordon Scott must go chants from 2 months away.

Jim stressing that he has plenty of pace. No idea what he's like but there ya go! Certainly gives us more options. Once Magennis and Flynn are back we have some good depth midfield to front. 

Edited by ulysses

6 minutes ago, ulysses said:

Jim stressing that he has plenty of pace. No idea what he's like but there ya go! Certainly gives us more options. Once Magennis and Flynn are back we have some good depth midfield to front. 

I was doing a bit of digging on him yesterday. The pace aspect comes across loud and clear. Seems he showed up well for Bradford in League 2 last season. He's only out of favour at Wimbledon because they don't play with wingers, according to the article I read.

I think it's clear that McAllister is still lacking fitness/sharpness, and McGrath is decent but not really a winger, so we still need cover. When you look at the patterns of some of our games - and the fact we are clearly going to be setting up to counter attack, then this seems a sensible move. There was a lot of chat about him being an exciting player to watch, and I found videos of him scoring a couple of pearlers from distance.

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
10 minutes ago, ulysses said:

I wonder about the future of Durmus on the back of this.

Must admit, I was wondering if he might be away. We could possibly get a fee for him as he's in contract still. It's a shame: I thought he was going to be a big player for us but he looked well off the boil in the first two games. I was happy to put it down to sharpness, but his disappearance from the squad is an odd one.

16 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

The boy you've signed is a right winger.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Got a season ticket as much as I would like in quite happy to wait my turn and watch the game on Saints  TV.  Good to see Dylan Connolly in. 

Not really sure what Connolly brings if we already have Thordvaldsson, as they both seem to be pacey players who can cover anywhere across the midfield. Obvs, Connolly is a permanent signing although interestingly only a one year deal whereas most of Goodwin's signings have been on a 2 year basis. A "cheap option to add to the squad, low(ish) wage, no big drama if he doesn't work out" type, perhaps?

Edited by Ric

49 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
58 minutes ago, ulysses said:

50 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Must admit, I was wondering if he might be away. We could possibly get a fee for him as he's in contract still. It's a shame: I thought he was going to be a big player for us but he looked well off the boil in the first two games. I was happy to put it down to sharpness, but his disappearance from the squad is an odd one.

Doubt very much if Durmus is away. He is excellent on his day and we need the squad numbers and cover. Think he has an injury just now.

Connolly can play either wing but apparently prefers the right wing. For me Magennis, Flynn and Thorvaldson can play wide but are not out and out wingers like Durmus or McAllister (who is usually unfit enough to play 90 mins).  Having cover for both wings is a good move.

9 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Welcome aboard Dylan.  

A couple of these wouldn't go a miss.

The second goal is a pearler, right enough, but that's a fucking tattie field. Collum would be apoplectic with some of those tackles though!

9 hours ago, Sinner-to-Saint said:

How would you have expected the club to answer at midnight? If you don't know that answer, why not just ignore the question instead of being an abrasive bellend?

Thanks. That's disappointing. Given the number of takeaways I've been eating during lockdown, I'll soon fit into a XL, anyway. 

It called sending an email and awaiting the answer from the club so if giving a factually correct answer is being an " abrasive bellend" got help you in life 

My mate knows someone who supports St.Pat's in the Irish league ( whom he nearly signed for last year), who has seen a fair bit of Connolly.

A physical player, with lots of pace and strength, but maybe lacks a bit in "football intelligence".

Also, blows hot and cold, like many wingers, but if he goes on a good run of form, he becomes a game changer.

Welcome aboard Dylan.  
A couple of these wouldn't go a miss.

Christ Ross Stewart better never sign for Bradford given some of the tackles. I just hope Scottish referees protect our silky players from any hammer throwers like those [emoji3]