The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Craig's was impressively bad. Are guys like Plummer and Drury even still playing football? How they got a contract at Man City in the first place is beyond me.

One day, when I get a spare five hours, I'm going to make one of those Sporcle quizzes with everyone who featured for us between Lennon leaving and the end of last season. I'd been going to end it with the end of the first Great Escape season but the Stubbs and Kearney windows merit inclusion too.

Last year's squad on its own would be fairly tough.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Craig's was impressively bad. Are guys like Plummer and Drury even still playing football? How they got a contract at Man City in the first place is beyond me.

One day, when I get a spare five hours, I'm going to make one of those Sporcle quizzes with everyone who featured for us between Lennon leaving and the end of last season. I'd been going to end it with the end of the first Great Escape season but the Stubbs and Kearney windows merit inclusion too.

Ian Murray's recruitment was right up there too. Don't think I've ever seen a team like that. As a collective, they had zero capacity to close anyone down.  I still have nightmares about Dumbarton waltzing through us like we weren't there in the first home game under his stewardship.

David Hay, John Coughlin we have had more than our fair share of Duds. Best managers in my life time was Alex Wright first season relegated, bounced back up the following season. Went on a run off 22 matches with only 3 defeats had us third in the league for long spells.  Alex Ferguson came in when we were a right old mess. Some home games were less than 2,000 through the gates within two years we had 12,000 and more through the gates.  

57 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

David Hay, John Coughlin we have had more than our fair share of Duds. Best managers in my life time was Alex Wright first season relegated, bounced back up the following season. Went on a run off 22 matches with only 3 defeats had us third in the league for long spells.  Alex Ferguson came in when we were a right old mess. Some home games were less than 2,000 through the gates within two years we had 12,000 and more through the gates.  

I can recall a Wed night game v East Fife at Love street under the lights 1977 as a young kid ,there must have been over 10,000 at the game. Fergies furies were an absolute joy to watch. 

Bobby Torrance and Fitzy were the scorers. Great memories.

Telling your players that they are all shite then that is demolishing a squad. Yea, a couple of players had left but he also told Baird, Smith, Eck, Bank to find new clubs. He told the Board to get rid of Stephen McGinn. He also told Reilly who was ready to resign to f**k off. All were regulars in that Championship winning team.  And he sold Ross Stewart after telling the lad he would not feature. Hardly a management style to gel a squad together.

So he didn’t actually physically demolish the side? He spiritually demolished it based on a comment that is unsubstantiated hearsay? ( and was basically true)

And Kearney actually did punt Eck and Smith while Jack Ross punted Stewart back to Alloa on loan. We’re they examples of bad management style?

Players get told to find new clubs all the time.

Even all that could have been justified if he had signed better players to replace them, but he didn't, he signed either utter shite, or hopelessly inexperienced guys who weren't ready for what was expected of them.

But he didn’t actually get rid of Baird, Eck or Smith.

And he did sign Coulson to replace the injured Eck and he’s now getting a regular game with Middlesbrough in the Championship.

30 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I can recall a Wed night game v East Fife at Love street under the lights 1977 as a young kid ,there must have been over 10,000 at the game. Fergies furies were an absolute joy to watch. 

Would love to see them days back again 

So.  Looking ahead to the next 3 games, I'd hope that the well drilled and organised team efforts continue.  There seems to be a real belief around the place.  One swallow doesn't make a Summer, i get it.  But the performances have been on the up on where we were all expecting or fearing and there's a feel good factor surrounding Goodwin's return.  

I'd hope for 6 points from 3 games.  

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1976&GameID=197703020

Attendance 4706