The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

14 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

Did St Mirren ever release those financial results that the boy Zebra used to go on about all the time?

Forgot about him. Think he needed the internet removed for his own sanity.

28 minutes ago, elvis said:

Yes all our targets will sign for someone else.

Could we have a ‘sub-thread’ for the musings of Elvis? Just want to capture all the “we’ll lose”, “nobody will sign” posts in one place.

Bet that time we beat Clydebank 8-0, he still thought they’d come back and win. 

1 hour ago, McG said:

Hearing no new signings this week but things will start to happen at the start of next week.

I've heard that 1, possibly 2 will arrive before the weekend. 😂

Again, just goes to show that there is so little information on the go. 

Just now, ZingaliMan said:

Josh Magennis tweeted Hacky on his way back. Find that hard to believe considering we signd a goalkeeper.  Josh is not one for making  up bull so is this the surprise, surprise, surprise  ? 

Seemingly about to sign for Slavia Prague.

36 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Josh Magennis tweeted Hacky on his way back. Find that hard to believe considering we signd a goalkeeper.  Josh is not one for making  up bull so is this the surprise, surprise, surprise  ? 

If he's playing at left back I'd say it is. 

1 hour ago, ZingaliMan said:

I beg to differ big man, Josh is ripping the piss on twitter 😂

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Might there just be something in this?

Outstanding news if we sign a winger, tbh, despite apparent strength across the middle of the park. I'd have Durmus as one the first names down every week, and I've got a feeling he's going to have a big season. But we may not be able to depend on McAllister and Flynn's fitness (not to mention Flynn is wasted out wide) and the jury is still firmly out on McGrath.

The other consideration, of course, is whether Flynn is going to be pushed back to FB on a permanent basis, which I could well imagine happening as it would solve something of a selection headache in the middle of midfield.

Edited by Coventry Saint

The boredom has clearly got to me today so I've drawn this up. Some starting positions debatable - didn't get to go to many matches last season! Left out Flynn and Magennis as they won't be fit to start the season. Not totally sure of positions for Jamieson, Henderson, and Jack. We seem to have plenty players who can fill in at different positions across the forward lines but as we know, we still need a LB , CB, and a striker. 

1994072863_Screenshot2020-07-16at13_09_03.png.36312e8e72691c506bb4b8c2833061f8.png

48 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Outstanding news if we sign a winger, tbh, despite apparent strength across the middle of the park. I'd have Durmus as one the first names down every week, and I've got a feeling he's going to have a big season. But we may not be able to depend on McAllister and Flynn's fitness (not to mention Flynn is wasted out wide) and the jury is still firmly out on McGrath.

The other consideration, of course, is whether Flynn is going to be pushed back to FB on a permanent basis, which I could well imagine happening as it would solve something of a selection headache in the middle of midfield.

Goodwin reckons it'll be September or October before Flynn and Magennis are back so regardless of where he's going to be played we probably need someone for his position just now.

Wouldn't have thought a winger was the priority at the moment. if Shaughnessy signs we have to get a striker and a fullback in, especially with Flynn still missing.

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

Goodwin reckons it'll be September or October before Flynn and Magennis are back so regardless of where he's going to be played we probably need someone for his position just now.

Wouldn't have thought a winger was the priority at the moment. if Shaughnessy signs we have to get a striker and a fullback in, especially with Flynn still missing.

Fair point re the injury returns.

Re the bit in bold, though, I've always found the idea of bringing players in in the order that we need them to be an odd one and it's one of those weird football cliches that seems to pervade. They're going to have targets and it's completely impossible to work down that list in a linear way. We'd miss a lot of targets if we did, and it'd be mental to turn down Fitzpatrick just because we also still need a fullback.

39 minutes ago, RussellV1 said:

Tony Fitz at it again

7F0EE0EB-6FBA-4EA4-BAA9-45DC1811ED63.png

His delusion is incredible.

St Mirren haven't made the top six once in the past 35 years.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

His delusion is incredible.

St Mirren haven't made the top six once in the past 35 years.

We're aware. 

He really needs to stop. If he said along the same lines of Goodwin that improving on 9th this season is progress, that's fine. 

There's absoultely no Saints fans though who believe we should be a top six club FFS. There's no reason when looking at the lower reaches of that list why we can't push for it and have a few good seasons though but there's a marked difference between 'we want to get there' and 'we belong there'. 

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

We're aware. 

He really needs to stop. If he said along the same lines of Goodwin that improving on 9th this season is progress, that's fine. 

There's absoultely no Saints fans though who believe we should be a top six club FFS. There's no reason when looking at the lower reaches of that list why we can't push for it and have a few good seasons though but there's a marked difference between 'we want to get there' and 'we belong there'. 

I don't think there's anything wrong with it. All he really says is there's a space in the top 6 after the OF, Aberdeen, Motherwell & Hibs this season. There's no reason why we shouldn't have that mindset, when you see the likes of Livi, Killie & St Johnstone punching well above their weight in recent years. He isn't putting JG under pressure to do achieve top four or top six, he just has the ambition to reach that level a few years down the line. He talks a lot about gradually moving forward and referenced coming up from the Championship and remaining the Premiership in the last couple of years. 

It also draws a lot of seethe from other supporters, which is always a bonus too.