djchapsticks

The St. Mirren FC 2020/21 (If it happens!) Thread

10 minutes ago, Ric said:

I'd be tempted with a pay for play deal with Flynn. I think many people remember him from being a winger years ago and when he rocked up at Greenhill Road I think many still expected that of him, but after seeing him put in a shift in midfield and covering so ably at full back I think he's earned the right to play. All depends on his mentality and fitness. That said, that's the same for any player.

@djchapsticks Any idea what sort of wages Famewo was/is on? I wouldn't want to put all our eggs into one basket but for me he'd be worth seeing if a return was possible.

Wonder what Popescu is up to these days.. ;)

Given the leaps and bounds that surgery to repair ACL injuries has experienced over the years, I'd be very surprised if a 31 year old would even entertain that type of deal, even in these difficult times.

Given his versatility and his form over the past 18 months, I'd be surprised if he wasn't one of the few being offered a new contract.

Popescu played regularly for Dinamo Bucharest last season and is contracted until June '21. Never going to happen I'm afraid.

Given that he's probably got unfinished business with us, I could see why Famewo might want to come back up.

Goodwin said we had six targets identified, but ,for obvious reasons, we weren't in a position to move forward with them.

14 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Given the leaps and bounds that surgery to repair ACL injuries has experienced over the years, I'd be very surprised if a 31 year old would even entertain that type of deal, even in these difficult times.

Given his versatility and his form over the past 18 months, I'd be surprised if he wasn't one of the few being offered a new contract.

That's good to know. I do think he's got something to offer.

54 minutes ago, Ric said:

I'd be tempted with a pay for play deal with Flynn. I think many people remember him from being a winger years ago and when he rocked up at Greenhill Road I think many still expected that of him, but after seeing him put in a shift in midfield and covering so ably at full back I think he's earned the right to play. All depends on his mentality and fitness. That said, that's the same for any player.

@djchapsticks Any idea what sort of wages Famewo was/is on? I wouldn't want to put all our eggs into one basket but for me he'd be worth seeing if a return was possible.

Wonder what Popescu is up to these days.. ;)

No idea.

I'd love Popescu back but think we can put paid to notion of bringing in many foreign players from here on out. 

Foreign travel restrictions will be in place for a relatively long time, coupled with Brexit going to make it harder for foreign players coming over unless they are on wages way beyond our scope. 

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

No idea.

I'd love Popescu back but think we can put paid to notion of bringing in many foreign players from here on out. 

Foreign travel restrictions will be in place for a relatively long time, coupled with Brexit going to make it harder for foreign players coming over unless they are on wages way beyond our scope. 

That's a very fair point. My Popescu comment was a little tongue in cheek, but as @FTOF says he was a regular with Bucharest anyway.

I listened to Goody on Sportsound today and he mentioned we have 12 players contracted for the coming season (whenever that happens) I presume that's senior players. I honestly don't know but I'm guessing we'll be moving some up from the youth ranks to fill in some of the gaps as well as looking to get more on board.

Any idea how Erhahon did down at Barnsley? Checking their website, it doesn't look like he got any game time.

7 minutes ago, Ric said:

That's a very fair point. My Popescu comment was a little tongue in cheek, but as @FTOF says he was a regular with Bucharest anyway.

I listened to Goody on Sportsound today and he mentioned we have 12 players contracted for the coming season (whenever that happens) I presume that's senior players. I honestly don't know but I'm guessing we'll be moving some up from the youth ranks to fill in some of the gaps as well as looking to get more on board.

Any idea how Erhahon did down at Barnsley? Checking their website, it doesn't look like he got any game time.

Was a development loan. Think he played regularly for their U23 side which was all it was ever going to be.

I'd have Ethan back in a heartbeat. We did the lad a disservice by continuing to play him at let back. Folk forget just how young he still is. He only turned 19 last week.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

He only turned 19 last week.

Talking of age, I'm surprised Cooke is so old I honestly thought he was 3 or 4 years younger. McAllister on the other hand I thought was 2 or 3 years older!

8 hours ago, Ric said:

Talking of age, I'm surprised Cooke is so old I honestly thought he was 3 or 4 years younger. McAllister on the other hand I thought was 2 or 3 years older!

Yeah, I had Cooke pegged as 'one for the future' until someone pointed out his age!

As pointed out above, Brexit and Corona could really create a perfect storm in terms of reducing the selection, and therefore the quality, of players available to all Scottish teams. It will also completely wipe out transfer budgets of the sort of teams that typically buy from Scotland (ie Championship/League One in England).

Also, we don't yet know what impact it's going to have on people's willingness/ability to relocate. It's one thing doing social distancing in your own town, but imagine doing that in a strange place (if you're someone like Famewo, for example). It might be that teams such as ours, and others of a similar size, have to look a lot closer to home to fill squads for a couple of years.

It wouldn't surprise me if Jim has to readjust his views on Jack Baird, as the most obvious example, and I certainly hope Erhahon will get his chance as a DM.

Edited by Coventry Saint

£8k a week for Lee Hodson is ridiculous! He must have some agent. Would agree with FTOF that we should re-sign Flynn, Hladky & Wallace, if possible. I was really impressed with Wallace in the games against Motherwell & Hearts thought once he was up to full fitness he’d be a good player to have.
McGinn and Mackenzie been good players over the years but sadly think their better days are behind them now. Mullen has also been a good player for us and still has a decent career ahead of him we just have better options now. Cooke should’ve been walked out the door last summer - hopeless regardless of his age.
I can see Andreu being offered another year by Goodwin, he obvious likes him and might see him as a decent option of the bench. I’d punt him. Of the loan players I’d have Famewo & Jakubiak back the others can go. Would get rid of Morias while we are at it.

9th it is then. Highest finish since 2014 and a cup quarter final. We’d certainly all have taken that in August. Real progress being made under Goody.

I can’t imagine us offering many new contracts till we know for sure when next season will be starting.

Hladky has had an extension on the table since last season, he’s made it clear he isn’t interested in signing it though. Other clubs will offer him more money and that will be that, fair play to him.

2 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

£8k a week for Lee Hodson is ridiculous! He must have some agent. Would agree with FTOF that we should re-sign Flynn, Hladky & Wallace, if possible. I was really impressed with Wallace in the games against Motherwell & Hearts thought once he was up to full fitness he’d be a good player to have.
McGinn and Mackenzie been good players over the years but sadly think their better days are behind them now. Mullen has also been a good player for us and still has a decent career ahead of him we just have better options now. Cooke should’ve been walked out the door last summer - hopeless regardless of his age.
I can see Andreu being offered another year by Goodwin, he obvious likes him and might see him as a decent option of the bench. I’d punt him. Of the loan players I’d have Famewo & Jakubiak back the others can go. Would get rid of Morias while we are at it.

Andreu is in today's PDE in an interview. He talks about being worried about not being able to sign for another club as he's out of contract in three weeks.

Goodwin did say that he's been up front with the out of contract players about their future prospects.

So who knows? As much as he chipped in with a couple of goals and assists, I thought Andreu got more appearances than his overall performances deserved.

Edited by FTOF

50 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Andreu is in today's PDE in an interview. He talks about being worried about not being able to sign for another club as he's out of contract in three weeks.

Goodwin did say that he's been up front with the out of contract players about their future prospects.

So who knows? As much as he chipped in with a couple of goals and assists, I thought Andreu got more appearances than his overall performances deserved.

Andreu had the odd moment of skill but was worse than a man down when he was having a poor game, would definitely get rid. I'd agree that we should just try to resign Flynn, Hladky and possibly Wallace. I suppose it might be worth keeping Cooke or Mullen if we're going to be short of strikers to sign given the circumstances.

2 minutes ago, Gareth_Glasgow said:

Andreu had the odd moment of skill but was worse than a man down when he was having a poor game, would definitely get rid. I'd agree that we should just try to resign Flynn, Hladky and possibly Wallace. I suppose it might be worth keeping Cooke or Mullen if we're going to be short of strikers to sign given the circumstances.

Andreu's touch and technique is a thing of wonder but his best is definitely behind him. 

And yet, for all of the touch and technique, his composure deserted him. I found myself getting angrier and angrier every time the ball dropped to him 13, 14 yards out and he nearly cleared the stand. So frustrating.

We are going to trim the squad significantly. Funnily enough, with everything going on just now, I wasn't bothered previously but I'd keep Mullen about. He's going to be an asset in the new version of Scottish football that is coming around.

36 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Andreu's touch and technique is a thing of wonder but his best is definitely behind him. 

And yet, for all of the touch and technique, his composure deserted him. I found myself getting angrier and angrier every time the ball dropped to him 13, 14 yards out and he nearly cleared the stand. So frustrating.

We are going to trim the squad significantly. Funnily enough, with everything going on just now, I wasn't bothered previously but I'd keep Mullen about. He's going to be an asset in the new version of Scottish football that is coming around.

Yep exactly, he was actually more frustrating to watch than a lot of much poorer players we've seen. He also had a few games where his touch was atrocious, I seem to remember him coming off the bench once and immediately giving away a goal?

I'd pick Mullen ahead of Cooke too.

6 hours ago, Gareth_Glasgow said:

There have been far worse players than Andrey over the past few years but he hasn't done enough for me.

Wallace looked good the games he played but by the time we're playing again he'll be 35 (possibly going on 36) and only played a handful of games in 2 years.

Flynn deserves another deal no question. I'd keep Mullen too but Goodwin clearly doesn't fancy him.

Andreu was never as bad as some folk make out, but some of his poorer moments were high profile, like the penalty miss against Aberdeen, and he's just not as good as he used to be. The 2016/17 Andreu would have been great, but that's not what we got. He still contributed though, 2 goals and 6 assists I think it was, it's not that bad considering he didn't start every game. I wouldn't keep him, but I don't think he deserved so much stick. Our fans are weird like that.

3 hours ago, Stu said:

According to this article, Goodwin has already talked to the players who aren't being kept on so hopefully we hear something in the next few days.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/other-soccer/goodwin-shows-premier-class-by-keeping-saints-in-top-flight-39219500.html

Any chance you could post some of the details, it's behind a paywall.

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

Any chance you could post some of the details, it's behind a paywall.

I just had a look at the article and was thinking the same.