The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

43 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

You are right - he was abysmal against non League Spartans as well in a defence conceding two goals to them.  I am not hanging the guy out to dry. Some fans believe he will come good and I just do not see the evidence for it but hope I am wrong. We need players who can contribute now and if Heaton was poor against two non professional teams what chance does he have against Premier League opposition? Even Kpakawa was getting a game before him. £70k is a lot of money for us to spend on someone who isn't ready for first team football. But he has a 3 year deal so we can only hope there is a quick and massive improvement. For me he has to be loaned out asap.

Seems like you're hanging him out to dry to me - you've just called him abysmal in his first two games for the club after virtually no preseason. Had Heaton not cost £75k he would possibly be in the same boat as Cooke and King, but he did, and so we will persevere with him. A loan might be best for all in the short term, to get him some games, but I'm sure the club will be more patient with him due to his cost, which is just the way things go.

19 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Seems like you're hanging him out to dry to me - you've just called him abysmal in his first two games for the club after virtually no preseason. Had Heaton not cost £75k he would possibly be in the same boat as Cooke and King, but he did, and so we will persevere with him. A loan might be best for all in the short term, to get him some games, but I'm sure the club will be more patient with him due to his cost, which is just the way things go.

No pre-season? Heaton was playing with Darlington at the end of last season. He then was playing at the Vardy Academy in early summer and he signed for us on 21st June and went to La Manga for pre-season training. So he had pre-season unlike Kpekawa and Ferdinand who had no pre-season and have been picked before him.

Maybe he impressed you in his two full games for us against non professionals but he certainly did not impress me.  He may come good but based on his performances so far he has a long way to go.

3 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:
5 hours ago, djchapsticks said:
£50k for Mark Yardley was an exceptional piece of business but probably the only one. 

The six figure sums for McDougall and Somner was money well spent.

The set of tracksuits for Tommy Wilson and Stevie Clarke wasn't bad either.

17 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:
19 hours ago, djchapsticks said:
£50k for Mark Yardley was an exceptional piece of business but probably the only one. 

13 hours ago, davidmcc said:

The set of tracksuits for Tommy Wilson and Stevie Clarke wasn't bad either.

Fair dos. Both slightly before my time. 

My first recollection of transfer fees were probably Fraser Wishart and Roddy Manley. Think it's fair to say there haven't been many successful ones in the last 30 years. 

Edited by djchapsticks

24 minutes ago, Kill Jester said:

Let's not forget that we paid £15k for Dougie Imrie emoji848.png

Who continued to play well in the top flight for several seasons after he left us.

Danny Lennon did so much for us, but also failed to get the most out of players such as Harkins and Imrie.

50 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:
20 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Did we not pay a hefty fee for Mr Stickroth back in the day or is my memory playing up again?

£300.000 if I remember correctly. 

On 10/19/2018 at 15:01, NorthBank said:

No pre-season? Heaton was playing with Darlington at the end of last season. He then was playing at the Vardy Academy in early summer and he signed for us on 21st June and went to La Manga for pre-season training. So he had pre-season unlike Kpekawa and Ferdinand who had no pre-season and have been picked before him.

Maybe he impressed you in his two full games for us against non professionals but he certainly did not impress me.  He may come good but based on his performances so far he has a long way to go.

Maybe he impressed me? Are you unable to read my assessment above? He struggled. To base his chances going forward on two games right at the start of the season without any preseason friendlies having been played is harsh in the extreme in my opinion, but you carry on...

On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 14:17, Soctty said:

The figure widely reported in the media was £75k. Heaton has been highly rated so I would hope we hold onto him and give him a chance to develop. No sense in writing off £75k so quickly, and he surely won't be on a huge salary.

Highly rated - aren't they all?

Record fee post-Bosman & a 3 year deal - I reckon otherwise!

On 10/22/2018 at 19:07, NorthBank said:

I'm glad you are not the manager if he impressed you in his two competitive games. Buy you carry on being impressed with our 6th choice centre back who cannot get near the squad at the moment.

Are you thick or just semi-literate? Nowhere in any of my posts have I said he impressed me, yet you continue plodding away in an attempt to put words in my mouth.

I'll put it in plain language so maybe you can understand. He's played two games for us, both in mid July before we'd played any preseason games, and struggled in both. He then picked up an injury, and hasn't played since. I am willing to wait until he has played a few games for us post-injury before writing the boy off as you seem so desperate to do. 

Any parts of my post you're struggling with, just ask and I'll break it down some more.

Edited by Soctty

Are you thick or just semi-literate? Nowhere in any of my posts have I said he impressed me, yet you continue plodding away in an attempt to put words in my mouth.
I'll put it in plain language so maybe you can understand. He's played two games for us, both in mid July before we'd played any preseason games, and struggled in both. He then picked up an injury, and hasn't played since. I am willing to wait until he has played a few games for us post-injury before writing the boy off as you seem so desperate to do. 
Any parts of my post you're struggling with, just ask and I'll break it down some more.

What a fanny you are! He played 2 competitive games against non professionals are looked shit. He has also played in the U21 team so has not been injured all this time. And he had a full pre-season when you stated he didn't. And you stated 'maybe he impressed me' - are you now agreeing he didn't impress and is after all shit?

I clearly stated several times that the boy may come good but so far he has been shit. You just read what you want to read. Find an adult to go over my posts again with you to gain some understanding. Else take up English as your first language.

5 hours ago, NorthBank said:

What a fanny you are! He played 2 competitive games against non professionals are looked shit. He has also played in the U21 team so has not been injured all this time. And he had a full pre-season when you stated he didn't. And you stated 'maybe he impressed me' - are you now agreeing he didn't impress and is after all shit?

I clearly stated several times that the boy may come good but so far he has been shit. You just read what you want to read. Find an adult to go over my posts again with you to gain some understanding. Else take up English as your first language.

Nowhere did I state "maybe he impressed me". Clue: a statement and a question are different things. 

It's a pointless conversation when you can't grasp the fundamentals of written English.