The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Re Tait. 

Just to add that he is a thoroughly smashing guy who always has time for the fans. Also ,although not the  fastest he prides himself on his fitness . He is very proud of his Borders roots having spent his childhood between Gala and Kelso. 

Last point . 2 years ago when at the peak of his form he was being touted by some for a Scotland call up.

Us 'Well fans will miss him.

He will do you a turn.

I would have said it's a cracking signing for you.

Although he's a right back by trade, he spent most of his time with us playing left-back due to our inability to find a left-back post Stevie Hammell.

Everyone thought when we signed Jake Carroll this summer we'd finally see him on the right, but Grimshaw who had been filling in there made the spot his own, which was very unfortunate for Tait.

A great pro and a very likeable chap into the bargain. Without delving too much into cliches, I hope he does well, except against us.

If you give Tait's IG a follow you'll get an idea of what he's about. He fucking loves his CrossFit and I'm fairly sure he has a side gig as a PT at a gym in Hamilton.

As others have said he signed for us as a RB but ended up playing LB post-Hammell and his versatility also meant we were able to get Cadden in the side at RWB. While that gave us a bit of balance it also coincided with the assists that had initially been a big part of Tait's game drying up - which is actually quite annoying as he's got a smashing delivery with his left and right.

He picked up an injury in his first season that kept him out from February until the end of the season. After that though he had 46 apps in 17/18 and 45 in 18/19. As @crazylegsjoe_mfc says above last season Grimshaw and Carroll made the RB and LB positions their own and Tait was down to 20 appearances so while most of us would have been more than happy for him to stick around if you guys are offering 1st team football and a 2 year deal it's no real surprise to see him take that offer.

If you've been on our thread you'll have seen the image of him squaring up to Boyata - I can imagine Goodwin liking his attitude a lot.

Anyway, he's been doing videos of his workouts for a fair bit of the shutdown...this is very much his patter.

Edited by capt_oats

Very refreshing to see there is no comments from his former club's supporters along the lines of 'he's fucking pish LOLOLOL'. 

Can live with a lack of pace. Sam Foley has lost a lot of his pace in last few years but he makes up for it with his work rate. If he puts himself about like Foley, fans will love him. 

18 hours ago, ulysses said:

Players won't be back training until next week. Doubt the club will have wanted to bring a player in purely to wear the kit whilst the current restrictions are in place (assuming that pics would have been needed to be taken from March). The digital mock up works just fine. 

It’s no big deal, but they clearly had Tait down for a photoshoot in a black T Shirt. Just wondered if they have any real shirts at the club yet, and Tait could have been the first time we saw the new shirt for real. Maybe new arrivals 2,3,4, and 5 will wear one. 😀

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

It’s no big deal, but they clearly had Tait down for a photoshoot in a black T Shirt. Just wondered if they have any real shirts at the club yet, and Tait could have been the first time we saw the new shirt for real. Maybe new arrivals 2,3,4, and 5 will wear one. 😀

They don't.

They probably won't until about 1st week in July either. There's been supply issues from China I've heard.

I'll be honest, I'd be amazed if we are paying money for a player in the current climate. Part pleasantly, part concerned.

I mean it would be a massive statement to make regarding our financial health but I'd have thought any money we do have in the coffers wouldn't be going toward transfer fees presently.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

I'll be honest, I'd be amazed if we are paying money for a player in the current climate. Part pleasantly, part concerned.

I mean it would be a massive statement to make regarding our financial health but I'd have thought any money we do have in the coffers wouldn't be going toward transfer fees presently.

Barry Fry is a renowned talker of shite: my gut instinct, based on the context of the interview, is that he's literally chucked the name of a Scottish club out there to put pressure on Motherwell.

4 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Barry Fry is a renowned talker of shite: my gut instinct, based on the context of the interview, is that he's literally chucked the name of a Scottish club out there to put pressure on Motherwell.

Pretty much. Which isn't to say your lot wouldn't be interested but as I posted on our thread Fry had said we had an agreement "in principle" and Robinson confirmed that we were hopeful of getting something sorted out. That was back in April.

O'Hara was in the local press last week saying:

“I spoke to the manager (via text message) last week and Motherwell are still interested,” O’Hara told the Times and Speaker. “It is not doable at the moment but I hope there’s still a chance that it will happen.

“There is no timescale on when Motherwell might come back with an offer. It’s uncertain times so I’ve not got many options at the moment but Motherwell would be my number one option."

Link

O'Hara's actually transfer listed at Peterborough so they're clearly actively trying to move him on but given the bodies we have in midfield (Turnbull, Campbell, Donnelly and Polworth plus Maguire, Semple and Cornelius) it's not really a priority for us. Especially on a £50k fee when Robinson's publicly saying we're short of at least two forwards.