The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Never seen Foley play but out of the midfielders we have kStephen McGinn would be the first name on the team sheet for me.

I thought McGinn was awful for most of last season to be honest. His legs have completely gone and he takes far too long on the ball now. I’m pleased Goodwin’s seen that as a weak area and hopefully Foley will be a better option in there.

39 minutes ago, AllyM said:

We are going with 4 - Mullen, Andreu, Obiku and Cooke.

It is just that we've lost Cooke for the season already, Andreu stopped scoring in 2017, Obiku hasn't arrived yet and Mullen only scores against teams from Dundee.

dean winchester GIF

24 minutes ago, Gareth_Glasgow said:

I thought McGinn was awful for most of last season to be honest. His legs have completely gone and he takes far too long on the ball now. I’m pleased Goodwin’s seen that as a weak area and hopefully Foley will be a better option in there.

Was not his best last season still can do brilliant passes. Dont write him off just yet. 

40 minutes ago, Gareth_Glasgow said:

We've been without a proper sitting midfield player since Goodwin left. Even in the promotion season , when things got tough and we suffered heavy defeats at Greenock , Livingston , Dunfermline etc , not having  a real defensive midfielder was a glaring miss !

20 minutes ago, billyg said:

We've been without a proper sitting midfield player since Goodwin left.

This x 1,000.

Based on his Youtube clips (I know, I know) Foley just looks like a proper spoiler and I can't wait. To those who can't imagine us playing without McGinn, it would definitely help him in the middle of the park if someone else is doing the running. Flynn does that to an extent, but it's a bit of a waste just getting him to break play up.

I'm a big fan of S McGinn but he's definitely not a defensive midfielder and he was wasted by playing so deep and defensively last season.

Hope Foley can take over that slot to allow McGinn to play further forward and do more of the creative stuff he's good at.

I would like to see erhahon be given a run in centre mid, supposedly his actual position. Unless he's been carrying an injury, Mcginn looks finished and can't seem to run or tackle anymore. He just falls over looking for non existent fouls all the time or tries zidane balls that are never on. Magennis needs a good run injury free as well.

2 hours ago, Drooper said:

Magennis remains a bit of an enigma for me.

I'm still not clear as to what his best position is. He is a player who shows flashes of brilliance from any area of the pitch, but can equally be largely anonymous in games.

I wonder if this is one of the reasons that he hasn't attracted the attention of the likes of Morgan and John McGinn. It was clear what their best positions were, and, thus, their key strengths.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a dig at Kyle. As you say, I don't think he has always been played to his strengths. A fit Kyle Magennis is the type of player a manager could build his team around, but he has to be utilised to his greatest effect, and I'm still not 100% sure how that should be done (that's no doubt why I am just a fanny on a forum as opposed to a fitba manager).

You can basically replace Kenny McLean for Magennis here! Almost identical to what people said about McLean too.  

2 hours ago, Gareth_Glasgow said:

I think McGinn is suffering a bit of what Hugh Murray also suffered later on in his career. Really important players for the club, but got older and Thomson and Goodwin then started to do things a bit better.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Andreu is by no description I've ever seen, a striker.

He's an attacking mid at very best.

Agreed, but a club like ours can't have both. When he was good (at Hamilton first time) his role and style was compared to that of Cesc Fabrigas and, in fairness, he scored a fair few goals. We could never play him with two strikers as well, unless we were chasing a late equaliser/consolation goal or else playing guff like EK Thistle, Edinburgh City, Albion Rovers or Morton. 

Obika has passed his medical and completed his move. Should be formally announced shortly.

He should go straight into the squad tomorrow providing his clearance comes through.

Chasing a left back but very unlikely anything will happen there in time for tomorrow.