The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

£8k a week for Lee Hodson is ridiculous! He must have some agent. Would agree with FTOF that we should re-sign Flynn, Hladky & Wallace, if possible. I was really impressed with Wallace in the games against Motherwell & Hearts thought once he was up to full fitness he’d be a good player to have.
McGinn and Mackenzie been good players over the years but sadly think their better days are behind them now. Mullen has also been a good player for us and still has a decent career ahead of him we just have better options now. Cooke should’ve been walked out the door last summer - hopeless regardless of his age.
I can see Andreu being offered another year by Goodwin, he obvious likes him and might see him as a decent option of the bench. I’d punt him. Of the loan players I’d have Famewo & Jakubiak back the others can go. Would get rid of Morias while we are at it.

9th it is then. Highest finish since 2014 and a cup quarter final. We’d certainly all have taken that in August. Real progress being made under Goody.

I can’t imagine us offering many new contracts till we know for sure when next season will be starting.

Hladky has had an extension on the table since last season, he’s made it clear he isn’t interested in signing it though. Other clubs will offer him more money and that will be that, fair play to him.

2 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

£8k a week for Lee Hodson is ridiculous! He must have some agent. Would agree with FTOF that we should re-sign Flynn, Hladky & Wallace, if possible. I was really impressed with Wallace in the games against Motherwell & Hearts thought once he was up to full fitness he’d be a good player to have.
McGinn and Mackenzie been good players over the years but sadly think their better days are behind them now. Mullen has also been a good player for us and still has a decent career ahead of him we just have better options now. Cooke should’ve been walked out the door last summer - hopeless regardless of his age.
I can see Andreu being offered another year by Goodwin, he obvious likes him and might see him as a decent option of the bench. I’d punt him. Of the loan players I’d have Famewo & Jakubiak back the others can go. Would get rid of Morias while we are at it.

Andreu is in today's PDE in an interview. He talks about being worried about not being able to sign for another club as he's out of contract in three weeks.

Goodwin did say that he's been up front with the out of contract players about their future prospects.

So who knows? As much as he chipped in with a couple of goals and assists, I thought Andreu got more appearances than his overall performances deserved.

Edited by FTOF

50 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Andreu is in today's PDE in an interview. He talks about being worried about not being able to sign for another club as he's out of contract in three weeks.

Goodwin did say that he's been up front with the out of contract players about their future prospects.

So who knows? As much as he chipped in with a couple of goals and assists, I thought Andreu got more appearances than his overall performances deserved.

Andreu had the odd moment of skill but was worse than a man down when he was having a poor game, would definitely get rid. I'd agree that we should just try to resign Flynn, Hladky and possibly Wallace. I suppose it might be worth keeping Cooke or Mullen if we're going to be short of strikers to sign given the circumstances.

2 minutes ago, Gareth_Glasgow said:

Andreu had the odd moment of skill but was worse than a man down when he was having a poor game, would definitely get rid. I'd agree that we should just try to resign Flynn, Hladky and possibly Wallace. I suppose it might be worth keeping Cooke or Mullen if we're going to be short of strikers to sign given the circumstances.

Andreu's touch and technique is a thing of wonder but his best is definitely behind him. 

And yet, for all of the touch and technique, his composure deserted him. I found myself getting angrier and angrier every time the ball dropped to him 13, 14 yards out and he nearly cleared the stand. So frustrating.

We are going to trim the squad significantly. Funnily enough, with everything going on just now, I wasn't bothered previously but I'd keep Mullen about. He's going to be an asset in the new version of Scottish football that is coming around.

36 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Andreu's touch and technique is a thing of wonder but his best is definitely behind him. 

And yet, for all of the touch and technique, his composure deserted him. I found myself getting angrier and angrier every time the ball dropped to him 13, 14 yards out and he nearly cleared the stand. So frustrating.

We are going to trim the squad significantly. Funnily enough, with everything going on just now, I wasn't bothered previously but I'd keep Mullen about. He's going to be an asset in the new version of Scottish football that is coming around.

Yep exactly, he was actually more frustrating to watch than a lot of much poorer players we've seen. He also had a few games where his touch was atrocious, I seem to remember him coming off the bench once and immediately giving away a goal?

I'd pick Mullen ahead of Cooke too.

6 hours ago, Gareth_Glasgow said:

There have been far worse players than Andrey over the past few years but he hasn't done enough for me.

Wallace looked good the games he played but by the time we're playing again he'll be 35 (possibly going on 36) and only played a handful of games in 2 years.

Flynn deserves another deal no question. I'd keep Mullen too but Goodwin clearly doesn't fancy him.

Andreu was never as bad as some folk make out, but some of his poorer moments were high profile, like the penalty miss against Aberdeen, and he's just not as good as he used to be. The 2016/17 Andreu would have been great, but that's not what we got. He still contributed though, 2 goals and 6 assists I think it was, it's not that bad considering he didn't start every game. I wouldn't keep him, but I don't think he deserved so much stick. Our fans are weird like that.

3 hours ago, Stu said:

According to this article, Goodwin has already talked to the players who aren't being kept on so hopefully we hear something in the next few days.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/other-soccer/goodwin-shows-premier-class-by-keeping-saints-in-top-flight-39219500.html

Any chance you could post some of the details, it's behind a paywall.

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

Any chance you could post some of the details, it's behind a paywall.

That's bizarre, it's blocking me as well now. It was fine when I looked earlier. The Irish independent isn't something I subscribe to!

It wasn't much, just said half way through the article he'd spoken to the out of contract players that weren't being kept on Monday. Aside from Jakubiak tweeting he was off (no surprise from a loan player) I'm surprised nothing has come out - officially or otherwise - since then.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

That's bizarre, it's blocking me as well now. It was fine when I looked earlier. The Irish independent isn't something I subscribe to!

It wasn't much, just said half way through the article he'd spoken to the out of contract players that weren't being kept on Monday. Aside from Jakubiak tweeting he was off (no surprise from a loan player) I'm surprised nothing has come out - officially or otherwise - since then.

Thought it might be one of those "journo perks".

Do you think the Irish indy spoke to him direct or just took the piece from his comments on Sportsound? Which, if you missed it, is the first 20 minutes of this.. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08dftwv

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

Thought it might be one of those "journo perks".

Do you think the Irish indy spoke to him direct or just took the piece from his comments on Sportsound? Which, if you missed it, is the first 20 minutes of this.. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08dftwv

They spoke to him direct. There's been a few online stories from the Irish papers with the likes of him and McCarthy since the turn of the year.

Plus he said he spoke to the players on Monday (presumably because the season was officially over then) and Sportsound was on Sunday 😝

'We have bigger ambitions as a club' - Jim Goodwin shows Premier class by keeping St Mirren in top flight

Ambitious Waterford native is loving life in Scotland after avoiding return to the ‘rat race’

‘I have ambitions as a manager being Irish shouldn’t hold me back from that,’ says Jim Goodwin who has kept St Mirren up in the Scottish Premiership after Monday’s decision to bring an end to the season. Photo: Getty2 ‘I have ambitions as a manager being Irish shouldn’t hold me back from that,’ says Jim Goodwin who has kept St Mirren up in the Scottish Premiership after Monday’s decision to bring an end to the season. Photo: Getty

He went toe to toe with Scotland's best and came away with his head held high, the mission of keeping his club in the top flight accomplished.

But while Jim Goodwin, the Irish manager of St Mirren, welcomes the certainty brought by the decision to end the Scottish top flight season while the English equivalent attempts to resume, he knows that the financial black hole created by the Covid-19 pandemic will pose huge challenges.

Monday's decision to end the Scottish season led to celebrations in the green half of Glasgow, as Celtic were crowned champions, and tears in the maroon side of Edinburgh due to relegation for Hearts. St Mirren also had cause to smile as closing the curtains on the season ensured that their top-flight status was safe, a major achievement for Waterford native Goodwin in his first season at the club.