The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

8 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Dearie me.

It seems you're either the sort of person who actually watches football matches and therefore realises that statistics only tell a tiny portion of the whole picture, or you're randomguy.

Not sure why fans of other teams are so interested in Hladky, but hey ho.

Having watched every game (bar one) that he's played for us since his arrival I can easily understand why he's sought after.

Hard to put him up there with legends like Money after just half a season, but from an effectiveness perspective he's been the best in years - by a long long way.

I remember saying after those first three games when he lost 10+ goals that not one of them was his fault.

Once the other arrivals in front of him in January started to gel, his quality showed more in the results.

We were undefeated for the last 8 games of the season/post-season - and he didn't concede a goal in the penalty shoot out that kept us up.

I liked Samson, and think some of the criticism he gets is unfair, but comparing the effectiveness of the two is bizarre.

5 hours ago, NorthBank said:
6 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Stats don't really back claims like this up. He conceded 27 goals in 15 games.

Craig Samson conceded 30 in 17 last season.

It is not about stats though. Both Money and Thomson had better teams playing in front of them. Hladky plays far better football than keepers a few decades ago when they just punted a ball up the park. He passes with both feet, comes off his line far more and reads the game better, besides being a great shot stopper. I do not remember Hladky conceding a soft goal since he joined us but Sammy, although a good keeper for us, was always liable to make a mistake that cost us and Sammy was often glued to his line. And last season we won a League so Sammy had less to do than fighting a relegation battle.

This is sooooooooooo spot on as to what my answer was going to be that I'm beginning to wonder if I am doing a Shull / Gstretch/ lots of other sods/ and sleep foruming.  Stats unfortunately are a  little like  Politicians in that they tell you what it is you want to believe, you then feel justified in your support of them and can't understand when it all goes wrong

Actually thinking about it; you explained it far more  coherently than I intended to.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I was merely pointing out that the "best St Mirren keeper in living memory" performed the exact same as Craig Samson last season.

Yes indeed.........     but a pound of best sirloin and a pound of Scottish salmon weigh exactly the same as a pound of dog shit.............  need  I explain further?

Motherwell sold Kipre for £1 million last year, so no transfer fee should shock anyone ever again tbh.

That being said, St Mirren fans consistently overrate their players and managers to a nauseating degree. I suppose it's only natural when you have someone like Fitzpatrick making daft public comments on a regular basis.

Edited by Poet of the Macabre

13 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Motherwell sold Kipre for £1 million last year, so no transfer fee should shock anyone ever again tbh.

That being said, St Mirren fans consistently overrate their players and managers to a nauseating degree. I suppose it's only natural when you have someone like Fitzpatrick making daft public comments on a regular basis.

Actually found managers bing over rated. quite  amusing. Have a look back on the forum history I introduce Mr Allan Stubbs , Alex Rea , Ian Murray.  We have had a good few players move onto much higher levels. Man U 50 million headline.  Kenny McKlean , Steie Mallan All from our youth system.  We have another who will reach a higher level Josh Mcginnis remember that name. 

54 minutes ago, Drooper said:
2 hours ago, Kill Jester said:

So, what you're saying is that numbers and quantities aren't a good gauge of quality?

What were the viewing figures for Love Island?

Case rested.

Sorry I am NOT being obtuse; but that statement doesn't make any sense to me and what is Love Island?

4 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Actually found managers bing over rated. quite  amusing. Have a look back on the forum history I introduce Mr Allan Stubbs , Alex Rea , Ian Murray.  We have had a good few players move onto much higher levels. Man U 50 million headline.  Kenny McKlean , Steie Mallan All from our youth system.  We have another who will reach a higher level Josh Mcginnis remember that name. 

FFS 😂

It's Kyle, and it's Magennis.

5 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Kyle.

8 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

FFS 😂

It's Kyle, and it's Magennis.

2 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Kyle.

Who cares what he's called so long as we can keep him fit this season!