The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, ah-dee said:

did the board not say he would be in charge next season even if they went down? bold statement. they could potentially lose every game between now and the end of the season.

i think he will be judged on performances from yesterday until the end of the season now hes made his signings. hopefully its a disaster but not as big a disaster as hamilton!

No.

They did say that about Jack Ross two years ago when we looked to be leaving the Championship, though.

Kearney is getting far too easy a ride IMO. He has literally done nothing so far that suggests he is going to turn it around. 
He is an absolute slaver at times as well, I still can't get my head around his comments about his players after the game against us.
It was always going to be a slog getting to January. The support have been patient with him because of the mess he inherited.

We didn't expect to still be in touch with Accies n Dundee. Had heard the club were preparing for relegation back in October because of the damage which was caused.

It can't be underestated how bad Stubbs was for us.

3 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

It was always going to be a slog getting to January. The support have been patient with him because of the mess he inherited.

We didn't expect to still be in touch with Accies n Dundee. Had heard the club were preparing for relegation back in October because of the damage which was caused.

It can't be underestated how bad Stubbs was for us.

Anyone who inherited Stubbs' mess was always going to get it tight from the media and a portion of the fans. 

We said that if we made it into Christmas still within touching distance of the teams above us, we have every chance of putting up a fight.

Yesterday was the only time i have heard fans criticise his tactics. He probably did deserve that, though he now has HIS new team forming together, with other missing pieces still to arrive this week. We were okayish defensively till the 3 games so far in January. I'd start Ferdinand every game from here on if he is fit. 

Dreyer only arrived on Saturday and was pitched in straight away to play 90mins. As much as they look decent, Popescu and Hladky need time to bed in, as well as Lyons. 

My only concern, if we aren't already trying to rectify the situation, is how light we are in numbers for centre mid . McGinn, looks like he may miss the weekend through injury, Tansey still looks rusty and it would be unfair to pitch Erhahon in there with all that pressure. Flynn isn't a central player either and we are still playing the waiting game on Magennis returning which will be a while yet.

5 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

I get that you wanted to stay within touching distance of Accies and Dundee but surely its down to how chronically bad both those sides have been rather than anything Kearney has done?

I remember very well when Jack Ross came in and inherited a mess from Alex Rae round a similar time as Oran. Absolutely honking run of results probably up until the middle of Feb, when there was a turning point with the new signings in place. 

36 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

I remember very well when Jack Ross came in and inherited a mess from Alex Rae round a similar time as Oran. Absolutely honking run of results probably up until the middle of Feb, when there was a turning point with the new signings in place. 

And we still only survived on the last day.

I think we can, and if we do, given what's happened this season it's going to be a major achievement.

Kearney isn't immune from criticism. We didn't adapt to Hibs changing shape yesterday so it's fair to criticise him.

I'm not sure saying 'it's his team now' is particularly fair seeing as these new players have only played a couple of games together.

I'd stick with him no matter where we're playing next season. Constant chopping and changing of managers isn't good for anyone.

I get that you wanted to stay within touching distance of Accies and Dundee but surely its down to how chronically bad both those sides have been rather than anything Kearney has done?
Ironically I think Jack Ross is the reason fans are more patient with him. Jack got off to a bad start and a few fans got on his back however because he turned it around quite spectacularly people are more willing to give Kearney time.
Given we are now in a higher league though that will be far more difficult this time, so if results don't start coming I expect some pitch forks will appear.

Personally as long as he is doing a reasonable job then I hope he gets well into next season before we even consider replacing him regardless of what league we're in.

Football fans are a fickle bunch though.