The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

There's a Gus McPherson joke to be made in relation to how well stocked we are in the middle of the park...

That's Cammy, Foley, Magennis, Flynn, Erhahon, Sheron, McGrath all vying for, at most, three positions in the middle.

Of course, McGrath is a 10 or wide, and Magennis will be playing wide right, but still, plenty of options.

Feel Mcginnis is more comfortable on the middle than on the right but hey hoo that's Goodwin's call.  Just want to get the season up and runing with a few beers in front of the TV not as fun as being there. At least we wont cringe at constant swearing.  

1 minute ago, ZingaliMan said:

Feel Mcginnis is more comfortable on the middle than on the right but hey hoo that's Goodwin's call.  Just want to get the season up and runing with a few beers in front of the TV not as fun as being there. At least we wont cringe at constant swearing.  

Yeah, the thing about Magennis keeps coming up, but he keeps on not quite being one of our best two CMs. I'd pick Flynn (when fit), Foley and MacPherson ahead of him in the middle at the moment. 

10 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

There's a Gus McPherson joke to be made in relation to how well stocked we are in the middle of the park...

That's Cammy, Foley, Magennis, Flynn, Erhahon, Sheron, McGrath all vying for, at most, three positions in the middle.

Of course, McGrath is a 10 or wide, and Magennis will be playing wide right, but still, plenty of options.

3 at the back, incoming!

Tait, McCarthy, AN Other.

1 hour ago, Insaintee said:

Baird has great mentality, he was probably Morton's best player last year, And every time he's been given a chance he has stepped up and made himself first pick at centre half ahead of the likes of Mckenzie and Buchanan.  Can see him stepping up again 

I'm not sure this is true to be honest. Baird was certainly never ahead of McKenzie in the pecking order, whenever McKenzie was fit he seemed to play under Ross and Kearney. In fact, sometimes even when we went 3 at the back Muzek played CB ahead of Baird and Erhahaon played on the left.

Baird is a perfectly adequate championship defender, and fine as a back up for us, but I very much doubt we will be going into next season with him as first pick.

As back-up Baird will be fine, however I can't see him being any more than that unless he has made massive improvement while he was away. Put it this way, if you'd told me we were signing a centre half from the team with the worst defensive record in the division below I'd be pretty underwhelmed.

No idea what Nathan Sheron is like, hadn't heard of him until I looked at Twitter over lunch and thought for a moment it was a fake account trolling due to the almost generic nature of his name. Hopefully he comes to Scotland with a better attitude than his Fleetwood manager.

Oh, and I see Demented Zebra is back.

Edited by Stu

2 hours ago, virginton said:

lol wut

I'm not sure what's the more laughable claim here: stating that Baird was Morton's best player last season (not even close) or making himself first pick ahead of Gregor fucking Buchanan being classed as some sort of accomplishment.

Baird is an average Championship defender, no more but also no less (unlike Buchanan's gormless career arc) than that.

Morton season ticket holder in my work thinks differently from you - said he made a big difference and was hopeful he'd sign a contract with yous.

Has still to prove he has what it takes for the Premiership,  but has already shown he is decent at Championship level.

14 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Morton season ticket holder in my work thinks differently from you - said he made a big difference and was hopeful he'd sign a contract with yous.

Has still to prove he has what it takes for the Premiership,  but has already shown he is decent at Championship level.

Baird is 25 now it's his big chance to prove he can play at premiership level. Jim Goodwin has said he watched him a few times where Baird impressed.  Goodwin also said Hopkin told him he has been outstanding for Morton.  Baid wont reach the dizzy heights of much bigger clubs but he certainly is good enough for a small premiership club like us, my opinion of course. 

1 minute ago, ZingaliMan said:

Baird is 25 now it's his big chance to prove he can play at premiership level. Jim Goodwin has said he watched him a few times where Baird impressed.  Goodwin also said Hopkin told him he has been outstanding for Morton.  Baid wont reach the dizzy heights of much bigger clubs but he certainly is good enough for a small premiership club like us, my opinion of course. 

Definitely good enough for the squad. 

1 hour ago, Munoz said:

He was the best centre-back of a very bad lot, as our defensive record last season ought to indicate. He wasn't the best defender in the team never mind the best player, which was Nicky Cadden who won every POTY award by a country mile. We could certainly have done a lot worse than re-signing him but that's about it. It's certainly possible that Goodwin will get more out of him but you're not getting a improved and Premiership-ready defender back. 

8 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

You still haven't learned to spell his name?

Latest club update.

https://www.stmirren.com/all-news/3712-covid-19-week-17-update-7th-july-2020?fbclid=IwAR2MBLkN0CZeSUEerBg1Ibn0lGqI44kxZNubLW0MRfxxFgHhO2yIMFgsOXE

2 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

The long sleeved version of the shirt looks tremendous from the front, such a pity that the black back spoils it.

image.png.e5782f5a445407821d6252e8b6c38917.png

Similar to what Beith used not so long ago all black at the back. Shame as the front is spot on if the back had the stripes I would have bought it myself.  

Goodwin in today's DR stating that we had six targeted positions to fill, which were identified in January, and we have now filled three of them.

Three still to go, with one of the three "that we're relatively far down the line with". Possibly Shaughnessy?

35 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Goodwin in today's DR stating that we had six targeted positions to fill, which were identified in January, and we have now filled three of them.

Three still to go, with one of the three "that we're relatively far down the line with". Possibly Shaughnessy?

You'd imagine it will be another striker and centre back that are priority.