The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Got to say, that while I am totally of the opinion we have won this league - and have been for some time, I think that the stumbling of our challengers will result in a little stumbling from ourselves. It's natural that when your whole focus is based on maintaining the gap at the top that when that gap increases you will relax a little.

Not sure how or when this will manifest itself but I just think that an uncharacteristic slip up is due. United need to win their game against us, just to remain in the play off race, so perhaps their motivation coupled with our relaxation will be the time.

37 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Got to say, that while I am totally of the opinion we have won this league - and have been for some time, I think that the stumbling of our challengers will result in a little stumbling from ourselves. It's natural that when your whole focus is based on maintaining the gap at the top that when that gap increases you will relax a little.

Not sure how or when this will manifest itself but I just think that an uncharacteristic slip up is due. United need to win their game against us, just to remain in the play off race, so perhaps their motivation coupled with our relaxation will be the time.

I don't expect this group to let up.

Dumbarton are the only team to beat us in Paisley in the league this season and so are due total respect ahead of Tuesday but that will also help ensure there is no complacency from our lads.

Inverness away is not going to be easy but a team we have already beaten three times this season. No reason why we can't do it again.

Brechin away is the obvious banana skin, but again I can't see it, we should be far too strong there.

If we haven't won it by then, Tannadice will then be our first chance to clinch the title. The players will absolutely relish that I think!

We won’t let up until it’s won. Whoever plays us in the game after we do win it is in for a treat though. Guaranteed three points and a 5-0 victory, as St Mirren evoke the spirit of the Bull Inn 2013 once more.

I could live with that. :)

12 minutes ago, Div said:

I don't expect this group to let up.

I don't think it's as obvious as giving up, and like you I wouldn't expect them too. That said, it's very common for a team leading by some distance to relax, even subconsciously, when that chase is not as tight as it was.

You know what I'm getting at, although I do agree with the points you made.

53 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

I don't think it's as obvious as giving up, and like you I wouldn't expect them too. That said, it's very common for a team leading by some distance to relax, even subconsciously, when that chase is not as tight as it was.

You know what I'm getting at, although I do agree with the points you made.

We've been comfortably ahead for a couple of months now without any real let up. 

There won't be any subconscious relaxation until it's done. 

8 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

We've been comfortably ahead for a couple of months now without any real let up. 

I would like to think so, but I have a hunch.

It's not as if I am some sort of boo-boy, I've probably been the most positive poster here about us wrapping up the title - and I fully expect us to do so within the coming games, but I'm not sure if it will all be 'balls to the wall' performances or just maintaining a gap.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I'm sure that the skelping handed out to us by Livingston is still fresh in both the player's and the management team's minds.

That alone will be enough to ensure that there is no let up in our efforts to secure the title at our earliest possible convenience.

34 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I'm sure that the skelping handed out to us by Livingston is still fresh in both the player's and the management team's minds.

That alone will be enough to ensure that there is no let up in our efforts to secure the title at our earliest possible convenience.

Jack has done very well to keep the squad competitive: we've got very healthy competition for places that is giving us an edge. Crazy that the likes of Gary Mac, Stelios, McShane, Hippolyte, and even Gavin Reilly, aren't automatic starters at the moment. Any let up from the first XI will see people happy to drop in - and more than capable of doing so.

Also, even beyond the management team, we've got the best captain in the division by some distance.

The abiding image of this season will, for me, be McGinn bollocking everyone around him after a lacklustre opening five minutes at EEP. No doubt whatsoever what was expected of everyone on the park that night.

Edited by Coventry Saint

10 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Jack has done very well to keep the squad competitive: we've got very healthy competition for places that is giving us an edge. Crazy that the likes of Gary Mac, Stelios, McShane, Hippolyte, and even Gavin Reilly, aren't automatic starters at the moment. Any let up from the first XI will see people happy to drop in - and more than capable of doing so.

Also, even beyond the management team, we've got the best captain in the division by some distance.

The abiding image of this season will, for me, be McGinn bollocking everyone around him after a lacklustre opening five minutes at EEP. No doubt whatsoever what was expected of everyone on the park that night.

We are comfortably the best team with the best squad in this division. We have also been the most consistent side by some distance, the turnaround from the beginning of last season to where we are now is quite a testement to our management team and what they have achieved in that short space of time. 

Jack Ross has been magnificent for our club, and made it enjoyable going to watch us again.

In short it's fucking glorious to be a buddie :thumsup2

We're probably due a slip up in the next two games as four in a row is the most we've managed all season. Hopefully we wrap it up at Tannadice or against Livvy as the longer it drags on the more the doubts will linger.

13 hours ago, Stu said:

We're probably due a slip up in the next two games as four in a row is the most we've managed all season. Hopefully we wrap it up at Tannadice or against Livvy as the longer it drags on the more the doubts will linger.

As it stands we would wrap it up by winning at Tannadice if us and Livi both win our 3 games each before then, which would be glorious.

On 3/26/2018 at 09:06, irvine_buddie said:

As it stands we would wrap it up by winning at Tannadice if us and Livi both win our 3 games each before then, which would be glorious.

Much rather win it at home to be honest. 

If we beat Inverness this weekend then I reckon we'll win it at Glebe Park. I can't see Livingston taking maximum points in their next three games. They go to Dumbarton and Dunfermline, and are at home to Morton.

We could win it next Tuesday night without playing. Livingston are away to Dunfermline.

I'm wondering if postponing the Falkirk game was a bit of a masterstroke. They were/are looking decent again and a slip against them could have knocked momentum. Wouldn't surprise me if we had the game moved the first time knowing full well the U-21s game would see it knocked back again. 

Not saying we're running scared of Falkirk, but the whole show could be over by the time we actually play them now. Imagine having the title confirmed having only played a team twice - and that being the shit pre-January version :lol:

6 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I'm wondering if postponing the Falkirk game was a bit of a masterstroke. They were/are looking decent again and a slip against them could have knocked momentum. Wouldn't surprise me if we had the game moved the first time knowing full well the U-21s game would see it knocked back again. 

Not saying we're running scared of Falkirk, but the whole show could be over by the time we actually play them now. Imagine having the title confirmed having only played a team twice - and that being the shit pre-January version :lol:

I don't think it would have mattered to be honest. Everytime we've lost, we've gone on a winning run straight after. People were all excited about us hitting a "sticky patch" and losing momentum after the Livi game. What actually happened is we went out and won 4 games in a row and blew Livi out of the race completely. Our losses, even the heavy ones, have barely affected us.

30 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

The Inverness away trip is going to be tricky however as since we've won up there last time they've only lost to Morton and drawn to Livi, won everything else. 

Last six for Caley reads WLLLDW  ,we should be looking to put them away same as pretty much every other team.

Same attitude as last night and we’ll be fine.

Home game for me as well :thumsup2