The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 minute ago, billyg said:

I was hoping Emmanuel Dennis on loan !

Looked him up, and this from a recent article...so doubt it unfortunately! 

Manu Lonjon reports that Inter Milan and newly-promoted Premier League side Leeds United are in active discussions with 22-year-old Nigerian and Club Brugge attacker Emmanuel Dennis.

Gianluca di Marzio separately claims that Atalanta, Arsenal and Dortmund are all also monitoring the 1997-born striker, who scored 6 goals in 23 appearances in 2019/20 for his Belgian side.

37 minutes ago, billyg said:

Jack's played 150 first team games for us , he's 24 years old. Over the years guys like McQueen , Reid and Mark Fulton were instantly identified as players who would play successfully at a high level.  Jack ,  for me,  has only ever been a stop gap centre back when we haven't had anyone else to play there. 

As I say, I don't see him being a top defender, but for those who aren't their best years come in mid to late 20s when they have been a regular first team player for several seasons. Not that I disagree with your appraisal, btw. I think the last genuinely good young defender we had was Broadfoot who seemed to waltz through games. Maybe I'm missing out on someone here, all of our recent good young talent seems to have been in the midfield.

1 minute ago, billyg said:

I was hoping Emmanuel Dennis on loan !

p06hn4nm.jpg

53 minutes ago, ulysses said:

Taking a massive punt but maybe this guy? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristian_Dennis 

Goalscoring record isn't too bad - nearly a goal every other team for a relegated side a few years ago is a pretty good return. Not quite as prolific since then, and a lot of his good years were in non-league, but not as bad as I was expecting when I clicked the link 😂

Just now, Stu said:

Goalscoring record isn't too bad - nearly a goal every other team for a relegated side a few years ago is a pretty good return. Not quite as prolific since then, and a lot of his good years were in non-league, but not as bad as I was expecting when I clicked the link 😂

Scoring record was deceptively strong last season.

He started 18 games and 14 sub appearances and scored 13 goals.

He was actually averaging a goal every 110 mins or so on the park.

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Yeah, he had some season - 21 goals (19 league) for relegated Chesterfield in 17/18 and, like you said, has struggled a bit since then (edit: saw DJC's post, so maybe it's been ok).

I'm not blown away, but we know how tough the market is. We need the back-up/support/competition for JOb and Mor-I-as, so keen to see what he can do.

Looking at Twitter, plenty of NCFC fans seem to want him still, albeit that's not a great level.

Edited by Coventry Saint

Always going to be an element of being underwhelmed after we were linked with the PSV boy, but we've had far more hits than misses with recruitment under Goody so hopefully this one turns out as well as Sam Foley did.

I think we were all collectively meh" when Foley signed on a free having been released by Northampton and he ended up walking away with every player of the year award going.

Judge every player on what he does in the stripes and not what he's done elsewhere.

Dennis is a solid League 2 stiker, asked my AFC Wimbledon supporting brother in law who follows the English lower leagues. He thinks he'd do a decent job up here.

7 minutes ago, Div said:

Always going to be an element of being underwhelmed after we were linked with the PSV boy, but we've had far more hits than misses with recruitment under Goody so hopefully this one turns out as well as Sam Foley did.

I think we were all collectively meh" when Foley signed on a free having been released by Northampton and he ended up walking away with every player of the year award going.

Judge every player on what he does in the stripes and not what he's done elsewhere.

I can think of two folk in particular who collectively didn't only 'meh' but go 'WTF' at signing a 32 year old winger we had no knowledge of. :lol: 

Lesson learnt!

16 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Scoring record was deceptively strong last season.

He started 18 games and 14 sub appearances and scored 13 goals.

He was actually averaging a goal every 110 mins or so on the park.

I only saw the Wiki stats, hadn't realised it was as good as that. He appears to have a similar background to Morias but a much better strike rate.

The fact he was involved in the play-offs a few weeks back should also mean he's not too far behind in fitness.

Edited by Stu

14 minutes ago, Stu said:

I only saw the Wiki stats, hadn't realised it was as good as that. He appears to have a similar background to Morias but a much better strike rate.

The fact he was involved in the play-offs a few weeks back should also mean he's not too far behind in fitness.

Yeah, actually 14 goals in 1594 minutes, so one every 114 mins.

Not bad!

image.png.e1128d2cccee17a64f351b498da3c04a.png