The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Three trialists, two in defensive positions. Are we going with at least one of them being Shaughnessy?

Edit: both lineups look like a 4-5-1 but difficult to tell exactly.

Edited by Ric

48 minutes ago, Ric said:

Three trialists, two in defensive positions. Are we going with at least one of them being Shaughnessy?

Edit: both lineups look like a 4-5-1 but difficult to tell exactly.

I doubt Shaughnessy would be on trial, he is proven at this level.

Good to see Jay Henderson on the scoresheet, about time we had that surname on the Saints team sheet 👍

13 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I doubt Shaughnessy would be on trial, he is proven at this level.

If a player isn't officially signed they will be given the title trialist.

I mean it might not be him, but trialist doesn't mean an inexperienced youth player.

14 minutes ago, Ric said:

If a player isn't officially signed they will be given the title trialist.

I mean it might not be him, but trialist doesn't mean an inexperienced youth player.

Indeed.

A released player or a player who isn't re-signing for a club, would be named as a trialist.

I'm old enough to remember when trialists were a regular feature for league games in the lower leagues of Scottish football. It wasn't unusual for the likes of East Stirling or Stenhousemuir to have 3 "trialists" in their starting XI. Mainly these guys were named in the team lines as Trialist or more likely as Junior 1, Junior 2, and Junior 3 since the juniors was the principal source of new signings way back then (1960s, 1970s). The olden days before clubs had youth academies.

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

If we have any potential superstar trialists, I hope they had unusually quiet games. Wouldn't fancy waving them under Jack Ross' nose.

We've been stung more than once with a pre season Pele that turned out to be honking (I'm thinking Callum Ball). 

I like Jack Ross, but I'd allow myself a wry smile if he signed one of our trialists, who ended up being shite. 

4 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

We've been stung more than once with a pre season Pele that turned out to be honking (I'm thinking Callum Ball). 

I like Jack Ross, but I'd allow myself a wry smile if he signed one of our trialists, who ended up being shite. 

Or the reverse situation when we signed big Gerry Watchpincher that played as a trialist against us.

5 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Or the reverse situation when we signed big Gerry Watchpincher that played as a trialist against us.

Same with Jose Quitongo as well I think, stole him from Morton after he played against us in a friendly.

52 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

If as reported in the Press that we are chasing Shaughnessy Jakubiak and one other, will that be our recruitment finished.  Can’t help thinking we need a proper left back to come in. 

Think it might be a case of seeing where we are following that in terms of budget. We know that 3 players in the positions he wants to improve must happen but I'm sure he'll have opinions on improving every other area of the squad beyond those three. 

4 hours ago, aldo_j said:

I can confirm it was mentioned on Twitter.

Harry was in the press saying he wanted to come back. Would not surprise me I'm sure Goodwin is getting frustrated the amount of time it's taking Shaughnessy to sign. The season is only a few weeks away. 

Is this the first glimpses of the "where's the signings!!!???" meltdown season finally starting? Been quite quiet this year so far. Mind you it'll need to be good to beat last season's when a fan and director threatened to batter each other on Twitter.

8 minutes ago, GAD said:

Is this the first glimpses of the "where's the signings!!!???" meltdown season finally starting? Been quite quiet this year so far. Mind you it'll need to be good to beat last season's when a fan and director threatened to batter each other on Twitter.

You have got some imagination there. Its pre-season usually means speculation. Goodwin has said he wants his full squad in as quickly as possible so he can work with the squad.  Dont see any panic anywhere except in your mind. 

1 hour ago, ZingaliMan said:

Harry was in the press saying he wanted to come back. Would not surprise me I'm sure Goodwin is getting frustrated the amount of time it's taking Shaughnessy to sign. The season is only a few weeks away. 

I’d be surprised. There isn’t a relationship with this current coaching staff so don’t see him getting a shot ahead of any other free agents. Or, perhaps the trial was to let Jim see?

Who knows, but there’s definitely some damp patches forming within our support.