The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I can’t fault Fitzy for his love of the club and his enthusiasm about finishing top six. Wtf is hard to understand about showing some ambition to not scrape about the bottom of the league for a change. Who gives a f**k if he’s a dreamer, is that not what it’s all about. If a diddy outfit like St Johnstone can do it then why not us.

Fitzpatrick's comments aren't so wild in my view. Most teams in the Premiership probably have as much chance of finishing in the top 6 as they do of being relegated. 2 or 3 poor/decent signings in this league can make all the difference.

31 minutes ago, GAD said:

So to be clear, you think Aberdeen winning the Champions League is exactly the same level of achievement to them as finishing 6th a few seasons in a row would be to St Mirren?

I'm saying that Fitzpatrick saying St Mirren "should be in the top 4/6, challenging for trophies/Europe" based on something that's not happened in over 30 years is ridiculous. 

A non St Mirren example of something that happened over 30 years ago and hasn't happened since is Aberdeen winning a European trophy.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm saying that Fitzpatrick saying St Mirren "should be in the top 4/6, challenging for trophies/Europe" based on something that's not happened in over 30 years is ridiculous. 

A non St Mirren example of something that happened over 30 years ago and hasn't happened since is Aberdeen winning a European trophy.

Sorry, when did Aberdeen win the Champions League?

17 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Fitzpatrick's comments aren't so wild in my view. Most teams in the Premiership probably have as much chance of finishing in the top 6 as they do of being relegated. 2 or 3 poor/decent signings in this league can make all the difference.

Keeping the same managerial team would help, if you exclude McManus' caretaker role of a couple of months, we've had 8 managers in the last 6 years. The longest serving was Jack Ross who clocked in at just over 18 months or so.

Last season we finished 7 points behind St Johnstone in 6th and 10 behind Livi in 5th over 30 games.

So using last season as an example, Fitzy thinking we can pick up 7-10 extra points out of a given 90 is delusional?

3 minutes ago, Torfason said:

Last season we finished 7 points behind St Johnstone in 6th and 10 behind Livi in 5th over 30 games.

So using last season as an example, Fitzy thinking we can pick up 7-10 extra points out of a given 90 is delusional?

It's the same as Wullie Miller thinking Aberdeen can win the champions league.

Not really, we have ‘qualified’ for the league this year, the mighty Dons didn’t make the Champions League...........you really do need to be in it to win it [emoji106]

Does Tony never learn :(

Nice guy but he really should stop saying daft things to the press.

It’s been over 25 years since he said Ricky Gillies would get a game for AC Milan and it’s been a steady stream of similar guff since.

22 minutes ago, Lex said:

Does Tony never learn :(

Nice guy but he really should stop saying daft things to the press.

It’s been over 25 years since he said Ricky Gillies would get a game for AC Milan and it’s been a steady stream of similar guff since.

You only earn the right to criticise Tony once you also have a street in Paisley named after you.  😛

My main bugbear with Tony's 'opinions' is that he has said it all before, over and over again, and I'm still waiting for it all to happen. Unachievable targets aren't targets at all.

As for his statement that St Mirren would do the same as Hearts have done, that is just diplomatic drivel. No one at St Mirren will shed any tears for Hearts and I'm sure we voted against them every time.

4 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Can anyone point to any examples of the 'seethe' Fitzpatrick apparently causes when he makes these sort of daft statements?

Apparently pointing and laughing is seething these days?

He honestly does his manager no favours with comments like this and just creates needless pressure and expectations. An absolute Da of a chief executive.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

He's a moron.

Its the equivalent of Willie Miller coming out and claiming any Aberdeen side who doesn't win the Champions League is a failure, as that's where that club belong to be.

Not it's fucking not. 

It's slightly embarrassing that he keeps rambling about it but he hasn't said (on this occasion) that we are rightfully a top six side. He's said there's no reason we shouldn't push to get a top six finish and correctly cited Livingston as an example of this being something that is achieveable. 

9 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Once again the BBC using click bait to distort what Fitzy actually said in the article.  He said Livi finished 5th and Motherwell 3rd why shouldn’t we be aiming to replicate what these clubs have done. 

Listen to the podcast, He says way more that