The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

22 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Pretty sure attendances to begin with would be home fans only over 4 stands and ST holders only.

It's all up in the air, of course, but I have a feeling that when fans are allowed in then at least some of them will need to be opposition.

17 minutes ago, Ric said:

It's all up in the air, of course, but I have a feeling that when fans are allowed in then at least some of them will need to be opposition.

Away fans are not a necessity home fans should be. Would think you could get 3,000 in easy enough mouth and nose area covered. Toilets regularly cleaned during a game.  Alchol gel available in diffrent areas. At the end of the game just let out so many fans at a time. It could be done if a health & safety plan was implemented.  All depends what the virus is doing going into winter as it could peak again . 

22 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Motherwell get their man Mark O'Hara.  

Ah well. Still, shows we're looking at the right kind of targets still.

Elsewhere, Magennis has been made club captain and Foley is vice. I thought Foley would get the armband, but I've no issues with Magennis. I hope this means he's going to be fit.

Ah well. Still, shows we're looking at the right kind of targets still.
Elsewhere, Magennis has been made club captain and Foley is vice. I thought Foley would get the armband, but I've no issues with Magennis. I hope this means he's going to be fit.
Big season for Magennis. Needs an injury free season with 30+ games under his belt. He was the next big thing out of our academy but Cammy Mac has caught up with him.

Hopefully the captaincy doesn't heap too much pressure on him too.

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Big season for Magennis. Needs an injury free season with 30+ games under his belt. He was the next big thing out of our academy but Cammy Mac has caught up with him.

Kyle must be one of our youngest captains since Tony Fitzpatrick. 

10 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I thought he was bogged down a bit from being stand in skipper last season. It sort of put a dampener on what he could do. 

It wouldn't be the first time either. I remember High Murray's only rotten season for us being the one he had the armband and it was obvious that the weight of expectation as skipper got to him. 

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

High Murray's only rotten season for us 

That would be Low Murray, I think.

You would hope/assume this decision has been made after talking to Kyle and that he's keen to do it. I know it's sacrilegious, but I still can't make room for him in the middle of the park, so will be interesting to see where he plays and which of Cammy/Foley is supposedly missing out.

Edited by Coventry Saint

42 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

That would be Low Murray, I think.

You would hope/assume this decision has been made after talking to Kyle and that he's keen to do it. I know it's sacrilegious, but I still can't make room for him in the middle of the park, so will be interesting to see where he plays and which of Cammy/Foley is supposedly missing out.

Cammy and Foley are the first pick combination in the middle of the park. And Durmus has made left wing his own. Kyle would be competing with Flynn and McAliister for the right wing berth. As much as I like Magennis I thought Foley would be captain.

Yeah Sam Foley is the natural captain. Kyle’s always injured anyway so I’m sure Sam will be captain for most of the season.

Magennis should worry about proving he’s good enough at this level first.

21 minutes ago, Lex said:

Yeah Sam Foley is the natural captain. Kyle’s always injured anyway so I’m sure Sam will be captain for most of the season.

Magennis should worry about proving he’s good enough at this level first.

So Goodwin makes Magennis Captain and your unsure if he can play at premiership level ? One of you are wrong will let you decide who. Granted his form dipped whether that being uncomfortable on the right or carrying a injury.  He is not is a bad player. 

Edited by ZingaliMan

I've got to admit I'd also have gone with Foley, purely down to experience, but perhaps it's also something to do with longevity at the club. Other than possibly Baird, is there anyone who has been at the club longer?

44 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:
4 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:
In the press today fans will get back into the stadium under restrictions which is fantastic news. As for Magennis have no fear he will rise to position of captain and will shine.

Got a link?

It's on the back page of the Record mate. 

Cammy and Foley are the first pick combination in the middle of the park. And Durmus has made left wing his own. Kyle would be competing with Flynn and McAliister for the right wing berth. As much as I like Magennis I thought Foley would be captain.
I wonder if Goody could use Magennis in the Andreu/Dorman role. I think he is capable of making they sort of runs beyond Obika and scoring a few goals.

So Goodwin makes Magennis Captain and your unsure if he can play at premiership level ? One of you are wrong will let you decide who. Granted his form dipped whether that being uncomfortable on the right or carrying a injury.  He is not is a bad player. 

Yeah he’s not done it consistently at this level yet.

He may well be good enough, but he’s played less than half our games in the last 2 years due to repeated injuries.

His goal and assist numbers ain’t what you’d expect for an attacking midfielder in the games he has played either.

Personally I wouldn’t have him in our first 11 just now.

5 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Kyle looks like he's been pounding the weights during his layoff. 

Was going to say that the home kit looks a "snug fit". Now imagine the more portly of our support wearing it! 😟

Edit: glad to see the away kit's fading is much better than it was in the mock up.

Edited by Ric