The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Great bit of business.  Hodson is definitely a better player than Paul McGinn and offers similar versatility.  Gives us six months to find a longer term option for the right back position as well which Paul McGinn never should have been if we are looking to progress.  

If we can get a small fee for McGinn and Hodson plays to his ability in this six months then we will have done very well here.

Great bit of business.  Hodson is definitely a better player than Paul McGinn and offers similar versatility.  Gives us six months to find a longer term option for the right back position as well which Paul McGinn never should have been if we are looking to progress.  
If we can get a small fee for McGinn and Hodson plays to his ability in this six months then we will have done very well here.

Hopefully the long term solution is Hodson. Would be great to get him permanently.

Was a few people wondering why we were letting Paul McGinn go, this is why. In Jim and Gus we trust, great business for us.

8 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

I am only too aware of the meltdown. However his poison is spreading. If everyone read the documentation that is available there may be more constructive debate than latching on to the fantasies of someone losing the plot.

I know, but that's been Bawa now for at least 4 years now. There is no debate anymore. All you can do is console yourself with the fact hardly anyone reads it anymore, and hope that most people with a vote read the information put out there and make up their own mind. 

14 hours ago, billyg said:

"This will complement existing provision offering skills and qualifications in areas such as: catering, hospitality and retail, along with apprenticeships in grounds keeping and maintenance"

This is a direct quote from Kibble website . 

Absolutely it is but it's taken totally out of context.  Their Social Enterprises are used to give youngsters work experience and life skills in these areas. They would place youngsters to work alongside the existing experienced staff to gain those skills.  It even says that in your quote "offering skills and qualifications". They are not offering these services to SMFC they offer them to the young people in their charge via SMFC that is what they do, they are not an outsourced employment provider. Kibble (or any other employer) are as qualified to provide these services as the local butcher or plumber ! They are looking for US to provide the opportunity not them running our services !

As other rightly question though I am still unclear why they need a 27% stake in the club to do these things. Surely a tie up could have been sought without them being direct stakeholders

Edited by Billy Jean King

2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

As other rightly question though I am still unclear why they need a 27% stake in the club to do these things. Surely a tie up could have been sought without them being direct stakeholders

You cannot setup, advertise and run any sort of service without having the resources to execute those services. Kibble's services would collapse if St Mirren said in a month or two naw, we have changed our mind.

And Kibble want to extend and expand on the limited opportunities that we currently have on offer. St Mirren do not have the resources or interest to do so as their aim is primarily football and not community involvement.  

St Mirren have very limited marketing in place and seem reluctant to expand on that. Likewise revenue streams (using the stadium for hospitality far more, a memorial garden, a cafe etc). Kibble reckon they can expand on those services. But to do so they would need to be a partner and not at the whim of the Club.

For me Kibble see and are willing to undertake an expansion that the Football Club do not have the resources nor interest in. For that they would want a say. As would I if I was in their position.

Edited by NorthBank

If McGinn does go and Hodson is coming in till end of season, then I think that is a decent bit of business too. 

Kibble is a CIC so they cannot profit for themselves. 

They can't profit for themselves but they could use any income they got from their partnership with the club (if they are getting any income, of course) elsewhere in the charity. As others have said, don't know why they couldn't achieve what they are proposing by signing a partnership with the club. They'd get all the opportunities they're after and still have the cash they'd been going to spend on shares.

If McGinn goes to Hibs as expected then I hope we have an agreement in place that he can't play on Saturday.

A good bit of business by the club right enough but let's not kid ourselves with this Hodgson is better than McGinn bollocks, 

Personally I'm a bit gutted Paul's going to Hibs but there a far bigger club and is a really good move for him, also I wouldn't be surprised if he forces himself into the Scotland squad we're hardly spoilt for choice at RB.

10 minutes ago, Hammerheid said:

A good bit of business by the club right enough but let's not kid ourselves with this Hodgson is better than McGinn bollocks, 

Personally I'm a bit gutted Paul's going to Hibs but there a far bigger club and is a really good move for him, also I wouldn't be surprised if he forces himself into the Scotland squad we're hardly spoilt for choice at RB.

I too am gutted about Paul leaving as for me he offers a lot more. He is a better attacking full back and crosser of a ball and offers greater versatility. Not saying Hodson is bad but Paul is better IMHO.

So, hopefully two more still to come in then?  I'd hope that the fee for McGinn will unlock some capital for us to move forward before the window closes.

McGinn has been brilliant for us.  Delighted that Hodgson will be coming back.  I mirror the comments about him at the end of last season.  He was my MOTM for us in Paisley against Utd.

Keeping away from B&WA, same as most here, from the sounds of things. 

Good business in the sense that P McGinn would have probably left for nothing in the summer. He's been a good player for us and leaves with best wishes.  Hope he does well. 

I wonder how much the fee was ? 

1 minute ago, Munoz said:

Good business in the sense that P McGinn would have probably left for nothing in the summer. He's been a good player for us and leaves with best wishes.  Hope he does well. 

I wonder how much the fee was ? 

One of the Edinburgh papers reported "a five figure fee".

5 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Good business in the sense that P McGinn would have probably left for nothing in the summer.

Maybe, maybe not. Hibs were desperate because of Naismith's injury. I reckon they would have tried to sign Naismith for next season if he hadn't got himself injured and we would have been offering Paul a new contract.  But it is all irrelevant now.

Both similar no nonsense players but I definitely thought we should have  kept mcginn  apart from vaclav he has been over the last while our most consistent performer . Don't imagine hibs will have paid a lot for him as well . Was he out of contract at end of season ?