The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I wonder who will take up the reserve goalkeeper spot at Rangers.. ;) ..seriously though, I'm not entirely sold on Alnwick, but as DJC says there are a lot worse options out there.

Does anyone know if the young Slovakian lad we brought in is anywhere near the 1st team?

I can only recall seeing Alnwick playing once and that was a 5-0 or 5-1 Old Firm, either way he conceded 5 however he stopped it from being about 500. From the little I've seen he looks a decent goalkeeper. 

Think we are spending money we don't have well in these early stages of the transfer window. 

Looks like another good piece of business. Liking the way we are going about things.

Blackpool’s number 1 last season and plenty of experience at a good level. Hard to see how we could have done any better within our budget. Would certainly much rather him than Craig Gordon. Was popular with Blackpool fans last year too:

IMG_2804.thumb.jpg.5442747680932d71534db033379fa089.jpg

Anyone missing off this list? 

GK - Alnwick, Lyness

DEF - Tait, McCarthy, Baird

MID, Flynn, Foley, McGrath, Durmas, McAllister, Magennis, MacPherson, Erhahon 

ATT - Obika, Morais 

17 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

I can only recall seeing Alnwick playing once and that was a 5-0 or 5-1 Old Firm, either way he conceded 5 however he stopped it from being about 500. From the little I've seen he looks a decent goalkeeper. 

Think we are spending money we don't have well in these early stages of the transfer window. 

He played for them in this game as well. I think Caixinha used him as their "Cup" keeper.

This is clearly the highlight:

giphy.gif

He makes a few decent stops though.

Edited by capt_oats

Naw, that's it...so far.

So what are we needing then..

2 full backs with assumption Flynn / McPherson / Erhahon will be adopted as FBs at some point

2 -3 CH’s with assumption Baird is out the picture

Not sure about midfield as depends on where JG plans on playing players. We look well covered in CM, arguably could do with another genuine winger as Durmus can blow hot and cold (like most wingers) and unless Mcallister can get fit he’ll more or less be a wasted wage.

1-2 strikers ?

I don't think Durmus plays hot and cold. He was frustrated most of the first half of the season as Waters wouldn't pass to him nor support him. But once Waters realised his job was also to help Durmus then Ilky was able to show what he can do. Prefer Flynn out wide and not FB so for me we need at least another FB, CH and one to cover anywhere along the back and 2 strikers minimum.

8 minutes ago, geo87 said:

So what are we needing then..

2 full backs with assumption Flynn / McPherson / Erhahon will be adopted as FBs at some point

2 -3 CH’s with assumption Baird is out the picture

Not sure about midfield as depends on where JG plans on playing players. We look well covered in CM, arguably could do with another genuine winger as Durmus can blow hot and cold (like most wingers) and unless Mcallister can get fit he’ll more or less be a wasted wage.

1-2 strikers ?

At present I'd say:

• Fist choice right back (assuming Tait is playing on left as he's done for Motherwell)
  • First choice centre half
  • Backup centre half (Baird isn't fancied but can't see him moving on just now)
  • Box to box type centre mid
  • First choice centre forward (as we sometimes play with 2 up)
  • Centre forward option
  • Possibly a right winger

So yeah. I'd still say definitely 6, possibly 7.

My emotional side is getting the better of me so going to renew the season ticket. Hopefully space eventually be found so that fans can be spaced out at the game in the coming months. With a bit of thought and imagination something could be sorted.  

It would be interesting to know what the capacity of the ground is under social distancing, albeit that looks like it'll be getting reduced before the season kicks off. It'll also be interesting to see if away fans face restrictions.

It would be interesting to know what the capacity of the ground is under social distancing, albeit that looks like it'll be getting reduced before the season kicks off. It'll also be interesting to see if away fans face restrictions.
Pretty sure attendances to begin with would be home fans only over 4 stands and ST holders only.