The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I doubt Increasing his wages slightly will make any difference. Dundee will still be able to pay him more. The only thing that will stop him going to Dundee is if he doesn't feel comfortable with the current owners up there. It might be the only chance he gets to manage his team though which is bound to have a strong pull.

I'd be very surprised indeed if we allow Dundee to even reach the point where they can talk to him to be honest. 

Jack Ross is the Messiah....... Would have him at Broadwood (or where ever we intend to play!!)  in a heartbeat

His stock is on the rise, but I suspect he'll stay and take the Saints up first and foremost next season, and then who knows, may wish to do the decent thing and take his first love The Mighty Bully Wee back to where we belong in the Scottish Premiership..............what, c'mon only having a jest calm down...........................

All the best Buddies, you've got a good yin and keep him for the foreseeable...........................

11 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'd be very surprised indeed if we allow Dundee to even reach the point where they can talk to him to be honest. 

Yeah and then he resigns and goes anyway or your left with a very pissed off manager.  To be honest I reckon he might have stayed if it was a straight choice but the fact he's a massive Dundee fan swings it for me I'm afraid.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

7 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Yeah but look at his cup record. He busted a 116 year winless run, Dundee are clearly hoping he can smash a 107 year winless run.

He also came behind us in the league with a 5 times bigger budget. 

5 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Yeah and then he resigns and goes anyway or your left with a very pissed off manager.  To be honest I reckon he might have stayed if it was a straight choice but the fact he's a massive Dundee fan swings it for me I'm afraid.

I'm pretty sure that he'd be unable to resign and take the job on regardless. If that was the case then contracts are completely meaningless and not worth the paper they are written on. 

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'm pretty sure that he'd be unable to resign and take the job on regardless. If that was the case then contracts are completely meaningless and not worth the paper they are written on. 

You've just realised that? Its been happening for years. Happened to us with Jeffries and McCall.

50 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

I, for one, am not trying to convince myself.

Dundee's last set of accounts show -

They made a £530,00 loss last season.

Club wages increased by £175,000 (to just avoid relegation).

Maintenance bill for a dilapidated stadium increased by £50,000 last season.

An additional £500,000 will be required next season for rent increases.

All those figures are for the year ended 31 May 2016, not last season.

8 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

His love of Dundee seems to be growing all the time. I've literally never heard it mentioned before.

As for him being pissed off if he can't leave, I think that's bullshit. He's just managed to talk an apparently disconsolate Stevie Mallan around after his move fell through in January, and coached him to producing the best form of his career in order to get the move to Barnsley he craved. If we block Dundee's way, Jack will apply himself and get a move to an even bigger club at the end of next season.

6 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Of course he could resign and take the job. It's a free market and you can't stop it. However the football authorities will make Dundee pay compensation for it, and potentially fine them for breach of contract if it was found they spoke to him without permission. None of that would prevent him actually taking the job though if Dundee were prepared to take that risk.

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

It's no different to you resigning from your job to take up another job offer somewhere else. 

4 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

His love of Dundee seems to be growing all the time. I've literally never heard it mentioned before.

As for him being pissed off if he can't leave, I think that's bullshit. He's just managed to talk an apparently disconsolate Stevie Mallan around after his move fell through in January, and coached him to producing the best form of his career in order to get the move to Barnsley he craved. If we block Dundee's way, Jack will apply himself and get a move to an even bigger club at the end of next season.

Don't believe me if you want mate. Was in my brothers school team and has always been a massive Dundee fan. Its ok saying yeah you'll get a move to a bigger club at the end of the season but that's in all probability not going to be Dundee. 

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Don't believe me if you want mate. Was in my brothers school team and has always been a massive Dundee fan. Its ok saying yeah you'll get a move to a bigger club at the end of the season but that's in all probability not going to be Dundee. 

I wasn't disbelieving you really, it was just it's gone from 'he liked them as a boy' to being a 'massive fan'. Happy to take you at your word on that.

I'm sure he's bustin at the chance to get sacked by his boyhood heroes in two years' time :P

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

I wasn't disbelieving you really, it was just it's gone from 'he liked them as a boy' to being a 'massive fan'. Happy to take you at your word on that.

I'm sure he's bustin at the chance to get sacked by his boyhood heroes in two years' time :P

Come on sir your mis quoting me here. My first mention of it was :

'Jack Ross is a big Dundee fan and has been since he was at school'

Now that doesnt say to me that he simply liked them as a boy:)

Just now, Shadwell Dog said:

Come on sir your mis quoting me here. My first mention of it was :

'Jack Ross is a big Dundee fan and has been since he was at school'

Now that doesnt say to me that he simply liked them as a boy:)

I didn't even know it was you I was quoting - wasn't talking about your post specifically. I think it's been mentioned a few times by different people, and I was simply making a throwaway remark that his love of the Dees seems to be growing. Don't take me too seriously: I don't :)

19 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

He's Derry'd oot his nut...

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/st-mirren/survival-of-fittest-as-jack-ross-plots-st-mirren-s-escape-1-4344768

“We moved around a couple
of times, eventually settling in the centre of Falkirk,” he explains. “One of my near neighbours was a Dundee
fan, whose father was a 
season ticket holder at Dens.

“We were pals and I played football with him and his 
little brother, so started to go to games every Saturday with them, more or less. So I became a Dundee fan through default. At one point I even sold programmes at the Provie
Road end at Dens – one of the games that sticks out is the 4-3 win over Rangers, when I was selling programmes before it.

“I watched Dundee home and away for a good few years. Strangely enough, I signed an S form with them when I was 13, although I am not sure they also knew I was a fan.”

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I didn't even know it was you I was quoting - wasn't talking about your post specifically. I think it's been mentioned a few times by different people, and I was simply making a throwaway remark that his love of the Dees seems to be growing. Don't take me too seriously: I don't :)

Always seems to happen to clubs our size that just when things are going really well something comes along and boots you up the arse. If you weren't in direct competition to us I'd be hoping he'd stay at Saints instead of joining the perennial cheats at dens but you are so I've got to hope he buggers off I'm afraid.