The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

A lot was made of the role of Gus but is he actually doing anything? The teams round about us are signing player after player but we are standing still. Perhaps we don't think we need to rush this but after the weekend a wee bit more urgency is required. We are at least 6 players short at the moment. Most fans can wait for quality however I am concerned we are looking in the bargain basement shops. 
Again Gus couldn't sign 6 players before Goodwin was appointed.

We have several weeks till the end of August. We are not that high up on the food chain. We need to wait on the scraps.

If it was a case of just signing any old shite we could sign 6 players from the Jamie Vary academy.

2 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Again Gus couldn't sign 6 players before Goodwin was appointed.

We have several weeks till the end of August. We are not that high up on the food chain. We need to wait on the scraps.

If it was a case of just signing any old shite we could sign 6 players from the Jamie Vary academy.

I would say if we had put more diligence into appointments we could have  brought in  decent players. From that I mean managers and players. It is what it is we will be in another relegation battle hopefully we can survive then build on it from lessens learnt. Have wrote for weeks we will end up with the crumbs left over sad but true. 

Edited by Demented Zebra

6 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Galling because you get the impression quite a lot of legwork has gone into this one. We really do seem to struggle to attract strikers, for some reason. Identical scenario to what played out last summer. I'd genuinely be on the phone to the Duck to see if he fancies another go at it 😂

I mean you could have a striker last season you sold to a team now in the Premiership 😬.

Signings where it's so public always make be suspect that an agent is using it for publicity, with where we are on the food chain. Give Nazon a call! 

43 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

I would say if we had put more diligence into appointments we could have  brought in  decent players. From that I mean managers and players. It is what it is we will be in another relegation battle hopefully we can survive then build on it from lessens learnt. Have wrote for weeks we will end up with the crumbs left over sad but true. 

Define 'due dilligence'. Not being funny mate but how do you know how much diligence we put into appointments of staff or players? 

I'm really not getting at you but I legitimately want to know what you believe should be done differently to bring in better managers and players. If you have the secret to this and know exactly how to go about it, I suggest you give the club a bell. 

Our last four managers have all said the exact same thing - we are low on the food chain so to get players we want, we need to either be patient or to let clubs further up the ladder do their business before we try and get who we want from them. 

It's certainly not as simplistic and cut and dried as you clearly think it is. 

Quite surprised at the amount of people wanting Nazon back. He seems a character, but let's be honest, he was pretty shite. He wasn't really good at anything. He didn't hold the ball up, he didn't make runs in behind, he didn't make many assists and he didn't score goals. Jackson was a far better player for us.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Heaton to be gone on a free tomorrow. 

Some media outlets once again spouting nonsense about him being our record signing. What a load of pish he didn’t even cost the reported 75 K it was about half of that figure. Even then it would only rise to that figure on how many appearances he made.  

So I guess a grand total of two bomb scaring appearances against part time outfits in the betfred cup found him out pretty quickly. 

Back to non league obscurity for Heaton. The last of the Stubbs dross to be shown the door.

Quite surprised at the amount of people wanting Nazon back. He seems a character, but let's be honest, he was pretty shite. He wasn't really good at anything. He didn't hold the ball up, he didn't make runs in behind, he didn't make many assists and he didn't score goals. Jackson was a far better player for us.

Duck was one of the worst strikers I’ve ever seen at the club, and that’s saying something.

It tells you exactly where he was that by the end of the season the PE teacher started Cooke ahead of him in the playoff - and rightly so.

Why then would we sign a player that is worse than what we already have - Cooke -?

8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Heaton to be gone on a free tomorrow. 

No surprise, but reading this it's been sod all to do with Goodwin.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/17774555.st-mirren-let-75k-record-signing-josh-heaton-leave-free/

I know he hardly endeared himself with his social media stuff but still think it should have been a clean slate for everyone when the new manager came in. I remember years ago that Tommy Turner was on his way out after an altercation with a fan and got punted out on loan. When Tom Hendrie came in he not only recalled him, he made him captain. Seemed to work out OK.

EDIT: And before everyone slates Graeme Macpherson, he'll have been nothing to do with the laughable headline on that link.

Edited by Stu

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/17774555.st-mirren-let-75k-record-signing-josh-heaton-leave-free/

I know he hardly endeared himself with his social media stuff but still think it should have been a clean slate for everyone when the new manager came in. I remember years ago that Tommy Turner was on his way out after an altercation with a fan and got punted out on loan. When Tom Hendrie came in he not only recalled him, he made him captain. Seemed to work out OK.

EDIT: And before everyone slates Graeme Macpherson, he'll have been nothing to do with the laughable headline on that link.

Heaton will have burnt his bridge well before Goodwin came in. A daft boy with an over-inflated opinion of himself, so we are well shot.

10 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Define 'due dilligence'. Not being funny mate but how do you know how much diligence we put into appointments of staff or players? 

I'm really not getting at you but I legitimately want to know what you believe should be done differently to bring in better managers and players. If you have the secret to this and know exactly how to go about it, I suggest you give the club a bell. 

Our last four managers have all said the exact same thing - we are low on the food chain so to get players we want, we need to either be patient or to let clubs further up the ladder do their business before we try and get who we want from them. 

It's certainly not as simplistic and cut and dried as you clearly think it is. 

Alan Stubs in particular at his previous club a wee call to them might have alarm bells ringing. Surly at his interview the building of the squad would have been discussed.  I'm  probably frustrated with two weeks before the league kicks off we are still well short of players. Goodwin in his interview clearly thought the striker was signing saying we are close to signing two players this week. Another two not so close. 

23 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Alan Stubs in particular at his previous club a wee call to them might have alarm bells ringing. Surly at his interview the building of the squad would have been discussed.  I'm  probably frustrated with two weeks before the league kicks off we are still well short of players. Goodwin in his interview clearly thought the striker was signing saying we are close to signing two players this week. Another two not so close. 

Funnily enough, people lie at job interviews to get jobs. 

I'm quite sure Alan Stubbs would have used his contacts within the game (I know for a fact he used Everton as he mentioned as much to the press after taking the job, who wanted heehaw to do with him) as leverage to get the job. 

Things change all the time in football and players change their mind. You should know by now not to get your knickers in a twist about a player not signing and take nothing for gospel until you see them holding the scarf or shirt. We probably miss out on several players a day over a window, few or none get publicised so we're not bothered about them. 

Edited by djchapsticks

If Goodwin has indeed identified "quality" signings that will improve the team, then it's going to be more difficult to attract them to the club. Both in financial terms and in competition with other better teams.

Is he supposed to sign any old shite, because there are hundreds of players out there who fit that category, just to appease the fans?

I'm happy to let the club pursue players that will improve the team's performance compared to last season. I look around at other club's relative to us and I can't really say that I'm impressed by their standard of recruitment so far. Maybe I'm setting myself up for disappointment, but following Saints I'm used to that!:lol:

IMO we now have a better manager than last season, who will be able to commit to the club 100%. So having better players might just give us a chance of surviving in this league more comfortably than needing four penalty misses by the opposition in the final play off game.

You can bookmark this and cast it up when we're 10 points adrift by Xmas, and any shred of optimism has long since disappeared.:P

Edited by FTOF

Meltdown? Meltdown!? Fcuking right... club had an excellent manager, have replaced him with a dud. Relegation a certainty now. Zero ambition, lazy appointment, absolute joke.... sooner we get rid of the fanny running the club the better....

...shit. Newcastle United thread... sorry folks.

Edited by pozbaird

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Not quite sure what you mean by that. Heaton has never played full-time professional football in his life. When we sent him to Kidderminster he could not even get a game with them. It is like signing someone from Paisley & District Amateur League and saying he deserves a chance with full-time professionals. Heaton simply was nowhere near good enough to be a professional player. He got a better chance than his ability allowed. The only surprise is why he was signed in the first place.

33 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Not quite sure what you mean by that. Heaton has never played full-time professional football in his life. When we sent him to Kidderminster he could not even get a game with them. It is like signing someone from Paisley & District Amateur League and saying he deserves a chance with full-time professionals. Heaton simply was nowhere near good enough to be a professional player. He got a better chance than his ability allowed. The only surprise is why he was signed in the first place.

Highly suspicious IMO. To quote chewing the fat. "I smell shite" with this  signing and some of the other donkeys that were masquerading  as thoroughbreds, that we signed. I can't remember a worse defender than Heaton. Even Robert Dawson made the odd good tackle and found a team mate on occasion.

Why was Darren Jackson employed as assistant manager while he was still actively working as an agent. 

Its funny how the Scottish media clique never questioned Stubbs sheer incompetence as a manager nor his distinct lack of ability to sign even one decent player. I reckon it will take Jim Goodwin at least 2 years to repair the effects of the Stubbs debacle.