The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

4 hours ago, AlloaAdam said:

Getting quite sick of you lads tbh.

I hope you don’t go back for Hartley as he’s got more baggage than a charter holiday flight to Magaluf. Another young guy like Ross or Goodwin would see the good work at your club carried on.

9 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Aww wee bitter bollocks is still bitter.

He was our most successful manager, according to himself.

Strange that He's never had a managerial gig since he left the buds*? 🤔

*not strange

3 hours ago, weetoonlad said:

Would James Craigan or Callum Davidson fit the bill

I think James Craigen is a bit young at 28 and would be more likely to continue his playing career...

Stephen Craigan could be a good shout as could Callum Davidson. 

PT gig could especially suit Craigan with his media work and he will have a good knowledge of the youth players in Scotland. 

Also should be a shoe-in to get any loan players made available by Motherwell?

He felt 3 1/2 years was long enough in the role and a lot of his charges had worked through to first team football, moves away and even International football.

Felt a fresh face would be better. 

This could be a decent challenge for him.

I have no issue with Goodwin getting the job. From the outside, he seems to have done well with Alloa and has the best part of three years' managerial experience, as well as coaching before that. With all due respect to Alloa, he's probably done as much as he can with them as I'd be surprised if he can get them into the promotion play-offs. There's no telling if it will work or not - Lennon and Murray had similar backgrounds with part-time clubs and wildly differing results. I wasn't totally convinced about appointing him last summer or when we binned Stubbs but have no problem with it now.

The quickness of the Kearney stuff combined with Goodwin being the obvious pick means there hasn't really been any discussion over alternatives.  There isn't really anyone else in a job in Scotland that stands out - Stewart Petrie seems to have done well but has even less experience, and at a lower level, than Goodwin. You'd then be going for the usual old faces who are out of work - bit different to last year when there were what looked like decent guys such as Neilson and Stubbs (oops) available - a coach who is untested as a manager or a rather left field appointment like Killie have managed recently or the randoms we were getting linked with last summer.

I'd wondered if folk would have wanted him as manager if he didn't already have a Saints connection but it does seem as if he's the best, realistic candidate  and the fact he's a cup winning captain with us is an added bonus.

Whether or not we should have have had a more extensive search, invited candidates etc is another issue but this has happened at such a late stage in the day we didn't really have time to fanny about.

Edited by Stu

The fact that Goodwin was a cup winning captain and a bit of a St Mirren legend will help greatly in the circumstances. Those circumstances being a decent looking manager pissing off home in a seemingly bitter manner with the blame game ongoing. Jim will have a fair amount of goodwill in the tank, and is someone we can get behind. Hope it works out. Lots of questions though...

Where does he live? How far is the commute from downtown Alloa? Will Jim and Gordon come to blows before Christmas? Will Tony tell him his remit is to stop Sellik getting nine in a row?

Hope Goodwin does well for you guys, I think he's the best manager in the Championship and I really like his no bulllshit style of interviews, the only man from that league I would consider changing for our own manager.

A wee bit gutted for Alloa and their fans, one of my favourite away days and a well run club.

Edited by ayrmad

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I'd wondered if folk would have wanted him as manager if he didn't already have a Saints connection but it does seem as if he's the best, realistic candidate  and the fact he's a cup winning captain with us is an added bonus.

If it reassures you to any end, I would've taken him at Livi if Holt went to Killie. 

Manager with a track record of working well with a limited budget and fighting against the odds to stay in the league, would've fit perfectly for us. Depends on what you guys see yourself as, and if TF is pushing for top 6 in a serious way or just riling folk up? 

If it reassures you to any end, I would've taken him at Livi if Holt went to Killie. 

Manager with a track record of working well with a limited budget and fighting against the odds to stay in the league, would've fit perfectly for us. Depends on what you guys see yourself as, and if TF is pushing for top 6 in a serious way or just riling folk up? 
I think TF is being serious when he says that stuff, but i don't think any StMirren fan takes it as gospel, Jack Ross laughed it off before.

It seems to rile opposition fans for whatever reason though.