The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

11 minutes ago, ah-dee said:
24 minutes ago, RossC93 said:

anyone know where this signings come from? does OK have any links to the boy? seems a strange one otherwise

I mentioned earlier on this thread, the club has a new system in place for finding players, researching them etc. Wouldn't be surprised if we have been looking at him for a few months now.

As far as im aware we no longer deal with agents approaching us with players. We have been doing our own groundwork and monitoring their background and progress.

Edited by smellthepaw

15 minutes ago, Main Stand Moaner said:

Brad Lyons next ?

Lyons is still technically on loan at Blackburn from Coleraine.

They sign him on Monday so he'll apparently sign on loan for us once he's their player. 

Hladky is likely the player signing tomorrow according to Div on twitter. 28 year old goalie from Slovan Liberec 

Edited by djchapsticks

Based on last season, Smith would have been one of the first names on the team sheet for me this season. I think the stuff with Stubbs wrecked his confidence and then, for whatever reason, he was out of the picture under Kearney.  Not sure he got a fair shot and it's strange he didn't get more starts, but it seems Kearney had no intention of playing him so on that basis it made sense getting rid of him. Whether the decision not to play him was the right one is open for debate.

Lyons I believe will be the direct replacement for him. There's two in so far and Lyons, the Czech goalie and the Slovakian striker would take us up to five. Still need a good few more on top of that - leftback and some width are an absolute must.

On 09/01/2019 at 11:55, Coventry Saint said:

@Skyline Drifter - cheeky request - wondering if you can shed any light on this for us? Brad Lyons has played for Coleraine in the NI league, and Blackburn U-23s. Looks like we're trying to sign him. Can we?

Plus, Jim Kellerman has played for us this season, went on loan to non-league Fylde, and is now rumoured to be going back to Aldershot. Can we get rid of him or is he stuck with us (and vice versa) till the end of the season?

On 09/01/2019 at 13:39, Skyline Drifter said:

Short answer, not sure. The cross border thing complicates it and FIFA get involved. Domestically games at reserve level and below SPFL don't count. Players can play for half a dozen teams at Lowland level on different loans and still turn out for two SPFL sides also. But an international transfer observes the rules fully. The NI League still uses a winter season doesn't it? So there won't be any exemption based on going from a summer football to winter football season. If he didn't play for Blackburn in the senior cup, and only played age level he might be able to sign professionally in Scotland but it's not a situation I've ever come across before. I know we looked at signing a player a year back who had turned out for an English League side and an English non League side already and were told we couldn't sign him as he'd played for his two clubs, but he wasn't playing age level football for the second one. It was 6th tier or something but it was still 1st team.

As for Kellerman, it will depend I think how the English League interpret the rule. I think there are ways he can go back and play on a "non contract" basis. Did some of the Falkirk releases not do that? They have some strange rules in the English non Leagues. It's not something I'm terribly familiar with.

Just for the sake of furthering this. We now have an example.

Jimmy Dunne played for Hearts, his loan ended, he returned to play an U23 game for Burnley, and he's now joined Sunderland.

8 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

I like the sound of this guy. 

Any links?

I've screenshotted them in case he wakes up and has a rethink :lol:

It's not that bad really. Probably still raging over the Jim Goodwin video evidence hypocrisy :whistle

image.png.3b72e37386219723c3d70d33441745f1.png

image.png.26020d66da7e23fc607e83f62bbdac8d.png

image.png.af3cd82250078a477a49a9511be08068.png

https://twitter.com/StewartGilmour1/with_replies