The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, ulysses said:

I know we need a centre half but got to imagine that left back is one of the targeted positions. I know Tait can play there but you'd imagine he'll be RB. Would rather see Ethan getting a run out at CM as that's his natural position. 

I don't think anyone wants to see Erhahon at LB, not even Erhahon himself! The lad seems to have something about him, just not in defence.

I agree with you, btw, we have plenty of cover for the RB position. Not only was Tait an RB before needing to cover LB at Motherwell, we'll have Flynn (when fit) and Sheron can cover at CB and RB going by reports.

For me we _need_ a CB an LB and ideally a versatile loan player who can cover both LB plus across the back.

I'm not overly concerned about the striking position, although an extra body in there would be nice.

Edited by Ric

1 hour ago, ulysses said:

I know we need a centre half but got to imagine that left back is one of the targeted positions. I know Tait can play there but you'd imagine he'll be RB. Would rather see Ethan getting a run out at CM as that's his natural position. 

Tait played primarily as first choice LB for 'Well for a couple of seasons.

If Flynn was match fit I'd say, given how well he has played at RB, he would be there and Tait at LB.

However, in our current situation, who knows?

18 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Tait played primarily as first choice LB for 'Well for a couple of seasons.

If Flynn was match fit I'd say, given how well he has played at RB, he would be there and Tait at LB.

However, in our current situation, who knows?

It really all depends on how Goodwin (and Flynn himself I suppose) sees his position now. I thought he did an admirable job at RB and we have quite the stock of midfielders so perhaps the idea is to play him there, which would more Tait over to LB. I believe however, Tait is a right sided player naturally and I'm keen on playing players in their more natural positions. What's more will Flynn be fit enough for the start of the season?

"Current situation" is the real operative phrase though. With a smaller squad, and with limited spaces in the midfield to accommodate him, Flynn's only guarantee of being in the starting 11 is at that RB position.

Edited by Ric

Goody loves players that can play multiple positions so can definitely see Flynn starting the season at RB. I would just prefer a left-footed player at LB.

If the Shaughnessy deal falls through, wonder if we'll be looking for a left-sided centre half like Famewo, who can also play LB? Or a LB who can play centre half, whatever way around 

Edited by ulysses

2 hours ago, Stu said:

From the PDE: "We’re relatively far down the line with one of them. Another one of those positions we feel we have to fill has had an offer."

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/jim-goodwin-insists-patience-vital-22333064

Last week he said we were close with two - guessing Sheron was one. 

The one that we're down the line with - mid 20s, plenty of experience, problem position - seems to point to Shaughnessy

44 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Wrote last year we should try and sign Nisbet see he is off to Hibs in a £250,000 deal.  He will do well in the premiership.  

No chance we could afford throwing quarter of a million at an unproven striker, at this level, last summer, never mind this summer with the current circumstances. We will be dealing in nominal fees at most.

1 minute ago, Biscuits said:

Awfy quiet in here emoji51.png

Yeah, it is, that said I'm not seeing Shaughnessy or Jakubiak signs for A N Other headlines either, so I mean.. that's good, right? ;)

Wrote last year we should try and sign Nisbet see he is off to Hibs in a £250,000 deal.  He will do well in the premiership.  
If I was a Hibs player I would tell the club to f**k off with the cuts they want them to take if they can splash that much on players.

20 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

No chance we could afford throwing quarter of a million at an unproven striker, at this level, last summer, never mind this summer with the current circumstances. We will be dealing in nominal fees at most.

Dont think I said we should or afford him. It was obvious even last year Nisbet would move on too bigger things.