The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

23 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Goodwin saying Rose is great at breaking up play and can play behind a back four.  I'm confident Jim knows what he is doing. 

Where?

Behind a back four?

Think we're in the Flareybob realm here.:P

Edited by FTOF

8 minutes ago, FTOF said:

So did I.

However, it would seem that he was playing in midfield for Hamilton last season.

I recall Hamilton fans mentioning that he played as a defensive centre mid. I’ve always been impressed with Gogic when I’ve seen him (admittedly I’ve only seen him against the OF on TV). I think a lot of fans fall into the trap of calling him a CB because he has the looks and the build of a CB, but if he has the engine to play CDM and the tackling/defensive awareness of a CB then he will be perfect for St. Mirren, as it seems by Goodwins comments Baird is going to be back up at best. 

55 minutes ago, Stu said:

Is it? I’d say central midfield is the last position we need to strengthen at the moment and we already have two midfielders who can play right back and one who can play centre half.

If he’s an improvement on what we have in midfield then fair enough but, based on that description, I’d hope he wasn’t being signed as a first choice defender.

Versatile player who can go box to box? I'd say in a fairly thin squad that's not a bad addition.

Just now, IrishBhoy said:

I recall Hamilton fans mentioning that he played as a defensive centre mid. I’ve always been impressed with Gogic when I’ve seen him (admittedly I’ve only seen him against the OF on TV). I think a lot of fans fall into the trap of calling him a CB because he has the looks and the build of a CB, but if he has the engine to play CDM and the tackling/defensive awareness of a CB then he will be perfect for St. Mirren, as it seems by Goodwins comments Baird is going to be back up at best. 

He certainly played CH for Hamilton in previous seasons.

17 hours ago, Lex said:

January 2009 bud. I know proper Saints fans who can’t even remember us playing at our spiritual home.

I guess we will be that last generation.

‘Wait, you remember us playing at Love St..?’

Back in my day boy, we used to walk up this wee hill to the North Bank, and then...

Old school.

I’ve been to the new stadium more than I had been to Love Street and yet I’m still almost surprised every time we are due in Paisley that it’s not Love Street.

2 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

I’ve been to the new stadium more than I had been to Love Street and yet I’m still almost surprised every time we are due in Paisley that it’s not Love Street.

I know few people that call our current home Love St from time to time.

Three things I miss about Love Street, in no particular order..

1) The sheer insanity of running down the Caley stadium steps when we scored. It was like abseiling down the North face of the Eiger.

2) The rush of the hostility at the cage when either team scored. I honestly don't remember stewards ever policing it, when a goal went in it was open hostility akin to the Korean DMZ.

3) The Wee Barrell when it was stoked to the gunnels.

9 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
9 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:
Goodwin saying Rose is great at breaking up play and can play behind a back four.  I'm confident Jim knows what he is doing. 

Behind a back 4 ??? Sweepers coming back into fashion are they .

20 years we've been waiting for a replacement for Tommy Turner. 

43 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You seem to have a lot of business with Gillingham, so maybe of interest to you.

The only player we've signed (on loan) from Gillingham was Lee Hodson.

4 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Renewed the season ticket today think there is a good chance fans will get back into the stadium with limited space with social distancing. 

I was sure I read something over the weekend to the effect fans would be in for the start of the new season. Or did I have too many shandies?

Got my Be In That Number number email yesterday...........1690.........thanks for nowt!!