The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, Ric said:

Good. I think we all think he deserved a new contract after the shift he put in before he was injured but "massive boost" is maybe the DR over egging that pudding a touch.

If/when he's fit, wouldn't surprise me if he became a full back on a permanent basis.

7 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

If/when he's fit, wouldn't surprise me if he became a full back on a permanent basis.

While he certainly did well in that position, I honestly thought he was great in MF. That said, looking at the squad we are officially without a full back on either side just now but with quite a few midfielders. Albeit I think we all expect the captain to be given his jotters. Which is a shame, but in a squad that is considerably smaller and on a smaller budget I'm not sure there is still a place for him.

Edited by Ric

3 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Heard he's fit now. The cruciate injury was closer to Cody Cooke level than it was to Kyle Magennis.

8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Heard he's fit now. The cruciate injury was closer to Cody Cooke level than it was to Kyle Magennis.

That's great news. Vital we keep hold of as many known quantities as possible (as long as they're any good) this summer. (Ok, that's true every summer, but especially so this one.)

On 17/05/2020 at 16:37, FTOF said:

I doubt that McGinn will be returning. Even before his injury, it was clear that Goodwin didn't rate him as first XI material. Big wage too. Mullen wil be gone too, given that he nearly joined Dundee in January.

My opinion on players that we should keep or re-sign.If we ever get to re-sign players...………………...

Out of contract players ( will probably have missed a couple).

Re-sign

Flynn Hladky (Not that it will ever happen) Wallace 

Release

McGinn MacKenzie Mullen Andreu Djorkaeff Cooke

Loans

Chabbi - back to Turkey

Jakubiak - Out of contract. Would try to sign

Waters - back to Kilmarnock

Famewo - Back to Norwich. Try to get back next season?

Hodson - Back to Gillingham.

Not sure whether Lyness is out of contract or not, but would be decent back up for new 1st choice 'keeper.

And so it came to pass...…………………..

Only Wallace not being re-signed blotting my copy book. Although I can see why he wasn't.

https://www.stmirren.com/all-news/3692-st-mirren-fc-squad-update

Stephen McGinn, Danny Mullen, Gary MacKenzie, Ross Wallace, Tony Andreu and Cody Cooke will be retained under the furlough scheme before leaving the club.

This provision will also be extended to the following academy players Conor McBrearty, Scott Glover, David Wilson, Matthew Grant, Kyle Girvan and Dominic Lavelle. 

Oan Djorkaeff and Vaclav Hladky will also leave the club following the expiry of their contracts, an offer was made to Vaclav but he has decided he wishes to pursue options elsewhere.

Edited by FTOF

Agree with all them. McKenzie and McGinn are finished, Mullen, Andreu, Djorkaeff and Cooke aren’t good enough.

Has been clear Hladky was leaving for months. Wallace looked decent but he is 35, makes sense to release him.

Would take any of the loanees back next season, all looked good (Chabbi briefly). Would love to get Hodson back in particular.

We all knew it was coming but it still hurts, all the best to the Czech wall unless he goes to them.

Sad for McGinn, he should be able to have a good 2-3 years in the Championship. He dragged the club up when he returned, a great leader and leaves as a hero.

Mullen should pick up a decent Championship team.

Big G-MacK was an absolute warrior for us when he was fit. That was the problem.

Hope they all manage to get a decent gig elsewhere.

Would be amazing to get Famewo back, too. Strongly suspect that may depend on what league Norwich find themselves in.
Jim's got his work cut out, but we always knew he would.
Depends what sort of budget he will be working with.

Listening to sportsound, the figure they were mentioning for covid testing was 4k a week. Seen other figures thrown about on Twitter too. That's just for training.

Obviously must have some sort of budget if we are re-signing Flynn.

26 minutes ago, Lex said:

Agree with all them. McKenzie and McGinn are finished, Mullen, Andreu, Djorkaeff and Cooke aren’t good enough.

Has been clear Hladky was leaving for months. Wallace looked decent but he is 35, makes sense to release him.

Would take any of the loanees back next season, all looked good (Chabbi briefly). Would love to get Hodson back in particular.

Sentimentally though, it's a shame to see Danny, Gary Mac and McGinn going. All three did a brilliant job for us but agree that McGinn and Gary Mac are done and Mullen slots into the Cammy Smith caveat of probably too good for the Championship, but not good enough for the Premier League.

The 16 we have remaining are actually OK with a few issues. Magennis is still out long term, McAllister is constantly on verge of injury, Urminsky, Breadner and McAllister don't have any first team experience as of yet.

image.png.e12bc33247d78b62c963119ce466c31c.png

It's going to be a very interesting summer ahead. Not sure what sort of budget we are going with but we almost certainly need a rebuild of some variety.

I'd say we need:

A first choice keeper
First choice LB and cover for both full back positions (Flynn at RB is fine by me but we can't realistically go with Erhahon and Cammy in there)
A centre half (assuming Baird stays. 2 if he goes)
Right Winger
Two centre forwards

So I make that 7 new faces. Easier said than done in the current climate but will be interesting to see what we can conjure up.

Sad news there, a real shame that we didn’t get the chance to give those players a proper send off, especially Stephen McGinn. I wonder if Gary Mac would have done his usual end of season heroics if he’d been able to.

Can’t argue with any of the decisions. I’d have gambled on a one-year deal for Ross Wallace though as he really brought some quality to the midfield.

I’m curious to see what happens with Jack Baird and also if there’s a place for Junior Morias in the team.

2 minutes ago, Gareth_Glasgow said:

I’d have gambled on a one-year deal for Ross Wallace though as he really brought some quality to the midfield.

Under normal circumstances, yeah. Unfortunately, we're seen too often what a normal pre-season can do to some players in their mid 30s. An extended break might be a bridge too far for some players of that age.

Edited by djchapsticks

2 minutes ago, Gareth_Glasgow said:

Sad news there, a real shame that we didn’t get the chance to give those players a proper send off, especially Stephen McGinn. I wonder if Gary Mac would have done his usual end of season heroics if he’d been able to.

Can’t argue with any of the decisions. I’d have gambled on a one-year deal for Ross Wallace though as he really brought some quality to the midfield.

I’m curious to see what happens with Jack Baird and also if there’s a place for Junior Morias in the team.

Yeah, do or die for Morais early next season. He needs to get that second spot with Obika nailed down early because if we are bringing in another striker late in the window he's done. He wasn't good enough to play wide, and I'm sure we will sign a right winger.

Still reckon McGinn had something to offer but he was never going to be first choice. Shame we never got to see him for a send off.

Mullen and Mackenzie were good players for us but not unexpected.  In any normal times Mullen would've got a new team without any hassle. I really hope he can get something sorted. Sad to say but Mackenzie might be done as if money is tight for clubs I'm not sure many will want to take a gamble on a player with his injury history.

Hopefully the other players can get something sorted. I reckon a lot of players will be lost to the game because of the current situation. If the lower leagues get mothballed then some of these guys are in trouble. It's a shame.

16 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Sad for McGinn, he should be able to have a good 2-3 years in the Championship. He dragged the club up when he returned, a great leader and leaves as a hero.

If the championship ever does resume I could see us going in for him, which isn't ideal because he looked absolutely done whenever I seen him last year. 

Would love Mullen but I expect he'll go to Dundee.