The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

Some seem set against him. Can't understand it myself: my main question would be if not him, then who?

Some seem to think GLS is a cross between the Anti-Christ and Donald Trump.

We're a strange bunch.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Wait... I was a fan of Kearney but Fergie and Kearney in the same breath is absolutely hilarious. 

Kearney's legacy will now be that he was a decent short term fix for a club who had lost all momentum last summer. 

It's absolutely vital that doesn't happen again. If we move quickly, the impact will be minimal. It's actually worked out decent for us as there is no assistant there at present, whoever comes in should be allowed to bring his own choice of number 2 in with him. 

Fergie wasn’t a legend at the time.But St .Mirren could have gone far with Fergie.The place was buzzing again a bit like the old days.

56 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Some seem to think GLS is a cross between the Anti-Christ and Donald Trump.

We're a strange bunch.

Not that bad for me. End of the day, he'll always work to protect the club's interests first and foremost. He's an easy target for a section of the support and has done things wrong (demonizing of the W7 section, appointment of Stubbs) but he's gotten more correct than wrong I feel. 

I am highly critical of the lack of communication from the club in this instance, especially with the potential cancellation of the game on Saturday, though I do understand. 

An admission of the cancellation of the Coleraine game would be as good as saying he's gone and I'm quite sure we can't announce that until it's legally finalised. 

If we are legally obligated to go through with the Coleraine match though as part of the deal that took OK to us and he's in their dugout on Saturday (which seems likely at this point), Scottish fitba will have a high madness bar set very early on in the season, even by its own lofty standards. :lol:

Edited by djchapsticks

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

If we are legally obligated to go through with the Coleraine match though as part of the deal that took OK to us and he's in their dugout on Saturday (which seems likely at this point), Scottish fitba will have a high madness bar set very early on in the season, even by its own lofty standards. :lol:

It would hold no value any more for Coleraine and you'd hope they'd let us off it from that point of view. We'd be fielding a scratch team that wasn't trying, and now we'd be sending no fans as they've (finally, on the QT) been advised to cancel their tickets (only getting a 50% refund from the ferry in the process).

Previously the match might have held significance if OK was going back to see his former side, but now, as a returning hero, they'd only be going to see him, and it makes no difference who they'd be playing.

But yeah, imagine the scenes if we're made to play it 😂

Almost certain the reason Goodwin isn’t at Dundee is nothing to do with yourselves. Think there was a good few factors that he wasn’t keen on and no point giving up his really good outside of football without it being perfect. Bringing Lee Sharp with him, the technical director role and contract length all were mentioned. Also, pretty sure it was the time Kearney came out and said he was committed for next season and all seemed well.

Not gonna lie, pretty gutted we’ve found ourselves caught up in your shambles once again haha! Don’t see any other outcome other than Goody back, I’m sure you will be much more willing to meet his demands than Dundee given the timing and the history.

You’re piling up the favours you owe us here ...! [emoji38]

28 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

Almost certain the reason Goodwin isn’t at Dundee is nothing to do with yourselves. Think there was a good few factors that he wasn’t keen on and no point giving up his really good outside of football without it being perfect. Bringing Lee Sharp with him, the technical director role and contract length all were mentioned. Also, pretty sure it was the time Kearney came out and said he was committed for next season and all seemed well.

Not gonna lie, pretty gutted we’ve found ourselves caught up in your shambles once again haha! Don’t see any other outcome other than Goody back, I’m sure you will be much more willing to meet his demands than Dundee given the timing and the history.

You’re piling up the favours you owe us here ...! emoji38.png

The technical director thing was more to the youth side rather than a direct management oversight. The club wanted assurances that he'd have an experienced coaching team or advisory set-up and tasked him to sort that out and he put his proposal forward which was workable and wasn't a big deal. When it come down to money and size of contract, he had very different expectations than the club had (maybe for the reason you mention with his current employment good) and that's what stalled things with the Dundee board being fairly set on some type of rolling contract. McPake was then working in the background so gave the board an alternative and they went for it.

Hmm, maybe the "mutual termination" isn't going as smoothly as expected. I'm no expert on employment law, but would St Mirren be in their rights to stick Kearney on Gardening leave until Christmas or whatever, if they were feeling particularly malicious?

Alan Wardrop tweeted last night an official statement either last night or this morning. That time is passing. Meanwhile the chairman is in Las Vegas while Tony Fitzpatrick is aboard on holiday. The squad is back in training with no manager. Seriously this is one huge mess I for one would be surprised if Goodwin would want to come to us under such an amateur leadership running the club. 

12 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Alan Wardrop tweeted last night an official statement either last night or this morning. That time is passing. Meanwhile the chairman is in Las Vegas while Tony Fitzpatrick is aboard on holiday. The squad is back in training with no manager. Seriously this is one huge mess I for one would be surprised if Goodwin would want to come to us under such an amateur leadership running the club. 

We have enough coaches to take training what we don't have is enough players 

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Not that bad for me. End of the day, he'll always work to protect the club's interests first and foremost. He's an easy target for a section of the support and has done things wrong (demonizing of the W7 section, appointment of Stubbs) but he's gotten more correct than wrong I feel. 

I am highly critical of the lack of communication from the club in this instance, especially with the potential cancellation of the game on Saturday, though I do understand. 

An admission of the cancellation of the Coleraine game would be as good as saying he's gone and I'm quite sure we can't announce that until it's legally finalised. 

Good article .i Agree we are never told what’s going on at our club.If the chairman was transparent and told us what he can we would probably be more understanding..It doesnt look good he hasn’t rushed back to sort things out.