The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

6 hours ago, kanyewestbank said:

I wanted to sign an attacking midfielder to replace Mallan

Therein lies a part of your problem. There's no one, certainly not within our budget, who will provide a like for like with Mallan. Everyone we're going to get in on our wage budget will be clear downgrade from Stevie in the second half of last season. 

That being said, Kyle Magennis is the guy to step into that role. The sheet number of chances we created against Dundee shows that Kyle is up for the challenge in the middle of the park and we have been unfortunate to lose him at this point. 

Therein lies a part of your problem. There's no one, certainly not within our budget, who will provide a like for like with Mallan. Everyone we're going to get in on our wage budget will be clear downgrade from Stevie in the second half of last season. 
That being said, Kyle Magennis is the guy to step into that role. The sheet number of chances we created against Dundee shows that Kyle is up for the challenge in the middle of the park and we have been unfortunate to lose him at this point. 

Exactly - for a club our size Mallan is irreplaceable.

The state some of the folk on here have got themselves into after a grand total of 0 league games is pathetic  give yourselves a break. 

Fair enough we've not exactly looked great in the league cup but it's still about getting games under our belt at this time of the season, we were never going to win it realistically anyway. Real stuff starts next Saturday. 

5 weeks left to make signings as well, chill the f**k out and let's see what the next few weeks brings.

10 hours ago, kanyewestbank said:

Wind your neck in you condescending ,odious cretin.People are entitled to be critical of our quite frankly pathetic transfer business so far.The fact you label them

as old firm supporters says a lot more about you than them.Now run along 

Go on please name the players . 

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Magennis is the huge miss at the moment. Fantastic young player with enormous potential and great attitude. The sooner he's back the better. Big pressure on Morgan, McGinn, Smith and Magennis to perform this season - that's what our season will be decided on.

10 hours ago, kanyewestbank said:

Wind your neck in you condescending ,odious cretin.People are entitled to be critical of our quite frankly pathetic transfer business so far.The fact you label them

as old firm supporters says a lot more about you than them.Now run along 

Transfer business hasn't been pathetic. It's been varied: experience with Samson, McShane and Davis coming in, up and coming youth with the two Stewarts signing on, some run of the mill championship players such as Buchanan and Kirkpatrick to bulk up the squad. We're still looking to add another striker, which I think is the biggest gap we have so far, with Reilly having a good scoring record in the division but looking like he needs some support.

Results haven't been very good so far, but the league is the main objective, so I'll wait to see how our new players do there before panicking.

20 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Daryl Duffy training with us, apparently. 33, and has been playing in India. Was training at ICT but didn't get a deal. 

His scoring record in India was ok, but I think mine probably would be, too.

Wasn't Alan Gow's record decent there too... Which reminds me Duffy sounds like another Alan Gow. 

36 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Daryl Duffy training with us, apparently. 33, and has been playing in India. Was training at ICT but didn't get a deal. 

His scoring record in India was ok, but I think mine probably would be, too.

Having watched that Real Kashmir team over here against Forth Wanderers (granted they aren't top tier) I would hazard a guess that Gavin Reilly would hit double figures in the Indian Premier League. Easily.

Harry Davis coming in on August 1st will make a big difference although he won't be match fit to the end of the month. Eckersley Magennis and Hilson returning from injury will give the squad a more solid look as well.

I still think we will have more players coming in and one or two moving on. 

While the players making the step up might require a bit more time to adjust to the set up, we really need to show an improved performance level from what's been on show in pre season and in the cup games. 

I'm sure Jack Ross will have them ready for the Falkirk game.

32 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Harry Davis coming in on August 1st will make a big difference although he won't be match fit to the end of the month. Eckersley Magennis and Hilson returning from injury will give the squad a more solid look as well.

I still think we will have more players coming in and one or two moving on. 

While the players making the step up might require a bit more time to adjust to the set up, we really need to show an improved performance level from what's been on show in pre season and in the cup games. 

I'm sure Jack Ross will have them ready for the Falkirk game.

Most of those injured players will add significantly to the team. Hilson looked very bright from what I've seen, but Davis, Eckersley and Magennis will improve our starting 11 considerably.

Sutton and Quinn look very likely to be moving on, although we should use them while we have them, Sutton especially. 

Is Duffy training with you lot or not cause heard different things, some folk saying he was training with us then has gone to St Mirren but also we're now set to sign him?

Hope to f**k he goes to Ayr then.

Duffy doesn't inspire confidence.

But then neither did Paul Ritchie who had a remarkably similar back story to Duffy, scoring goals at most of his previous stops and going to Asia before rocking up for a trial at 33 and we told him where to go. He ended up at Inverness and fired them to the title. 

Edited by djchapsticks