The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Seems a bit of a downward move, but then Rooney went there so presumably the setup they have is decent. We all know Hladky was keen to play in England, maybe he sees that as an entry point to a higher league.

I'd be a lot more disappointed at this if Alnwick hadn't shown he's capable of putting in very capable performances.

4 minutes ago, Ric said:

Seems a bit of a downward move, but then Rooney went there so presumably the setup they have is decent. We all know Hladky was keen to play in England, maybe he sees that as an entry point to a higher league.

I'd be a lot more disappointed at this if Alnwick hadn't shown he's capable of putting in very capable performances.

Rooney went there because he was over 30, soon to be replaced at Aberdeen, and got offered the largest wages of his career.

34 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Funny though. 

Like Shaughnessy last season with you lot, it should really serve as a cautionary tale of players who want to listen to greedy agents.

There's no way he'd have left us if he knew in advance the alternative was Salford and probably a salary cap to boot.

Is the salary cap already in place? 

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Rooney went there because he was over 30, soon to be replaced at Aberdeen, and got offered the largest wages of his career.

I'd agree on the last part, as for the first two.. not sure.

14 minutes ago, Ric said:

I'd agree on the last part, as for the first two.. not sure.

They'd already signed Sam Cosgrove by the time Rooney left

From my recollection, McInnes wanted to keep him, but wouldn't pay the wages and Rooney was free to move. He'd knocked in 28, 20, 20 goals the previous season and had still hit double figures in his last one.

I'm not suggesting it's a like for like situation with Hladky but I don't think Aberdeen were keen to lose him.

3 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Latest news on Flynn and Magennis is 7 to 8 weeks before their back according to Saints tweet. 

8 weeks from now is 15th October. We have 6 league games between now and then (or 7 if the Celtic game is rescheduled before the 15th October). They would potentially be available for Motherwell at home on 17th. Or maybe a cheeky 45 mins each in the QOS league cup game on the 10th?

8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I thought it was.

The big clubs have all found a way round FFP so won't be surprised if clubs down south have found a way round a salary cap. I wouldn't be totally surprised if most clubs are ignoring it and will either deal with any consequences later or reckon it will be changed. Telling clubs in the same division they all have the same cap is madness. 

15 minutes ago, Stu said:

The big clubs have all found a way round FFP so won't be surprised if clubs down south have found a way round a salary cap. I wouldn't be totally surprised if most clubs are ignoring it and will either deal with any consequences later or reckon it will be changed. Telling clubs in the same division they all have the same cap is madness. 

While that may be true, I do think it will help to prevent clubs harvesting players to the same extent, and keeping such bloated squads.

I think picking up fringe players will be where the value is.

4 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

https://www.nottheoldfirm.com/interview/jim-goodwin-provides-joel-piroe-update-as-st-mirren-boss-gives-kristian-dennis-backing/

Interesting interview. More or less confirms what I'd suspected that we're absolutely not done yet in this window. 

Good to see we are still in the hunt for players. We need options. Given Magennis and Flynn are going to be a while yet a couple of loan deals are a good option. 

10 hours ago, Stu said:

The clubs voted for it !

On 20/08/2020 at 18:11, ZingaliMan said:

Latest news on Flynn and Magennis is 7 to 8 weeks before their back according to Saints tweet. 

Footage of training this week on official Twitter with both Flynn and Magennis taking part in training matches.

Might be a bit sooner than 7 to 8 weeks before they make an appearance.:thumsup2

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/jim-goodwin-opens-up-getting-22555886.amp

Imagine coming up to Scotland to get shown around the place before signing for a club and bringing your Mrs with you to see how she settles and this absolute fox is the first face the greets you at the train station.

Dennis' Mrs no doubt had fully endorsed him joining before they'd even left the platform. :lol:

0.jpeg.2015d10e519066dce470115437862b08.jpeg

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/jim-goodwin-opens-up-getting-22555886.amp

Imagine coming up to Scotland to get shown around the place before signing for a club and bringing your Mrs with you to see how she settles and this absolute fox is the first face the greets you at the train station.

Dennis' Mrs no doubt had fully endorsed him joining before they'd even left the platform. :lol:

0.jpeg.2015d10e519066dce470115437862b08.jpeg

Was it yourself on Scottish Football BT sport last night with predictions from fans ? That's twice I have watched that programme it's very much old firm influenced very much like the tabloids up here which is disappointing.  The only time Saints got a mention was the fan prediction section.