The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Considering he could pull in considerably more wages than we can offer, I would very much doubt there is anything in this other than either his agent raising awareness or perhaps Goodwin has literally gone round clubs asking who is available.

Our previous experiences with past-their-best goalkeepers would probably cool my enthusiasm for signing Gordon. Kello and Marshall come to mind. Superb at his peak but those years have passed and he has hardly started a first team match in ages. Also a history of injury. 

Too risky IMO.

He’s missed something like 17 games through injury since signing for Celtic...

Ten injuries since 2003 and only one of them was truly major.

And yes, I’m counting the knee surgery that was followed by the awful knee injury as the one.

Edited by stressball

18 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Our previous experiences with past-their-best goalkeepers would probably cool my enthusiasm for signing Gordon. Kello and Marshall come to mind. Superb at his peak but those years have passed and he has hardly started a first team match in ages. Also a history of injury. 

Too risky IMO.

Marshall as in Gordon Marshall? Played one game on loan.

19 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Exclusively revealed by the Sun on Twatter. Hardly a credible source. 😏

Robert Grieve (Sun journo) is usually pretty spot on with Saints related stuff, or at least used to be. I think he was very close to someone on the old board, not sure if that’s still the case.

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Marshall as in Gordon Marshall? Played one game on loan.

FFS. 😄 

My bad. Seriously senior moment from me. Yes I was thinking Gordon Marshall but realise now I actually meant Stevie Woods.

36 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

Robert Grieve (Sun journo) is usually pretty spot on with Saints related stuff, or at least used to be. I think he was very close to someone on the old board, not sure if that’s still the case.

Yeah he's well connected to the club. Not sure if he's actually a supporter? Think he might be but could be wrong.

3 hours ago, houston_bud said:

The only way I could see someone like Gordon coming to o St Mirren is if he was being offered a route into coaching. With us having Langfield that doesn't look likely.

That's what I was thinking.

That said, perhaps taking him on loan while he gets game time somewhere local and with the 'rona having less of a chance to move down South in the short term. That's just complete conjecture though.

That's what I was thinking.
That said, perhaps taking him on loan while he gets game time somewhere local and with the 'rona having less of a chance to move down South in the short term. That's just complete conjecture though.
Pretty sure he is out of contract.

It just says we have offered him a deal, doesn't mean he will sign. Well worth chancing our arm, would definitely ease the blow of losing the Czech wall.

Harry Davis back must happen. I was gutted that we lost him in the first instance. The rumours have been swirling about for 2 seasons now that he knew pretty quickly he'd made a mistake going back to England and wanted to come back up north as he loved living in Glasgow. 

Him and Connor McCarthy as our centre half pairing would be amazing. 

Never quite got the love in for Popescu, he was decent but nothing special. Harry Davis would be great if he could come back especially beside McCarthy who looks a very good centre half. Apart from Magennis is there anyone left in the playing squad who played with Davis during his time here?
The rumours, at least, look promising for the season ahead, a far cry from the recruitment under Stubbs.