The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

Utterly shocked by that development given who provides their ticketing system.

I assume it’s Interstadia. I don’t want to check. I might click a button and end up buying three season tickets for the Jackie Husband stand.

In fairness, I don't think we are particularly needy as a support. No more than most, at any rate.
When I find myself becoming a little impatient or frustrated about an apparent lack of activity on the transfer front, I try to remind myself of a few points:
a) there is every chance that the players we are not signing are folk we have never heard of anyway, so we aren't really missing out, are we?;
b) if we were to sign these guys we don't know anything about, we would only fret about whether they were really as good as the youtube collage of their career highlights, or just a bit shite as always seems more likely;
c) while we aren't signing anyone, we don't need to worry about other clubs signing better players than us;
d) and finally, if I require instant gratification, I would be as well stroking one off, as at least that is something I have a degree of control over (only a degree, mind....).

Most fanbases are the same especially at this time of year when boredom sets in.

We have every right to be a bit antsy, it is like a re run of last summer where the club was shafted by the management situation with regards to timing. We lost all of our momentum by August. That is not the case this time.

The managerial appointment has been such a morale boost, we need to give him time to pick the right players. JG won't be daft enough to mention marquee signings will he?

First post so go easy guys. 

I'd agree with what Demented Zebra said on the last page about Gordon Scott. I have no reason to like him, or to trust him but he hasn't done himself any favours over the years he's been in charge. I'm probably in a minority but I didn't rate Oran Kearney and I am perfectly happy that Jim Goodwin has replaced him as manager. but Gordon Scott's comments to the press are embarrassing. It's not the fact that he appears to have lied, or that he seems to have broken his own non disclosure agreement, it's that he claims St Mirren wanted to keep Oran Kearney as manager, but couldn't due to the irresistible lure of part time football in Northern Ireland. How much of a diddy club does that make St Mirren?

I'm not worried at all about the lack of signings yet. I'd expect most of the transfer activity from the club to come late in the transfer window, or even after the window closes. Players with options are going to want to look elsewhere given the instability at the club. 

There shouldn’t be instability at our club. The Chairman is a fan, and has served before on the BoD. The CEO is a club legend, player, manager, and cup winner. The manager is an ex-club captain, cult hero, and cup winner. His assistant is an ex-St Mirren player. Our captain is a player who knows all about the club.

We have a team of ‘St Mirren minded’ chaps in all key positions. We now need a decent team on the park.

1 hour ago, jm1 said:

Djorkaeff signed.

Looked alright against Stenny

Yep - looked pretty tidy despite being clattered early on. 

Wouldn't think that central midfield would be a huge concern considering we don't have any wingers or a left back but certainly worth a punt on a one year deal. Would expect Verheyhdt to sign early next week and then a couple of full backs and wingers. 

6 minutes ago, RossC93 said:

Yep - looked pretty tidy despite being clattered early on. 

Wouldn't think that central midfield would be a huge concern considering we don't have any wingers or a left back but certainly worth a punt on a one year deal. Would expect Verheyhdt to sign early next week and then a couple of full backs and wingers. 

And hopefully a centre half, no way we can go into the season with just Baird and an injury prone MacKenzie able to play there.

First post so go easy guys. 
I'd agree with what Demented Zebra said...

Not the greatest start Malky with that opening gambit, I’ll level with you.

Also I’m excited for everyone’s da looking to the subs bench and yelling at Goodwin to get Oan oan.

With Oan on board, I'm going out on a limb and saying the middle of the park is pretty much done. We could even afford to shift one or two centre mids out on loan at this point.

Full focus now must go to all attacking and all defensive positions.

We still need one centre forward as a minimum - probably two. (We went all of last season with 4 centre forward options, Cooke and Mullen both had relatively lengthy lay offs as well)

A right sided and left sided winger are both needed as we have no width at all, Djorkaeff can apparently provide cover on both flanks but I'm guessing he will not be first choice.

Most importantly, we need a first choice left back, someone who can cover for both full back roles and two centre halves. Even if we sign one centre half, we'll only have 3 who can play there (Heaton doesn't count, he'll be out on his arse very soon apparently).

So I still make that 6-8 players still needed. 

Popescu, Morgan, Dreyer, McAllister, Isma and Verhedyt would be magic and just leave us needing full back cover.....but aye, away back to fantasy land for me. :lol: 

Edited by djchapsticks

I don’t actually agree that we are in a particularly bad way at this stage.

8 of the players who started the second leg of the play off final are still at the club.

The three who aren’t; Popescu, McAllister and Hodson.

They are all big misses, and clearly the squad needs significantly strengthened but there is a decent core there to build on and Andreu and Djorkaeff have been added whilst we can also throw in Ryan Flynn who would surely have started that game against Utd if he was fit.

Three or four decent signings in the right postitions will make an enormous difference to the look of the squad and they will come! 

Still not ruling out a return for Popescu, or McAllister for that matter.

I see from Barry McLaughlin's Twitter that his agency was involved in Djorkaeff signing and he can play through the middle or out wide. Given the squad at the moment I'm assuming he'll play wide just now. Goodwin quoted as saying he hopes to get the Dutch striker in (https://www.the-gazette.co.uk/sport/17767679.thomas-verheydt-verge-signing-st-mirren/) and, as jm1 says above, we're interested in a leftback.

If we get those two over the line then we still need another centre half (probably two with MacKenzie's record), a winger (McAllister would be fine) and ideally another striker. No idea if any of the youngsters we have are ready to step up for these slots - would love a home-grown striker but don't think any of the ones we sent out on loan last season were particularly prolific.

Edited by Stu

37 minutes ago, Stu said:

If we get those two over the line then we still need another centre half (probably two with MacKenzie's record), a winger (McAllister would be fine) and ideally another striker. No idea if any of the youngsters we have are ready to step up for these slots - would love a home-grown striker but don't think any of the ones we sent out on loan last season were particularly prolific.

Agree with that assessment. On top of that, I'd also like someone relatively versatile who can cover both full back roles as well. Erhahon can cover LB at a push (though hopefully not) and there is no one who can cover on the right for Paul McGinn. 

Breadner and Jamieson don't strike me as ready yet, so definitely another centre forward would be needed. 

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Agree with that assessment. On top of that, I'd also like someone relatively versatile who can cover both full back roles as well. Erhahon can cover LB at a push (though hopefully not) and there is no one who can cover on the right for Paul McGinn. 

Breadner and Jamieson don't strike me as ready yet, so definitely another centre forward would be needed. 

I reckon we're going to (attempt to) convert McPherson into a RB.

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I reckon we're going to (attempt to) convert McPherson into a RB.

Might make sense, he's got a good level of tenacity and he's a wee terrier but needs a lot of work on his distribution. Centre mid is our most covered area of the park (we mist have about 7 or 8 who can play there now) and I can see either Cammy or Ethan getting a spell in the championship on loan this season.