The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, Gareth_Glasgow said:

I think his excellent penalty record and habit of keeping the score down in some of our worst games recently has papered over his weaknesses, namely never coming off his line and letting in loads of goals from outside the box.

100% this. Sammy will also be especially aware of those weaknesses, particularly the one in bold. This just feels like the right move for everyone concerned. 

On 11/11/2018 at 10:17, djchapsticks said:

A sports Scientist is not a coach.

I love that your summation of their job is they get a wage to tell players to run fast and eat better food. :lol: 

Diet,  measuring  weight & fat is very much part of their job. Still if you feel it's £60,000  well spunked good for you. For me it's a complete waste of money for a club our size even if we had one before. 

Edited by Demented Zebra

2 hours ago, Gareth_Glasgow said:

Sammy’s obviously well loved at Saints and he was fantastic in the cup winning season but I’m really not fussed about him going. I didn’t think he was great last season and he’s nowhere near good enough for the Premiership anymore.

I think his excellent penalty record and habit of keeping the score down in some of our worst games recently has papered over his weaknesses, namely never coming off his line and letting in loads of goals from outside the box.

Fans have been moaning about Stephen McGinn most of this season. Look how we changed when he came on against Dundee.  Let see what happens in the coming games with no Samson. 

19 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

Diet,  measuring  weight & fat is very much part of their job. Still if you feel it's £60,000  well spunked good for you. For me it's a complete waste of money for a club our size even if we had one before. 

:lol:

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

:lol:

Oh aye Stu he is on zero hours contract with a minimum hourly rate. It will easily cover a players wage. What about Jimmy Nichol wage when he comes in ? What about Gus McPherson wage. Too many back room staff on wages for a club our size especially for one heading to the championship.  So I agree with you it's hilarious.  NOT. 

18 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Oh aye Stu he is on zero hours contract with a minimum hourly rate. It will easily cover a players wage. What about Jimmy Nichol wage when he comes in ? What about Gus McPherson wage. Too many back room staff on wages for a club our size especially for one heading to the championship.  So I agree with you it's hilarious.  NOT. 

If you think our sports scientist is costing £60,000 - more than a grand a week - then I am genuinely worried about you.

Edited by Stu

13 minutes ago, Stu said:

If you think our sports scientist is costing £60,000 - more than a grand a week - then I am genuinely worried about you.

FWIW: we (Motherwell) have 2 sports scientists at the club. Andy Boles looks after the first team and Michael King deals with the Reserves/Academy.

The difference having Boles as part of the staff has made really can't be understated. Sports science seems to be a massive part of how we operate. It's no coincidence that some of our more defining qualities last season were our fitness and physicality. The difference in our players before we had a sports science department and since is honestly night and day.

I've read a few comments regarding our u20s from opposition fans pointing out that our players looked fitter, stronger and better developed. Ironically one of my pals used to cover a lot of the Thistle u20s and he was saying that the difference in Neil McLaughlin in the few months he's been with us since he left Thistle is already notable.

21 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

FWIW: we (Motherwell) have 2 sports scientists at the club. Andy Boles looks after the first team and Michael King deals with the Reserves/Academy.

The difference having Boles as part of the staff has made really can't be understated. Sports science seems to be a massive part of how we operate. It's no coincidence that some of our more defining qualities last season were our fitness and physicality. The difference in our players before we had a sports science department and since is honestly night and day.

I've read a few comments regarding our u20s from opposition fans pointing out that our players looked fitter, stronger and better developed. Ironically one of my pals used to cover a lot of the Thistle u20s and he was saying that the difference in Neil McLaughlin in the few months he's been with us since he left Thistle is already notable.

I'm not the one you need to convince about sports science, which is a vital part of the modern game. It's the guy who thinks they earn £60k a year you need to talk to.

17 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I'm not against sport science I'm just surprised at the number of back room  staff on our books. For me extra money must be tight as we have 28 players on full time contracts when Nichol comes in that is 6 senior back room staff. Now I get bigger clubs having all the whistles.  Saints are trying to survive this season a clear out in January with new players in this is the area needed. If we survive then look at extras. 

8 minutes ago, Stu said:

I'm not the one you need to convince about sports science, which is a vital part of the modern game. It's the guy who thinks they earn £60k a year you need to talk to.

ffs doh ! Ok let's call it £30,000. Could you get a player for that ? Not that we need any with us flying in the League :huh: Edit - Our new sports science man did such a wonderful job saving Patrick Thistle from the drop. 

Edited by Demented Zebra

45 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Our new sports science man did such a wonderful job saving Patrick Thistle from the drop. 

Thats a bit harsh.. The groundsman did a crap job of keeping them up as well and the guy on the turnstiles was hopeless.

Paul McGinn and Ryan Edwards however were blameless.

3 minutes ago, dylan_leggatt said:

Thats a bit harsh.. The groundsman did a crap job of keeping them up as well and the guy on the turnstiles was hopeless.

Paul McGinn and Ryan Edwards however were blameless.

The bottom line is ( players ) are what is going to save our season not the whistles. A clear out in January has been confirmed.  A good budget is needed for replacements. If we survive then get the extras in the manager wants. Survival should be above all else. That's my opinion right or wrong.  

37 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

The bottom line is ( players ) are what is going to save our season not the whistles. A clear out in January has been confirmed.  A good budget is needed for replacements. If we survive then get the extras in the manager wants. Survival should be above all else. That's my opinion right or wrong.  

Correct answer.

As for Samson I would bet he ends up playing a game for Sunderland this season.

Edited by Dindeleux

8 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

FFS! It’s not a new wage though! We had a sports scientist, it was in the budget...it’s going to have little impact on the budget! 

The only additional wage on that side has been Gus and, by the sounds of it, that was in the plan.

You really need to worry less about things like this.

18 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

Correct answer.

As for Samson I would bet he ends up playing a game for Sunderland this season.

According to one of Samson's family..... Sunderland currently have 3 keepers, Jon McLaughlin who is 1st choice,  Dutchman Robbin Ruiter as 2nd choice and top prospect, young Polish keeper Max Strycek, currently out on loan to Eastleigh but he will be recalled at Christmas, Ruiter will be allowed to leave and Samson will be 3rd choice back up as well as their GK coach.

Edited by C4mmy31

On 11/15/2018 at 09:38, Demented Zebra said:

How do you know what is too many backroom staff? At the moment we have the same amount as we did under Stubbs. Nicholl will be an extra, but again, how does anyone know what we're budgeting for? Or how long a contract we've given the backroom staff, or what getout clauses at have in the event of relegation. 

Seems everyone just likes moaning based on their imagined idea of our budget. I understand people whining about our results, performances etc, but not about finances of which we have little to no knowledge.