The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

The St Mirren club website has outdone itself with their choice of photo to accompany this particular story. Honestly, amateur hour doesn’t cover it. Someone needs to Photoshop a wee banner underneath saying ‘oh no we aren’t’.

61EC4E12-23CC-4595-BFE2-B6C82DD9DDBB.jpeg

Edited by pozbaird

5 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Some seem set against him. Can't understand it myself: my main question would be if not him, then who?

Obviously the circumstances he’d be taking over in are hugely different and no managers are the same so it’s a pointless comparison, but to play Devil’s Advocate you could make the argument that the last time you appointed a manager who’d overachieved with a part-time Championship club it was a disaster.

All things considered the job Murray did with Dumbarton was considerably more impressive than Goodwin’s with Alloa as well, and that’s meant as a compliment to Murray rather than a criticism of Goodwin.

17 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Obviously the circumstances he’d be taking over in are hugely different and no managers are the same so it’s a pointless comparison, but to play Devil’s Advocate you could make the argument that the last time you appointed a manager who’d overachieved with a part-time Championship club it was a disaster.

All things considered the job Murray did with Dumbarton was considerably more impressive than Goodwin’s with Alloa as well, and that’s meant as a compliment to Murray rather than a criticism of Goodwin.

That's reasonable, though Jack Ross didn't even manage Alloa at Champ level and he turned out ok. 

I actually feel a bit bad for Murray - we were the wrong club at the wrong time for him and I can't help but feel we've trashed an otherwise promising manager's career. (And yes, everything in that sentence could be getting applied to Goodwin in a year's time.) However, I know we are a bit of a laughing stock at the moment, but let's not pretend we're in anywhere near as much of a state as we were at the start of the 2015-16 season when Murray was handed a ridiculously tough job with some properly unmanageable 'big character' players near the end of their careers in the dressing room. I forget who they were... 😐

5 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Not that bad for me. End of the day, he'll always work to protect the club's interests first and foremost. He's an easy target for a section of the support and has done things wrong (demonizing of the W7 section, appointment of Stubbs) but he's gotten more correct than wrong I feel. 

I am highly critical of the lack of communication from the club in this instance, especially with the potential cancellation of the game on Saturday, though I do understand. 

An admission of the cancellation of the Coleraine game would be as good as saying he's gone and I'm quite sure we can't announce that until it's legally finalised. 

If we are legally obligated to go through with the Coleraine match though as part of the deal that took OK to us and he's in their dugout on Saturday (which seems likely at this point), Scottish fitba will have a high madness bar set very early on in the season, even by its own lofty standards. :lol:

I would disagree it seems pretty clear OK has tried to bounce the club into accepting his terms for the new season but I reckon GLSs reaction is mostly about keeping his alpha-male status at the club.

This will be a costly series of outcomes from this ill-timed decision but more importantly we're breaking up a set-up which despite some shaky moments provided us with a great end to last season.

10 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Is there any word on Muzek? 

He was offered new terms along with Gary Mac who was training yesterday but no-one seems to be saying anything about whether Mateo has accepted, rejected or is even still in the building. 

As in, Matteo "don't take away the" Muzek?

…………………..I'll get my kazoo.

Edited by AllyM

13 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

Jim Goodwin appointed by Friday will do for me. We all move on and get on with the new season preparations.

Compensation already agreed with Alloa for Goodwin I hear.

14 hours ago, btb said:

I would disagree it seems pretty clear OK has tried to bounce the club into accepting his terms for the new season but I reckon GLSs reaction is mostly about keeping his alpha-male status at the club.

The longer this has run on, and the longer the club has said nothing, the more convinced I am that OK has tried to move the goalposts in some way. It is clear that whatever arrangements were in place last season worked therefore why change them unless either something was agreed/written enabling them to change and the parties can't agree on how they should change or one party has proposed a change out of the blue and has tried to force acceptance of it and the other isn't happy about it.

It's easy to join the dots of OK's teaching & Coleraine jobs still being available as a personal Plan B for him, but what club would leave their managerial position empty for so long in the summer with little evidence of trying to find someone unless it was part of a longer game with the knowledge/probability that their preferred candidate would be available in the future? Even OK's comments after the play-offs about working out a solution to his living arrangements started alarm bells ringing for me. 

Frustrating as it is, based on the above, I don't blame GLS or the club for digging their heels in if that is what's happening.  My guess is that money could make this situation go away but If the club/GLS was to give-in to a settlement beyond what is due under the circumstances it would open the door to any future manager or player thinking they can chance their arm in negotiations. I get the point about retaining "alpha male" status, but at the end of the day it's business.

There seems to be some mumblings from across the water that maybe Kearney isn't going to be the new Coleraine manager after all. I wonder if that could be part of the reason why this is taking so long? Can we put something into his settlement that stops him taking another football job for a while? Or maybe we have a good case for compensation if he does go there?

6 minutes ago, GAD said:

There seems to be some mumblings from across the water that maybe Kearney isn't going to be the new Coleraine manager after all. I wonder if that could be part of the reason why this is taking so long? Can we put something into his settlement that stops him taking another football job for a while? Or maybe we have a good case for compensation if he does go there?

I'll be honest, I hope we're not doing that. It's not like he's going to a rival, and he's hardly trampled over us in a bid for fame and glory. I do believe he's possibly been at it over the past six weeks, but surely it's better to let all sides move on.

He's essentially a good guy, I don't like the idea that we're deliberately fucking him over.

Edited by Coventry Saint

4 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I'll be honest, I hope we're not doing that. It's not like he's going to a rival, and he's hardly trampled over us in a bid for fame and glory. I do believe he's possibly been at it over the past six months, but surely it's better to let all sides move on.

He's essentially a good guy, I don't like the idea that we're deliberately fucking him over.

I know what you mean, but in the other hand we took a risk on this guy and gave him his first full time gig, we paid compensation for him, we backed him when things weren't going so well and backed him in the transfer window. If him and Coleraine have fucked us over here, I can see why we want to give a bit back.

Anyway, this just comes from a guy I used to work with that lives over there now and a tweet from one of those "Irish league insider" guys so it's probably bullshit!

May well be Saints that are holding announcing the whole thing up while the agree terms with a new manager (Goodwin). So that we can do some sort of announcement similar to when Rodgers left Celtic and Lennon was immediately appointed albeit on an interim basis. This would at least ease some of the uncertainty that we’ve started this new season with.

2 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

May well be Saints that are holding announcing the whole thing up while the agree terms with a new manager (Goodwin). So that we can do some sort of announcement similar to when Rodgers left Celtic and Lennon was immediately appointed albeit on an interim basis. This would at least ease some of the uncertainty that we’ve started this new season with.

If we are the good guys in all of this, it could be that finalisation of any settlement with OK/Coleraine needs to factor in any compensation payable to Alloa (other club's managers are available), hence the hold up in a formal announcement

39 minutes ago, GAD said:

I know what you mean, but in the other hand we took a risk on this guy and gave him his first full time gig, we paid compensation for him, we backed him when things weren't going so well and backed him in the transfer window. If him and Coleraine have fucked us over here, I can see why we want to give a bit back.

Anyway, this just comes from a guy I used to work with that lives over there now and a tweet from one of those "Irish league insider" guys so it's probably bullshit!

Yeah, completely. I think there's a fine line between not being taken for mugs, and not being complete dicks. I hope we stand up for ourselves (I'm sure GLS is doing that!) without wrecking this guy's future.

That Irish League Insider guy is a bit of an oddball, mind! On the one hand, you have to say fair fucks to him for calling this several weeks ago... on the other hand, he's a complete fruitloop 😂