The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Just now, buddie06smfc said:

You would think that all parties would rather deals done sooner rather later in the current circumstances, including the perennial blockers - agents. There will be a distinct lack of trial opportunities for players due to the restrictions in training regimes and insurance purposes. I would’ve thought if a player was set on a move then this summer then they would want to ensure it was done as soon as possible. We’ve plenty of time to sign players since friendlies aren’t permitted yet.

Yeah, with the restricted budgets and not such a fluid market I'm guessing (and it is just a guess) that it's flipped from a sellers market to a buyers one.

I'm sure there is plenty of time, and that Goodwin will get a team that capable of competing on the pitch.

11 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Along with the reassuring words about Jack Baird coming into contention and young players being promoted? Yeah, possibly.

I can't actually remember the last time one of these long drawn out transfer sagas actually ended up with us signing the player. It tends to drag on for ages then we sign someone nobody had been talking about instead. The Craig Gordon/Jak Alnwick transfer was a classic of the genre.

15 minutes ago, GAD said:

I can't actually remember the last time one of these long drawn out transfer sagas actually ended up with us signing the player. It tends to drag on for ages then we sign someone nobody had been talking about instead. The Craig Gordon/Jak Alnwick transfer was a classic of the genre.

Yeah, I thought Jak might be more likely as he knows the setup and played well with Obika. It'll always come down to money, especially in the current climate, so even a slightly higher wage package elsewhere will edge it.

I'm reasonably relaxed and flat-out refuse to get excited until the guys have signed nowadays.

6 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yeah, I thought Jak might be more likely as he knows the setup and played well with Obika. It'll always come down to money, especially in the current climate, so even a slightly higher wage package elsewhere will edge it.

I'm reasonably relaxed and flat-out refuse to get excited until the guys have signed nowadays.

Yeah, same here, especially when so much of it is just agent bollocks. I do think Shaugnessy would probably be a good signing, but to be fair to Goodwin, he's had a decent eye for a centre back so far (McLaughlin, McCarthy and Famewo all good signings, Broadfoot was actually decent as well till he decided to be a p***k), and it is one position I expect him to get right. If we don't get Shaugnessy, he will find us someone else.

Jakubiak was just ok for me. I would be happy if he signed, we did seem to play better with him in the team, and maybe he just hadn't quite hit his stride before the season was cut short, but I thought he was quite a wasteful player, who gave the ball away far too often and squandered a lot of good positions by not releasing the ball early enough. Mind you, if be quite tempted to see if we could get Chabbi back in, based on nothing really, so I'm probably not the best judge.

1 hour ago, Ric said:

Got a feeling Baird was always going to be given a chance, but Goodwin certainly seemed to be quite complimentary. Might be his style, build his confidence up and say, "you want to play, prove it" and it could work. We'll still need at least one other body in there though.

Jamieson played as a striker (iirc) when he got some game time, was that really last season or the season before, it's gone a bit hazy tbh. So perhaps a 'replacement' for Cooke?

Glad Baird is getting his chance to prove himself I like the big chap. I'm sure Jamieson came on as a sub against Hibs he certainly did not let the Hibs defence bully him if I remember.  

Glad Baird is getting his chance to prove himself I like the big chap. I'm sure Jamieson came on as a sub against Hibs he certainly did not let the Hibs defence bully him if I remember.  

I remember him looking very useful that day when he came on, I think we might have been chasing for an equalizer and he was hounding their defence, holding up the ball / winning fouls for the 20 or so mins he was on.

Not sure he has appeared since then?

22 minutes ago, GAD said:

We've signed some guy called Nathan Sheron on loan from Fleetwood. Defensive mid apparently.

Centre half and right back cover as well.

So at least he's versatile which is needed with a smaller squad of players.

14 hours ago, GAD said:

21 minutes ago, GAD said:

We've signed some guy called Nathan Sheron on loan from Fleetwood. Defensive mid apparently.

Demonstrating your point quite well, you have to say!

Interesting that the write up for Sheron is almost the same as it was for Rose. Hard working, energetic, his preferred position is a DM but can fill in at CB or RB. At 22 though, my only concern would be how well he reads the game. Not that age guarantees you do that better, for that sort of position I'd maybe prefer to see someone with a little more experience. Still if Goodwin thinks he's worth a shot, I'm certainly not going to argue with him.

3 hours ago, Gareth_Glasgow said:

I think you’re all thinking of Sam Jamieson, was he not released and it’s Lewis Jamieson who’s stepping up from the academy?

Thanks, you are right, I did not realise these were two different players.

13 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Baird has great mentality, he was probably Morton's best player last year, And every time he's been given a chance he has stepped up and made himself first pick at centre half ahead of the likes of Mckenzie and Buchanan.  Can see him stepping up again 

5 minutes ago, Insaintee said:

Baird has great mentality, he was probably Morton's best player last year, And every time he's been given a chance he has stepped up and made himself first pick at centre half ahead of the likes of Mckenzie and Buchanan.  Can see him stepping up again 

lol wut

I'm not sure what's the more laughable claim here: stating that Baird was Morton's best player last season (not even close) or making himself first pick ahead of Gregor fucking Buchanan being classed as some sort of accomplishment.

Baird is an average Championship defender, no more but also no less (unlike Buchanan's gormless career arc) than that.

Edited by vikingTON

Baird is OK in a pinch at this level but nothing more. If we're going with 4 centre halves in the squad, I'd expect him to be 4th pick.

Put it this way, in any other situation than a global pandemic cutting our budget short, I don't think there'd be much chance of Jim keeping him around for the season ahead.

22 minutes ago, Insaintee said:

Agree with that I also know a couple of Morton fans who told me he was a stand out.  

There's a Gus McPherson joke to be made in relation to how well stocked we are in the middle of the park...

That's Cammy, Foley, Magennis, Flynn, Erhahon, Sheron, McGrath all vying for, at most, three positions in the middle.

Of course, McGrath is a 10 or wide, and Magennis will be playing wide right, but still, plenty of options.