The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

9 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Not sure whether to trust the player himself or random guys from P&B on this one.

Not saying he's wrong and Killie haven't extended it, it's just been reported that we had the option of PCA in January as expiring summer 2020. 

2 hours ago, flyingscot said:

Not saying he's wrong and Killie haven't extended it, it's just been reported that we had the option of PCA in January as expiring summer 2020. 

Perhaps everyone is right He might have meant he had a year of his contract to go from the point when he was interviewed i.e. summer 2020

Even if he stays with Saints till the end of the season he goes back at the middle of May to Killie till his contract expires probably the end of June 2020

Is anyone going to the Q&A tomorrow? If so it would be good if someone could ask how the whole technical director thing works and a step-by-step guide to the whole process, from who originally identifies players, who scouts them and who has the final say on signing.

And on the subject of recruitment, the utter brass neck of this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49344762

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

Is anyone going to the Q&A tomorrow? If so it would be good if someone could ask how the whole technical director thing works and a step-by-step guide to the whole process, from who originally identifies players, who scouts them and who has the final say on signing.

And on the subject of recruitment, the utter brass neck of this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49344762

Got me thinking if I could find one photo to sum up Stubbs & Dodgy Darren’s recruitment at St Mirren. Found it.

94BA4EDF-439A-4EC7-9AC2-22C38D44E522.jpeg

Alan Stubbs having the brass neck to criticise anyone about player recruitment has to be the funniest thing I’ve seen in a while.

I don’t think he’ll ever manage again, even at a lower level given the monumental car crash he created at St Mirren and Rotherham. A complete failure on every level.

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

Alan Stubbs having the brass neck to criticise anyone about player recruitment has to be the funniest thing I’ve seen in a while.

I don’t think he’ll ever manage again, even at a lower level given the monumental car crash he created at St Mirren and Rotherham. A complete failure on every level.

I didn't think that Tommy Craig's shambolic recruitment could be topped but Stubb's did manage to do that with bells on 

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

Hard to disagree with this. 

Stubbs is increasingly an irrelevance in Scottish football.  If it wasn't for Hibs fans crowing over the cup win, he'd wither up and disappear up his own arse in the black hole of insignificance.  

I wish him no ill, but he had a chance; spectacularly fucked it up, and showed his lack of class and credentials to manage at this level.  

I can't see him ever getting another manager gig.  Hope he does, as I'd love us to play against a team that he recruited and selected.  Every single week.  

1 hour ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

If it wasn't for Hibs fans crowing over the cup win, he'd wither up and disappear up his own arse in the black hole of insignificance.  

I wish him no ill.

Best back-to-back lines of the week. Made me chuckle. Here comes yer’ greeny.... 😀

2 hours ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

Hard to disagree with this. 

Stubbs is increasingly an irrelevance in Scottish football.  If it wasn't for Hibs fans crowing over the cup win, he'd wither up and disappear up his own arse in the black hole of insignificance.  

I wish him no ill, but he had a chance; spectacularly fucked it up, and showed his lack of class and credentials to manage at this level.  

I can't see him ever getting another manager gig.  Hope he does, as I'd love us to play against a team that he recruited and selected.  Every single week.  

He demolished a championship winning team because he said a club in that league could not survive in the SPFL but it doesn't seem to have done Ross County any harm, they haven't really changed the side and so far so good for them, I also dont believe for a minute that they are a better side than our league winning team

10 minutes ago, Lola montez said:

He demolished a championship winning team because he said a club in that league could not survive in the SPFL but it doesn't seem to have done Ross County any harm, they haven't really changed the side and so far so good for them, I also dont believe for a minute that they are a better side than our league winning team

He said the players who won the championship weren’t good enough for the top flight, then proceeds to fill the squad with sub standard jobbers. Meanwhile Livingston were doing fine with the core of the side who won league one. 

He didn’t demolish the side though.

Smith, Davis & Morgan left before he arrived. Eck, Mack & Magennis were injured. In other words he was left without the entire defence, best midfielder and the attacker / best player.

You can argue about the standard of player he brought in but you can’t say he demolished the side that won the league. It was demolished before he arrived!

He said the players who won the championship weren’t good enough for the top flight, then proceeds to fill the squad with sub standard jobbers. Meanwhile Livingston were doing fine with the core of the side who won league one. 

The difference is that the core of our side left before Stubbs arrived or were injured. Livingston didn’t lose the core of their side.

Yes, you can argue about the standard of signings he made, albeit some of them are now with clubs at a decent level. But he wasn’t responsible for demolishing the side that won the league.

Stubbs referred to the squad he inherited as a one man team - the one being Lewis Morgan who had already departed. That is the ramblings of a fucking cretin.

Even if he genuinely believed it to be the case, what exactly was he hoping to achieve by telling them that?

Proceeding to stock up on duds would not have went down well.

Edited by Drooper

2 hours ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

The difference is that the core of our side left before Stubbs arrived or were injured. Livingston didn’t lose the core of their side.

Yes, you can argue about the standard of signings he made, albeit some of them are now with clubs at a decent level. But he wasn’t responsible for demolishing the side that won the league.

Yeah, Davis, Morgan and Liam Smith were vital in the championship win, and a few others had already been punted as well. That squad needed rebuilt no matter who was in charge.  Stubbs big problem was he signed utter shite and was quite clearly a fucking bellend. And when I say he signed shite, I know some of those guys will end up being good enough players. I'm sure Coulson and Alfie Jones for example will be fine, Hodson was actually alright and Cooke has improved, but they were entirely the wrong players for St Mirren at the time. I'll always renember watching Alfie Jones in a state of shock as Curtis Main kicked f**k out if him early on, he had obviously never been up against anything like that in his life before.

Stubbs could have had guys like Halkett and Stewart, but he chose to have Kpekewa and Brock Madsen instead. Then when these guys turned out to be a disaster he had to go back to the players he'd already told to f**k off, who at this point hated him. It was almost like he wanted sacked. Maybe he needed some quick cash?

Telling your players that they are all shite then that is demolishing a squad. Yea, a couple of players had left but he also told Baird, Smith, Eck, Bank to find new clubs. He told the Board to get rid of Stephen McGinn. He also told Reilly who was ready to resign to f**k off. All were regulars in that Championship winning team.  And he sold Ross Stewart after telling the lad he would not feature. Hardly a management style to gel a squad together.

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

Telling your players that they are all shite then that is demolishing a squad. Yea, a couple of players had left but he also told Baird, Smith, Eck, Bank to find new clubs. He told the Board to get rid of Stephen McGinn. He also told Reilly who was ready to resign to f**k off. All were regulars in that Championship winning team.  And he sold Ross Stewart after telling the lad he would not feature. Hardly a management style to gel a squad together.

Even all that could have been justified if he had signed better players to replace them, but he didn't, he signed either utter shite, or hopelessly inexperienced guys who weren't ready for what was expected of them.

19 hours ago, madmitch said:

I didn't think that Tommy Craig's shambolic recruitment could be topped but Stubb's did manage to do that with bells on 

Craig's was impressively bad. Are guys like Plummer and Drury even still playing football? How they got a contract at Man City in the first place is beyond me.

One day, when I get a spare five hours, I'm going to make one of those Sporcle quizzes with everyone who featured for us between Lennon leaving and the end of last season. I'd been going to end it with the end of the first Great Escape season but the Stubbs and Kearney windows merit inclusion too.