The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

13 minutes ago, geo87 said:

What is the link with sky view? Is someone high up there an exiled buddie?

Yeah, I remembe Div posting something about it when they first became our sponsor. Some bigwig is a Buddie, and I think he might even still be based in Scotland or the UK at least.

4 minutes ago, GAD said:

Yeah, I remembe Div posting something about it when they first became our sponsor. Some bigwig is a Buddie, and I think he might even still be based in Scotland or the UK at least.

I think it's the chap in the photo (not Del Piero, sadly). I remember doing some Googling when the Skyview thing first started and there was a guy who was originally from Lochwinnoch involved with them.

Going back a bit, was the Cetco deal for the Millennium Champions season not also from an exiled Buddie - but then had to be cancelled when it emerged he wasn't quite as senior as the club had been led to believe and didn't really have the authority to sanction such a sponsorship?

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I think it's the chap in the photo (not Del Piero, sadly). I remember doing some Googling when the Skyview thing first started and there was a guy who was originally from Lochwinnoch involved with them.

Going back a bit, was the Cetco deal for the Millennium Champions season not also from an exiled Buddie - but then had to be cancelled when it emerged he wasn't quite as senior as the club had been led to believe and didn't really have the authority to sanction such a sponsorship?

The Cetco thing was something like that. Again, I've seen Div mention it before so he'll know the full story.

As for Skyview, I think you are right, I'm sure that's the Jim Hall guy that gets mentioned in the article, and he's the st mirren fan. He's obviously very persuasive because I can't really see what an LA based investment company get out of having their name on the front of a not very good Scottish football team's shirt, but who are we to argue!

Jim lives in Lochwinnoch and is a football fan as is the guy who owns the company. Indeed I think at one point they were looking at buying us but the fan ownership thing was already in the pipeline so decided against it.

One of the Del Piero links is that SkyView look after some of his investment portfolio. In reality, I think the sponsorship is such a relatively small amount of money for them that it doesn't really matter too much but it gives them a sporting interest. 

Edited by Basilstache

29 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

If the papers are to be believed we're close to signing Djorkaeff. What kind of player is he and would he be able to do a job at Championship level?

TBH we have no real idea, one of the first signings of the summer, hardly played can’t think of a game he started after the early league cup games.  Last appearance was away at Motherwell, came on as a sub, missed a good chance and then gave the ball away and they went up the park and scored. 

Seemed to be a fixture on the subs list without ever getting on after that. 

Can't let them bully us this time. Should draw in a big crowd assuming it's a 3pm kick off on a saturday. Probably looking 6k+
Are you referring to the cup game with 27000 fans when their thugs booted us off the park? Unforgivable [emoji35]

2 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

The Evening times credits us with an interest in Lewis Strapp of Morton. Left back apparently. One or two other championship outfits are also looking at him.

Swap for Baird ?

No, we're undoubtedly subsidising Baird's wages at Morton presently, he's clearly not in JGs plans, will be 24 in February and we'll probably be looking to pay him off in the summer - sadly his current monetary value is negative.

Edited by btb

No, we're undoubtedly subsidising Baird's wages at Morton presently, he's clearly not in JGs plans, will be 24 in February and we'll probably be looking to pay him off in the summer - sadly his current monetary value is negative.
Another tough one for our manager. He clearly doesn't rate Baird, he is hardly standing out in a piss poor Morton team but a lot of our fans have a soft spot for him. Been a first team regular for several years now but unfortunately hasn't kicked on. Maybe good enough as a back up at our level but at his age he'll want first team football week in week out.

2 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Another tough one for our manager. He clearly doesn't rate Baird, he is hardly standing out in a piss poor Morton team but a lot of our fans have a soft spot for him. Been a first team regular for several years now but unfortunately hasn't kicked on. Maybe good enough as a back up at our level but at his age he'll want first team football week in week out.

Quite the opposite. Morton fans have really taken to him and were delighted to keep him on.

Yeah, the couple of Morton fans I know said that he's been excellent in a poor team.

Like most fans, I like Baird. I've always felt he was a bit hard done to as when a new centre half came in he was the one to make way, even if he'd been in decent form. In fairness though he isn't as good as Davis, Popescu or McLoughlin who all replaced him.

I reckon he could do better than Morton right enough. I watched the Dundee v Motherwell game and he'd improve Dundee's back four. I'd say he's probaby better than the centre halves at Dundee Utd too, and he'd walk into Caley Thistle's defence, especially as Donaldson has left.