The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Wonder if big Jack Baird is going to be part of Jim's plan? Always liked him - total 100% from him. Seems to be at his best alongside an experienced centre half tho.

Jack Baird isn’t good enough. He does give 100% but unfortunately doesn’t legislate for him constantly being caught out of position / ball watching. He wouldn’t get near another premier team and seems to have got mixed reviews again last year in a pretty poor league.

I like the big guy but if we want to become a solid prem team we need to look to improve on these players (Same can be said for Mullen)

If goody think he can find players to improve on
Mcginn, Mullen etc I am confident we can improve on Baird. We obviously just need someone to take us off our hands as I doubt we will pay him off

1 hour ago, geo87 said:

Jack Baird isn’t good enough. He does give 100% but unfortunately doesn’t legislate for him constantly being caught out of position / ball watching. He wouldn’t get near another premier team and seems to have got mixed reviews again last year in a pretty poor league.

I like the big guy but if we want to become a solid prem team we need to look to improve on these players (Same can be said for Mullen)

If goody think he can find players to improve on
Mcginn, Mullen etc I am confident we can improve on Baird. We obviously just need someone to take us off our hands as I doubt we will pay him off

I think the fact that Baird was allowed to stay out on loan when we had about one fit CH tells the story.

If Baird didn't have another year on his contract, he'd have been joining the current exodus.

Sad to see McGinn go, been a tremendous player over the years. Great player as a youngster coming through and influential when he came back. It’s good to see him being singled out on statements etc for much deserved praise.
We’ll have some task on our hands getting a new keeper to replace Hladky unless we’re going Lyness & the young guy signed in January.
I would agree on Baird, he probably isn’t up to it at this level like Mackenzie. That being said with current circumstances & bearing in mind the injuries we had in December he might not be all that bad an option to keep around for a year as he’s not so injury prone.

I think what we're missing with Baird is that he might not get another club. If it turns out the lower leagues are mothballed (is this still on the cards?) then where is he going to go?

I'd be happy enough to see him stay, I thought he was good under Kearney in the Premier. He's decent back up and he's still young so might improve.

9 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I think what we're missing with Baird is that he might not get another club. If it turns out the lower leagues are mothballed (is this still on the cards?) then where is he going to go?

I'd be happy enough to see him stay, I thought he was good under Kearney in the Premier. He's decent back up and he's still young so might improve.

I don't think we're missing anything.

If he stays, unless there's an unprecedented injury crisis or he suddenly finds an as yet undiscovered high level of performance that changes JG's opinion of him, he'll be lucky to find a place on the bench.

That is of course, if we manage to sign a couple more centre halves. 

Bairdy is a funny one for us. Always drew comparisons with McAusland.

Majority of folk either vastly over rate them or vastly under rate them.

He has been about for several seasons now, after his loan spell with Morton he should have stuck out like a sore thumb if he was a good Premiership defender. Maybe a decent enough back up but at his age he needs to play every week.

I think we'll be easy to deal with if clubs are interested.

Liked the tribute to McGinn at the bottom of this: https://www.stmirren.com/all-news/3694-covid-19-week-12-update-2nd-june-2020

I wasn't as excited as some when he came back but he was fantastic for us. I'd love to have been in the dressing room at half-time of the TNS game because that was the turning point for the season. McGinn looked ready to murder half the team when he went off the pitch and his equaliser was an absolute screamer. Just a matter of when, rather than if, he is undicted into the hall of fame.

3 hours ago, FTOF said:

I don't think we're missing anything.

If he stays, unless there's an unprecedented injury crisis or he suddenly finds an as yet undiscovered high level of performance that changes JG's opinion of him, he'll be lucky to find a place on the bench.

That is of course, if we manage to sign a couple more centre halves. 

I agree, he's unlikely to see much game time but he'll need to be paid if he stays. I don't know how much of his salary Morton covered last year but if there aren't any clubs prepared to take him then he stays. 

As others have said, Hladky has always indicated his intention to leave. I have to admit I thought the uncertainty due to the Coronavirus might have changed his mind.

Any news on how many season tickets we've now sold? 

Also some folks must have had a sneak preview of the new kits. I know Div suggested the away kit will be black and white, but that's all I've heard. Someone must know more.

6 hours ago, houston_bud said:

I agree, he's unlikely to see much game time but he'll need to be paid if he stays. I don't know how much of his salary Morton covered last year but if there aren't any clubs prepared to take him then he stays. 

From March 

https://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/sport/18284760.baird-open-staying-morton-next-season/

9 minutes ago, greenock saint said:

If Hopkin wants him and Baird is happy to return then I'm guessing it's likely to be for another loan rather than for a fee.

At present though, we currently have one central defender (in McCarthy), so we'd need to bring players in before we could let him go out.

I hope we get a St Mirren kit just like that new Morton kit - proper blue and white hoops / proper b&w stripes. Hoops on the back / stripes on the back. Sponsor logo not in a rectangle. White shorts. Blue and white hooped socks / b&w hooped socks.

Am I asking too much?

39 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I hope we get a St Mirren kit just like that new Morton kit - proper blue and white hoops / proper b&w stripes. Hoops on the back / stripes on the back. Sponsor logo not in a rectangle. White shorts. Blue and white hooped socks / b&w hooped socks.

Am I asking too much?

Joma kits have been a bit hit and miss, this season so far. I think you're asking for a bit much if you expect stripes on the back as well, unfortunately! Dunfermline's Joma kiy hasn't got stripes on the back. Morton's kit was designed by the fans this time around, hence no manufacturer's label.

2 hours ago, Spam_Valley said:

Heard from a very good source that our home kit has a white back - Not impressed at all.

Away is red and black apparently.

Does this source have any idea when the new kits will be unveiled? Last week @Div stated it would be "the next week or so".

Edited by Sinner-to-Saint