The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

3 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Almost three years ago next Saturday we were reamed 5-0 by Partick in the league cup.

How times have changed.:)

Jeez, had forgotten about that. Can’t really remember Stewart playing in goal for us again, and didn’t Derek Whyte’s son/nephew play fullback? 

19 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

Jeez, had forgotten about that. Can’t really remember Stewart playing in goal for us again, and didn’t Derek Whyte’s son/nephew play fullback? 

Stewart, Whyte, Irvine, Baird, MacKenzie, McShane, McGinn, C.Smith, Kirkpatrick, Morgan, Reilly

Subs - Samson, Buchanan, Stewart, Sutton, O'Keefe, Horne, Erhahon.

Almost three years ago next Saturday we were reamed 5-0 by Partick in the league cup.
How times have changed.[emoji4]
I was shading under a tree out of 40+c on Korcula island you just reminded me of that afternoon, hottest day I have ever experienced. Only 2 thing I remember of the day were that and the Thistle goals prompting a ping on live score app as I was dozing.

10 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Year to the day since we were given a wake-up call by Dunfermline in the LC. OK, we made a game of it in the end, but they ripped us apart in that first half. I was very surprised they didn't go on to have a better season than they did.

When you look at that line-up, and that six/seven of them (Baird, Mack, Erhahon, McGinn, Mullen, Cooke, and arguably Andreu never became a guaranteed starter) struggled for game time last season and/or were bombed out altogether, I wonder if Jim made his mind up about many of them that day.

66819801_10157759843522345_187366810121666560_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=stdlGuIcE4AAX_Utw4H&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=76e2ed581137e708d214ebf758da15a1&oe=5F319160

We were rotten that day. Remember thinking I could be in the pub in 10 mins, then we scored 2 quick goals, which made me stay to the end. Never looked like scoring a third and pars looked decent that day.

8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Goodwin now confident enough to be talking about Joe Shaughnessy to the press.

Says that it's one we're almost there with and wants it finalised ASAP. 

In the PDE today, talking at length about Shaughnessy's attributes and the fact that he tried to sign him a year ago.

"This one is hopefully not a million miles away, but not quite over the line"

He also states that "We are speaking to a number of good players at the moment".

16 minutes ago, FTOF said:

In the PDE today, talking at length about Shaughnessy's attributes and the fact that he tried to sign him a year ago.

"This one is hopefully not a million miles away, but not quite over the line"

He also states that "We are speaking to a number of good players at the moment".

How very dare you rain on poor Elvis and his impending doom and gloom parade.

Edited by glenburn bud

I see our game with Rangers has been pushed forward 24 hours from Sat to Sun. Bit annoying as we play Celtic in the midweek and you know that either side of the OF are tough games and I'm not keen on reducing the rest time between them.

21 minutes ago, Ric said:

I see our game with Rangers has been pushed forward 24 hours from Sat to Sun. Bit annoying as we play Celtic in the midweek and you know that either side of the OF are tough games and I'm not keen on reducing the rest time between them.

Think it's not necessarily a bad thing to be getting them 3 days after a European tie and behind closed doors.

10 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Goodwin now confident enough to be talking about Joe Shaughnessy to the press.

Says that it's one we're almost there with and wants it finalised ASAP. 

So we should expect someone different that's never been linked to the club before to be announced today or tomorrow then.

Getting the Shaughnessy deal over the line would be excellent. Solid player. Left back next please! 

2 minutes ago, GAD said:

So we should expect someone different that's never been linked to the club before to be announced today or tomorrow then.

I do love an out the blue signing so I'd be ok with that.

3 minutes ago, GAD said:

Hey, very possibly. As FTOF pointed out, he did say we were talking to a number of good players.

This pre-season has definitely been the tightest in terms of information getting out. There's barely a squeak coming out of the club. Usually by this point, I've heard a list of names we're at least considering but there's been very little other than pure guesswork.

1 minute ago, ulysses said:

Getting the Shaughnessy deal over the line would be excellent. Solid player. Left back next please! 

I do love an out the blue signing so I'd be ok with that.

I've heard we're looking to sign a 'surprise' left back. I mean, that's how scant the information is! That's as vague as it gets. Not even enough to try and hazard an educated guess with.

Literally any left back would be surprise outwith Sean Kelly, Lee Hodson or Calum Waters.:lol:

6 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Think it's not necessarily a bad thing to be getting them 3 days after a European tie and behind closed doors.

I was more thinking about facing Celtic and the recovery time rather than Rangers, but it's a fair point. It remains to be seen whether playing them behind closed doors will have a positive/negative/or no affect on how the games turn out. Getting them both so early in the season, with such a short/unplanned pre-season is playing on my mind a little.

18 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I've heard we're looking to sign a 'surprise' left back. I mean, that's how scant the information is! That's as vague as it gets. Not even enough to try and hazard an educated guess with.

Literally any left back would be surprise outwith Sean Kelly, Lee Hodson or Calum Waters.:lol:

Tierney?

25 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I did wonder about Kelly. I always thought he was alright for us (massive improvement on Grainger) but was hung out to dry when Murray played him at centre half. Seems to have done ok at County - not great, but not terrible. 

Edited by ulysses

26 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Surprise might be he's actually another CM