The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

7 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Our previous experiences with past-their-best goalkeepers would probably cool my enthusiasm for signing Gordon. Kello and Marshall come to mind. Superb at his peak but those years have passed and he has hardly started a first team match in ages. Also a history of injury. 

Too risky IMO.

I agree with you on Gordon, but just wanted to say I thought Kello was great in his first season with us.

Yes please to Harry Davis coming back. He's a reliable penalty taker as well which would be an added bonus.

2 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Pretty sure he is out of contract.

It just says we have offered him a deal, doesn't mean he will sign. Well worth chancing our arm, would definitely ease the blow of losing the Czech wall.

Ah, right, no I think you are correct, he is out of contract. I doubt he'll get length of contract he'd want from Celtic nor the guaranteed playing time. We can offer him both, but we certainly can't offer him the money.

See Davis, like most I'd be happy to see him in a Saints shirt again. You always felt he could play at a higher level than the Championship. I see Grimsby was claiming the 'rona for his release and according to Wiki he certainly was playing regularly for them.

Edited by Ric

See, if we got Davis back, to play alongside McCarthy, would Baird really be a terrible third choice alongside those two? I'd see if he wants to see the contract out, personally. Unless the relationship with Goodwin is beyond repair now.

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Harry Davis back must happen. I was gutted that we lost him in the first instance. The rumours have been swirling about for 2 seasons now that he knew pretty quickly he'd made a mistake going back to England and wanted to come back up north as he loved living in Glasgow. 

Him and Connor McCarthy as our centre half pairing would be amazing. 

I thought he lived in Kilmarnock near Samson.

If Gordon is it and affordable I'd take him, as long as he remembers he's not at Celtic anymore so is liable to be sent off next time he rushes out his box and maims a striker. However, now it's out there we're interested I can see other Premiership clubs who can pay him more than we can making a move.

As for Davis, if he's still at the same level he was when he left two years ago then re-sign him. He pops up on the Football League show highlights from time to time but it's impossible to judge from that how he's doing.

See, if we got Davis back, to play alongside McCarthy, would Baird really be a terrible third choice alongside those two? I'd see if he wants to see the contract out, personally. Unless the relationship with Goodwin is beyond repair now.

Baird’s a good squad player and I hope he stays.

Like many of the youngsters who came through our youth set up he’s a regular boo-boy-target. McAusland was, so was Kenny McLean and Stevie Mallan among others.

Not so sold on Davis though. As a top flight club in Scotland are we really falling over ourselves to get a 28 year old who’s struggling to get a deal in EFL League 2?

I hope not.

Let’s hope we move for a return for Famewo or McLoughlin or (pipe dream) Popescu before we look at washed up and unproven at this or equivalent level Davis.

9 hours ago, Lex said:

Baird’s a good squad player and I hope he stays.

Like many of the youngsters who came through our youth set up he’s a regular boo-boy-target. McAusland was, so was Kenny McLean and Stevie Mallan among others.

Not so sold on Davis though. As a top flight club in Scotland are we really falling over ourselves to get a 28 year old who’s struggling to get a deal in EFL League 2?

I hope not.

Let’s hope we move for a return for Famewo or McLoughlin or (pipe dream) Popescu before we look at washed up and unproven at this or equivalent level Davis.

Why would you want Baird but not want Davis? We know Davis is a better player than Baird from when they both played for the club. Baird spent last season fighting relegation in a shit Morton team, so it's not like he's been ripping up trees since Davis left.

Personally I think Famewo, McLaughlin, McCarthy and even Broadfoot when he played were considerably better than either of them and that's the kind of standard we need to be looking for again.

On 03/06/2020 at 09:32, Biscuits said:

Wonder if big Jack Baird is going to be part of Jim's plan? Always liked him - total 100% from him. Seems to be at his best alongside an experienced centre half tho.

I would keep Jack if only because he's the only person on my 17/18 Championship Winners mug still (tenuously) at the club.

Just noticed Elgin's new kits on the dedicated thread. Interestingly they're produced by Joma and their away kit is also red and black, as ours is reputed to be:

591961974_ElginsnewkitJoma.jpg.977f7c51fc643a0c22baaa37ff0fc6cd.jpg1866501398_ElginsnewkitJoma2.jpg.431de0e0e57e90b2bd58f86ee50dcfe7.jpg

I have a strong feeling ours will be very similar to these or Dunfermline's.

Edited by Sinner-to-Saint

12 hours ago, Lex said:

I hope not.

I agree that Famewo and/or McLoughlin would be a decent addition, but you are being pretty harsh on Davis.

He was released from Grimsby along with lots of others due to their finances and covid, and with the way football is, nobody is giving out contracts, why do you think he is struggling to get a deal any more than any other out of contract player?

As for washed up, he played 56 games for them in 2 seasons, not sure that counts as washed up. Unproven? I mean, sure, but for me he always looked like being capable of playing at a higher level than the Championship, where for me he was a stand out. Technically any player who has never played in the Premiership is "unproven".

5 minutes ago, Sinner-to-Saint said:

Just noticed Elgin's new kits on the dedicated thread. Interestingly they're produced by Joma and their away kit is also red and black, as ours is reputed to be:

591961974_ElginsnewkitJoma.jpg.977f7c51fc643a0c22baaa37ff0fc6cd.jpg1866501398_ElginsnewkitJoma2.jpg.431de0e0e57e90b2bd58f86ee50dcfe7.jpg

I have a strong feeling ours will be very similar to these or Dunfermline's.

I like that home shirt. Solid, even stripes is all I really want to see.

Not fussed on the away one - not a fan of fussy design elements - but it's ok, I guess.

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

I like that home shirt. Solid, even stripes is all I really want to see.

Not fussed on the away one - not a fan of fussy design elements - but it's ok, I guess.

I'm sure the club stated the home shirt will be very traditional this season, and limited to black and white stripes, but I have since heard there will be no stripes on the back.

I really like Dunfermline's away top, and Elgin's isn't bad either. Joma have produced some nice kits this season, IMHO.

Career-wise Jack Baird would be better playing regularly at Championship level with Morton or whoever than returning to us as a standby getting half a dozen games a year.

Aye from his point of few he needs to be playing 40 games a season.

With us? He'd be a handy enough back up imo but would only step in for injuries and suspensions.

The fact he was punted back out to Morton when we had the defensive crisis, I'd assume Goody doesn't rate him as even a squad player but times have changed since then.