The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

50 minutes ago, Ric said:

Not convinced about Bayo. Not that he doesn't have talent, it's clear he does, but we have a small squad and can't afford passengers esp if they are on a decent wage. Obvs, a loan deal is beneficial to Celtic too so perhaps they will be flexible on the money, and it's clear Goodwin backed away from Jakubiak because of that but I can't imagine he'd come for free.

It's fine: we only sign absolute ballers these days.

10 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Goodwin tried to sign Boyo in January also so obviously done his homework on him Rick. 

5 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

It's fine: we only sign absolute ballers these days.

It's the same reply to both, in that I trust Goodwin with his recruitment.

Still not convinced.

Robert Grieve of the Sun is reporting that Gus Macpherson is leaving. 

Appears that he's done a good job, I suppose with these behind the scenes roles we never really see how much of an impact he's had but I think he'll be a loss. I wonder if they'll look to replace him or use this as a cost cutting exercise. They should bring in Danny Lennon for a nice piece of symmetry. 

7 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Appears that he's done a good job, I suppose with these behind the scenes roles we never really see how much of an impact he's had but I think he'll be a loss. I wonder if they'll look to replace him or use this as a cost cutting exercise. They should bring in Danny Lennon for a nice piece of symmetry. 

I'm sad he's going and I absolutely hope we replace him: recruitment strategy has taken a marked upturn since he arrived and I'd be surprised if we didn't replace him. 

21 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

It could be a strikers wage ? Gus and our chairman are close friends so dont see this as a fall out. 

9 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

It could be a strikers wage ? Gus and our chairman are close friends so dont see this as a fall out. 

I wonder if that's how they are justifying it. As I said in my previous post it's difficult to know how much of an impact he (or the role) has at a club. 

I just hope it's not a case of knowing the cost but not the value. 

I’d like to think by this stage GS and Fitzy know what they’re doing, although this does seem slightly short sighted.

Signings have massively improved since he has been appointed and can’t be coincidence, I’d happily sacrifice a players wage to minimise the chances of signing an absolute dud.

Amount of money we have wasted in wages and pay offs in recent seasons on players would pay for 10 technical directors!

Gus' role has apparently become more and more of a bit part since Goodwin arrived.

Kearney leaned quite heavily on Gus at the start and he was hugely instrumental in January 2019. We were told at the time that a manager leaving on short notice would never put us in a position where we'd fallen behind on transfer targets but clearly in practice it didn't quite work last summer when OK left.

Since he's got into the role, Goodwin has said that almost all recruitment is sourced by himself and then handed over to Fitzy for negotiations. Gus seems to have been shunted into the background somewhat. A shame as I hate to see anyone lose their job and Gus, polarising figure though he is, is definitely a modern day St. Mirren legend for what he achieved.

1 hour ago, houston_bud said:

I don't think his departure will be any great loss. 

A bit surprised about this. I assumed that Gus's appointment was a long-term change to the club's structure. Maybe it was just to help out Kearney as he was in his first FT post?

Considering his relationship with Gordon Scott, I would doubt we're sending Gus onto the dole. SFA post? Anyone in the lower leagues looking for a boss?

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Gus' role has apparently become more and more of a bit part since Goodwin arrived.

Kearney leaned quite heavily on Gus at the start and he was hugely instrumental in January 2019. We were told at the time that a manager leaving on short notice would never put us in a position where we'd fallen behind on transfer targets but clearly in practice it didn't quite work last summer when OK left.

Since he's got into the role, Goodwin has said that almost all recruitment is sourced by himself and then handed over to Fitzy for negotiations. Gus seems to have been shunted into the background somewhat. A shame as I hate to see anyone lose their job and Gus, polarising figure though he is, is definitely a modern day St. Mirren legend for what he achieved.

Pretty much sums up my opinion -

Whether it was GMs fault or we're just to small a club for a DoF role it didn't work out last summer, also our signing policy changed to focus on more experienced players on 2 year contracts once JG arrived - all this was pretty much acknowledged by GLS  last autumn when he said events had left us "behind the curve".

Again as you say GM had a pivotal role in The Great Escape Mk II so he leaves with my best wishes.

Think McPherson leaving is more down him being surplus to requirements than anything else.

Goodwin himself, and Sharp, will have a very good knowledge of the transfer scene, and will be using the online recruitment tools that seem to be the norm nowadays.

Why pay a wage when you don't have to? Especially when times are tough.

In some ways I suppose it's a bit like switchboard operators losing their job because a company uses a computerised phone answering service instead.

Edited by FTOF