The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

St. Johnstone appear to be toiling just as badly at Ibrox tonight as we did on Sunday. Had they gone there tonight and caused real problems to Rangers, I'd be a bit more concerned at that performance but it looks like Rangers will do this to a few sides this season going by the early indicators. 
Rangers have been pretty poor compared to Sunday as well.

Our knicker wetters need something to moan about though.

40 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

St. Johnstone appear to be toiling just as badly at Ibrox tonight as we did on Sunday. Had they gone there tonight and caused real problems to Rangers, I'd be a bit more concerned at that performance but it looks like Rangers will do this to a few sides this season going by the early indicators. 

Rangers look very dangerous. I think they're real contenders this season. 

11 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Rangers look very dangerous. I think they're real contenders this season. 

There rotation on the park is impressive they do look stronger than last season.  St Johnstone certainty had a go compared to us watching highlights on Sportscene. Our game at ibrox knocked the stuffing out of me so it will be intresting to see what we are like at Hamilton.  Their pitch should not be a problem with us having a plastic pitch at the training ground.

12 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Was pleasing to see another team lose to the same score, as it does take some of the attention away. Alnwick did prevent it from being more though.

We definitely need another couple of options in the forward line to give us options to tweak better during games. Id have gone for it in the second half, even if we waited till the hour park to sub Sheron and push McGrath up. I'm not sure what  McAllisters fitness was like, though imo he should have been on earlier. The boy can be a game changer on his day. 

14 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

While this may be lack of understanding on my part, can someone explain why getting drilled by Rangers would cause anyone outside of Celtic and maybe Hibs any concern when the wage bill of 2 players at Ibrox likely is the same of most entire clubs?

This seems like it would be similar to me as a Royals fan here in American baseball getting worried back in 95-08 that the Yankees or Red Sox were drilling us.

5 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

While this may be lack of understanding on my part, can someone explain why getting drilled by Rangers would cause anyone outside of Celtic and maybe Hibs any concern when the wage bill of 2 players at Ibrox likely is the same of most entire clubs?

This seems like it would be similar to me as a Royals fan here in American baseball getting worried back in 95-08 that the Yankees or Red Sox were drilling us.

There are short term and long term issues that arise. Short term, it's demoralising to get hammered, either as a player or a fan. Even when it's one of the OF. You can google a guy called Ebbe Skovdahl who managed Aberdeen about a decade (plus) ago who took absolute hammerings from the OF and the negative effects it had on all those involved at the club. In regard to the long term, goal difference can be crucial at the bottom (and top) of the table. If you lose a place in mid table due to losing a few extra goals over the season, you can deal with that. It's a short term financial loss, but no massive. When it's the odd goal that separates you from survival or the play off position, that is massive. You only need to look back as recent as the17/18 season where GD made the difference between 11th and 10th.

10 minutes ago, Ric said:

There are short term and long term issues that arise. Short term, it's demoralising to get hammered, either as a player or a fan. Even when it's one of the OF. You can google a guy called Ebbe Skovdahl who managed Aberdeen about a decade (plus) ago who took absolute hammerings from the OF and the negative effects it had on all those involved at the club. In regard to the long term, goal difference can be crucial at the bottom (and top) of the table. If you lose a place in mid table due to losing a few extra goals over the season, you can deal with that. It's a short term financial loss, but no massive. When it's the odd goal that separates you from survival or the play off position, that is massive. You only need to look back as recent as the17/18 season where GD made the difference between 11th and 10th.

That makes sense, especially the GD in regards to relegation or losing 100K pounds due to standing placement. 
Still, losing 3-0 shouldn’t cause too much angst. But I could see anything 5-0 or above under the conditions you laid out being worrisome.

10 minutes ago, Torrevieja buddie said:

At American fan what team did you decide to follow in Scotland. 

Taking the season to decide. I’ve narrowed it down to:

Ross County, St. Mirren, Kilmarnock, Motherwell, Hearts (yeah, I know), both Dundee teams, ICT and Queen of the South.
My original criteria has changed and there are things I like and dislike about all ranging from club colors to playing in way too big a stadium.

1 hour ago, AmericanFan said:

You go to Ibrox or Parkhead with a view Saints will come away with nothing. It's not impossible to pick up points but rare.  I for one was shocked at how bad we were at ibrox  though St Johnstone's stats were simlour to St Mirren. Your hopes are always high at the start of the season with new players in the squad. Maybe I was expecting too much from the Rangers game. St Mirren play Hamilton this Saturday that should give us a better idea where we are. There is a striker to come in while two key midfielder players have to come back from injury by September.  

33 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

I don't think any league is looking great  at the moment. Scotland is a good window to attract attention south of the border. 

Agree with that , we do have a name of boot the baw and charge . Let's get physical in the pishing rain lol. 

50 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

I don't think any league is looking great  at the moment. Scotland is a good window to attract attention south of the border. 

A certain Liverpool centre half used our league as a stepping stone so why not. Still not convinced this will happen

1 hour ago, ZingaliMan said:

Scottish football abroad is looked at very poorly will be surprised if this comes off. 

Somehow I don't think is a player who is going to be anywhere the PSV first team ever. I doubt they care where he ends up, as long as the money is right, for both player and club.

2 minutes ago, Turkmenbashi said:

Somehow I don't think is a player who is going to be anywhere the PSV first team ever. I doubt they care where he ends up, as long as the money is right, for both player and club.

Yeah, the guy is 21, doesn't seem to have been near the Ajax first team, and scored something like 3 goals in 20 games for Sparta Rotterdam last season. While he might have other offers, I really don't see this as the impossible dream.