The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

8 minutes ago, McG said:

Panic stations regarding recruitment now.

May I suggest this young rogue;

image.jpeg.4bbb90e4296b9c2e9ccf7b3d9c8f1f83.jpeg

Free to a good home. Mostly house trained, probably on a (relatively) massive wage.

You know it makes sense, Buddies.

I get that January never goes quite according to plan but if this window finishes off with a couple of clearly last minute substandard panic buys, serious questions will have to be asked of both Gus and Fitzy and their respective roles. 

I was a fan of Gus coming back but his primary role was to scout players who potentially were good enough and would possibly sign. It appears from the outside looking in that we've identified a handful of players and apart from 4 or 5, they've all fallen through and there's no real plan B on the horizon. 

Fitzy, for all he's a wonderful guy who loves the club, is not Brian Caldwell and another Brian Caldwell type was what we needed when he left. Caldwell sold this club to guys like Gary Teale, Stevie Thompson even Craig Dargo (who let's be honest was a fantastic signing on paper, coming off a 20 goal season at Inverness) 

I hope I'm wrong in this regard but it doesn't bode well when the manager says '2 or 3 done in the early part of the week' and then nothing. Not a sausage. 

Edited by djchapsticks

15 minutes ago, McG said:

No surprise. Not as if the manager and other staff at the club have been talking about how much they were looking forward to the window so they could bring in a raft of new players and talking up our new approach of finding players...

Still, at least we've met Kearney's goal of having a smaller squad.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I get that January never goes quite according to plan but if this window finishes off with a couple of clearly last minute substandard panic buys, serious questions will have to be asked of both Gus and Fitzy and their respective roles. 

I was a fan of Gus coming back but his primary role was to scout players who potentially were good enough and would possibly sign. It appears from the outside looking in that we've identified a handful of players and apart from 4 or 5, they've all fallen through and there's no real plan B on the horizon. 

Fitzy, for all he's a wonderful guy who loves the club, is not Brian Caldwell and another Brian Caldwell type was what we needed when he left.

I hope I'm wrong in this regard but it doesn't bode well when the manager says '2 or 3 done in the early part of the week' and then nothing. Not a sausage. 

Gus identified players those who arrived. Oran state's 3 more have been agreed problem is the parent club holds the cards so can go tits up. Agree with you regarding Tony it's not just talking up the club that's required negotiating skills are required. Recent years has always proven difficult getting players in which mostly comes down to budget. Too many back room staff ? Yes 100%

We have had at least 3 players identified, lined up and ready to sign but they got better offers at the last minute. Hardly the Club's fault that players all have agents touting their clients for the best deal. Unless anyone on here is actually doing the job of trying to sign players maybe we should cut some slack to those that do have that job.

26 minutes ago, McG said:

Given as you have an insight behind the scenes this is worrying. Dundee have now brought in 7. While we have work to do the quality required appears to be slipping through our fingers. We are the weakest side in the league and now sit where we belong.  I am not confident we can get out of this. Feel for the manager as he clearly has a massive job to do while our stock is rock bottom. 

4 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Our starting line-up last night was fucking bleak. We've now got eight days to rescue this absolute disaster of a season.

It's going to be difficult to bring players in, as we're already finding. Striker, left back, winger. All absolutely essential.

If Kris Boyd is going on a free, I really hope we sign him. He'd be a good start.

I don't think Boyd will go now after Stewart moved on.  However if we go ahead and sign a couple of strikers as some have suggested we will then it could be on again.  Before all this stuff in January I was of the understanding that it was a done deal but on a loan and not a free.

15 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

We have had at least 3 players identified, lined up and ready to sign but they got better offers at the last minute. Hardly the Club's fault that players all have agents touting their clients for the best deal. Unless anyone on here is actually doing the job of trying to sign players maybe we should cut some slack to those that do have that job.

It's the club's fault they didn't have a plan B in case things went tits up. It's also the club's fault they appointed an utter moron in the first place.

How long does OK get a free run due to the shit storm he inherited? I’d honestly expected to see some improvement but I don’t actually think we are any better than we were in August / September.

Ok has inherited a bigger shit storm than what jack Ross did, and it wasn’t until about feb that we started seeing results, in an easier league.

OK has to be given at least 18-24 months to rectify the mess stubbs has left, if that means relegation and stability next season then so be it.

There was nothing we could do about Hammill leaving however the new keeper, centre half, Lyons and McAllister all look better than anything we had before. Hopefully Tansey will also come up to speed. If we continue to sign players before the window closes that are better than what we had then we are better equipped for the remainder of the season.

23 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

How long does OK get a free run due to the shit storm he inherited? I’d honestly expected to see some improvement but I don’t actually think we are any better than we were in August / September.

Until he assembles his own squad so probably about this time next year after he has had a summer transfer window.

28 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

No thanks we currently have enough hopeless jobbers who are  out of their depth.

Yes but do you have an overpaid hopeless jobber who is out of their depth? 

Missed opportunity if you don't take him IMO.

Please :( 

To those suggesting that not enough work has been done to secure targets. Can I point you to the documentary on Netflix called Sunderland til I die. This would at least give some insight to what goes on behind the scenes at a football club. One episode in particular where Martin Bain stormed off to his office raging when Chris Martin chose not to move there. A deal was lined up and even a medical for that evening and yet at the 11 th hour boom the deal was off.

If it can happen to bigger clubs it can certainly happen to us also. Just need to keep the faith