The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

If we have an enforcer plus Foley and Cammy in front that only leaves 3 positions left two of which would probably be filled by Ilkay and Obika. That would leave one position for Magennis, Flynn, McAllister and Jakubiak (assuming he signs). Some hard decisions for Goody (for a nice change).

As much as I like Cammy and Foley, them two, plus a midfield enforcer doesn’t exactly have a lot of creativity in it.

I get the holding role does stifle Foley and Cammy but I don’t see either getting 4-5 goals a season or 4-5 assists putting a lot of pressure on the wide players!

23 minutes ago, Stan Bo said:

As much as I like Cammy and Foley, them two, plus a midfield enforcer doesn’t exactly have a lot of creativity in it.

I get the holding role does stifle Foley and Cammy but I don’t see either getting 4-5 goals a season or 4-5 assists putting a lot of pressure on the wide players!

Can definitely see Cammy chipping in with that. He enjoys a dig.

4 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Suppose I've omitted Cooke out from that list who whilst not a world beater, looked like he had at least played professional football.

Kellermann just didn't kick on, he looked lost mainly.

Wasn't Callum Ball also recruited from English non-league football ?

Just now, Wilbur said:

Wasn't Callum Ball also recruited from English non-league football ?

He was actually released from Derby county.

He had been on loan at Coventry, Torquay and Notts County, who were all league clubs at the point in time he played for them.

Edited by FTOF

Just now, glenburn bud said:

I guess this might put an end to any speculative hope of a Harry Davis return ☹️

Not necessarily. We will almost certainly be looking at 2 centre halves.

Jack Baird is being interviewed today and he doesn't give off the impression that he's particularly wanted, so perhaps even three if we move him on given that we only have McCarthy and Baird currently at the club.

I'm trying to remember the last time we signed a player we were linked with in the press beforehand. Most if our signings seem to come from nowhere these days, though I'm sure we have at least offered Jakubiak something.

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Not necessarily. We will almost certainly be looking at 2 centre halves.

Jack Baird is being interviewed today and he doesn't give off the impression that he's particularly wanted, so perhaps even three if we move him on given that we only have McCarthy and Baird currently at the club.

McCarthy has been a revelation since signing in the last window. What a player we have in him. I’d be more than happy to get Davis or Shaughnessy to play beside him.

On 30/06/2020 at 23:46, Ric said:

I've spent most of the day racking my brain to think of any other "connection"  we've had with Gillingham. In the last 4 decades, Hodson is the only one I could think of.

I’m the connection. My youngest was born in Medway Maritime Hospital close to Christmas 2013 and the Gills players and then manager, Peter Taylor strolled in for a photo-op.. I was ‘in celebratory mode’ and had a quiet word about mutual reciprocity between the Gills and the buds. PT seemed so impressed he peeled away mid conversation, presumably to set the ball rolling.  

Saw Simeon Jackson score a 90th minute winner for the Gills at Wembley in the league 2 playoffs in 2009.

Edited by AllyM

30 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

I see the club are doing a deal to have a cardboard cutout of you in your seat for £20. Not for me would rather pay £20 towards banners that can be used again for displays.  

An Anne Budge cutout for me.