The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

19 minutes ago, ulysses said:

The manager that seemed to get the best out of Reilly was Fowler, and funnily enough, he's our assistant manager.

I was thinking along similar lines and it seems from what some are suggesting that the club expect to sign both players when their respective pay offs happen.

Was Fowler not at Stirling Albion when the lad Bikey was there?

Edited by glenburn bud

1 minute ago, glenburn bud said:

I was thinking along similar lines and it seems from what some are suggesting that the club expect to sign both players when their respective pay offs happen.

Was Fowler not at Stirling Albion when the lad Bikey was there?.&

Nah, Bikey was only at Stirling last season.

25 minutes ago, forzapars said:

I could definitely see it happening and it sounds like (going by the rumour above) that it's quite likely to be either him or Loy to sign for you lot next season. It's one that could go either way, but certainly not one that I can see many fans losing any sleep over. Except Hawk, a.k.a Gavin Reilly himself.

Think it's more likely to be both Loy and Reilly if we can get both. Loy will almost certainly be at the very top of our target list but of course there's no guarantee Dundee will let him go.

The more and more I read that we're chasing both guys, the more and more I think Sutton's days at the club are numbered...A shame as he provides a strong option for us.

Think it's more likely to be both Loy and Reilly if we can get both. Loy will almost certainly be at the very top of our target list but of course there's no guarantee Dundee will let him go.
The more and more I read that we're chasing both guys, the more and more I think Sutton's days at the club are numbered...A shame as he provides a strong option for us.

I may be wrong in saying this but before signing for you I believe there were brief murmurs of Sutton signing for Morton. I could see that deal going through, seems like the target man Duffy has always looked to bring in. Barrowman, Johnstone, Oyenuga & Shankland weren't all target men at all but were the more target man-like of our strikers if that makes sense.

However, probably not going to happen if we have Quitongo, Oliver and Thomson signed up already.

1 hour ago, ulysses said:

The manager that seemed to get the best out of Reilly was Fowler, and funnily enough, he's our assistant manager.

Not sure I would go quite that far. He played at least as well under Jim McIntyre before Fowler and did well under Allan Johnston previously with us despite his poor spell with Johnston this time. He did well for Fowler but not really any better than under his two predecessors and Dunfermline's experience already showed there is no guarantee of the formula working again elsewhere.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

6 hours ago, ulysses said:

Folk said that about Hutton.

5 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Nah, Bikey was only at Stirling last season.

I think Fowler was working at Stirling in some capacity, be it playing or coaching between leaving Queens and coming to us. They were about to appoint him manager before Ross made him his assistant.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

I think Fowler was working at Stirling in some capacity, be it playing or coaching between leaving Queens and coming to us. They were about to appoint him manager before Ross made him his assistant.

He played a couple of pre season games for Stirling and I think at least one or two games in League 2 as a Trialist. Dont think he ever did any coaching unless it was on a voluntary basis and not sure Bikey was there right at tbe start of the sesson was he? They did offer him the Manager's job just before you offered him tbe assistant position though.

On ‎26‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 17:58, Tri-TON said:

Maybe I'm missing something but what exactly is great about St.Mirren's signings? Reasonable signings, yes. I wouldn't say they were exactly mind-blowing signings.

A bit late in replying to this one but here goes................

We've got 8 out of 11 who started against Hibs - that's the bulk of the team who finished the season so strongly and have completed the signing of 4 guys who are generally regarded as "good prospects".

You're correct in that no individual signing is "change your underwear" standard but collectively it's not far short and it leaves JR with less work to do to complete the squad. I'd say we've got less plates spinning than this time last season.

5 hours ago, Stu said:

Hutton is an exception, he's a terrible footballer who should not be operating at this level. It became quite clear from an early stage with us that he was out of his depth, even at this level.

10 minutes ago, harry94 said:

What sort of contract is Ross on? Has he extended since he joined?

He's written 'this love will last forever' in blood. 

Actually, not sure. I think it's to the end of next season. Hasn't extended, but hopefully will.

10 minutes ago, harry94 said:

What sort of contract is Ross on? Has he extended since he joined?

Good question actually, had a wee gander online and there doesn't appear to be anything official. Only indication I can find is some bloke on Black and White Army's forum suggesting it was a 2 and a half year contract he signed.

At least let us keep him for next season so he can officially launch Operation Keep the DABs Doon.

Cheers guy. Our local press have just posted an article (just a few minutes ago) saying that he's our number one target.

I'd feel a bit guilty about not letting you have him to slay United this season and to crush some of your optimism but I'd personally be delighted. Really like him.

1 minute ago, harry94 said:

Cheers guy. Our local press have just posted an article (just a few minutes ago) saying that he's our number one target.

I'd feel a bit guilty about not letting you have him to slay United this season and to crush some of your optimism but I'd personally be delighted. Really like him.

I'd be surprised, not saying that he wouldn't leave us for you (musing that hypothetical has the potential to open up an unnecessary can of worms), but more that I'd be surprised that Dundee would go for him. He's only proven himself at Championship level for less than six months discounting November/December's form.