The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Out of interest St Mirren fans, how would you compare Goodwin's season (So far) to Kearney's season?

Need 3 wins, a draw and 8 losses to match last season.

Need to score 13 goals and concede 31 in your final 12 games to match that as well.

Disappointing that after your initial season up you've not kicked on? You lot seem (Largely) content with Goodwin though. Does the fact he's a cup winning hero play a part in that?

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Out of interest St Mirren fans, how would you compare Goodwin's season (So far) to Kearney's season?

Need to score 13 goals and concede 31 in your final 12 games to match that as well.

Disappointing that after your initial season up you've not kicked on? You lot seem (Largely) content with Goodwin though. Does the fact he's a cup winning hero play a part in that?

I think Goodwin is good manager, can be overly cautious at times but we are generally well organised and his recruitment is decent, though there is an imbalance in the squad (not all his fault, yes, I'm looking at you Kirk Broadfoot). Injuries could yet cost us, but even if we go down I'd say he's done enough to stay on in the job, as long term I think he'll do the business for us.

I would say he's done marginally better than OK to date, his points haul is an improvement, though he didn't walk into the same shitshow that OK did.

Edited by Hendo

7 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Leaning towards content with him. Several criticisms though. As Hendo said, he sets his stall out very negatively despite us being overloaded with forwards. He's still naive in terms of team selections. 

Vs Kearney? Hard to tell. Both jumped in at an inopportune time. Kearney was brilliant for us and some Saints fans who now downplay his role are likely still upset at him leaving. That being said, there was plenty of poor football under OK but the upturn in performance overall was massive. They are similar managers in that they made us difficult to beat. 

We should definitely be doing better with the squad we currently have though and when teams are there for the taking, we seem to conspire to not kill them off. 

Personally I do not take into account the cup winning hero stuff but the fact he cares is a bonus unlike many of the recent incumbents (Murray, Rae, Stubbs) but not including Kearney who also gave his all.

Kearney was more swashbuckling IMHO - like an affair and Jim is still building - more like a long term relationship. Jim's tactics and substitutions can be dire and too late. When things ain't working he is slow to react. And my biggest bugbear is his blind spot for a couple of players who still get a game regardless of how ineffective they are.

This is his first year at the top and he should be learning a lot but I'd hope for steady improvement next season.

10 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

JG is our sixth manager in five years, came in late during the close season after the relationship between our then manager OK & chairman soured. JGs signings were late and took a while to gel, we were bottom late Oct/early Nov, since then we've picked up a bit but are still deep in the doo-doo.

He's made mistakes but for me there have been more positives than negatives and I think the general feeling amongst us is that he will improve as a manager, however staying up this season is vital as it's a lot easier to get relegated to the Championship than promoted from it. 

Pretty similar albeit both came in under different circumstances. OK had an absolute shitfest of a squad to demolish and rebuild where as Goodwin came in pretty late in the summer and needed to add numbers to the squad pretty sharpish.

The brand of football is similar, very dogged which requires 100% commitment from every player (which they give tbf). Lacking the quality in the final third, similar to last season too.

I do think Goodwin would get a harder time for the negative style at times if he wasn't a club legend. Gus MacPherson still gets pelters for his brand of football.

Just now I'd rate it a 6/10 season so far. If we avoid relegation it's job done but next season we'll be hoping for improvement.

Impossible to judge him until we see where we finish at the end of the season. The tactics reak of Gus imo and the squad seems very unbalanced but that's not totally Jim's fault. Relegation would be a disaster so staying up would get him pass Mark's but anything less would be seen as a failure.

We might not be adopting a Barca’ style of exciting cavalier fitba’, but we’re creating enough chances and don’t look like pushovers in any situation. I think he’s doing a decent job overall. If we stay up, he’s done all that can reasonably be asked of a relatively inexperienced, young(ish) manager. Even if we do go down, we need to stick with him. We simply must give him time. If we go down and bag Goodwin, where do we go next? The usual round-the-block names? Dream team of Paisley Panda assisted by the bloke carrying the bung-a-baw bucket?

Edited by pozbaird

9 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Vs Kearney? Hard to tell. Both jumped in at an inopportune time. Kearney was brilliant for us and some Saints fans who now downplay his role are likely still upset at him leaving. That being said, there was plenty of poor football under OK but the upturn in performance overall was massive. They are similar managers in that they made us difficult to beat. 

An absolute myth. He didn't make us difficult to beat at all.

We got beat in over half of his games in charge for christ sake.

Team From To Record  
P W D L Win %

St Mirren 7 September 2018 26 June 2019 38 8 10 20 21.05  

12 minutes ago, Spam_Valley said:

Team From To Record  
P W D L Win %

Aye, but the opposition found it difficult, then still beat us anyway. 😀

25 minutes ago, Spam_Valley said:

Team From To Record  
P W D L Win %

To be fair, his team was the team he signed in January.

We opened up post window along the lines of what has gone on pre-window. 4 defeats on the hop.

From there we lost 3 of his final 15 games in charge with the squad he had assembled.

Absolutely not a myth to say that he did make us difficult to beat. Even if we weren't always hard to beat under his stewardship of pre-assembled duds.

image.thumb.png.1a30a0258cd98099e35cc000b3458221.png

It’s worth pointing out that this is JG’s first season as a full time manager. The way things are going it’s going to be another scrap at the end of the season.

If he can get us to tenth place and keep us up without being involved in the play offs, then that’s a successful first season in anyone’s book. Could be a big ask mind you the way things are going.

15 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

Until Goodwin fucks us over, with some piss poor excuse, he'll always be a better manager than Kearney. 

Agree Kearney is a fucking rat, and our fans who still simper over him are a fucking embarrassment, especially the ones who then go on to slag off Jack Ross. Snake Kearney must be pishing himself at these morons.

Agree Kearney is a fucking rat, and our fans who still simper over him are a fucking embarrassment, especially the ones who then go on to slag off Jack Ross. Snake Kearney must be pishing himself at these morons.
JR and OK both left a sour taste in the mouth, OK in particular with the timing of it. If he didn't fancy it I don't know why he just didn't come out after the playoff but he denied the rumours. He played the sob story and some of our fans took his side over Gordon Scott's.

Just now, sergie's no1 fan said:

JR and OK both left a sour taste in the mouth, OK in particular with the timing of it. If he didn't fancy it I don't know why he just didn't come out after the playoff but he denied the rumours. He played the sob story and some of our fans took his side over Gordon Scott's.

He didn't come out after the playoff because he was wanting a pay off when he left, so he worked his ticket until the end of June, with no intention of staying and left us in a shit state, with half the transfer window gone and about 10 first team players signed.

Ross left for a far bigger club in May after saving us from relegation then getting us promoted, and we got compensation for him. I dont think they are really comparable situations.

Jack Ross and Oran Kearney haven’t left a sour taste in my mouth (cue Kenneth Williams gif)... shit happens. All the time - Broadfoot this season, Ian Ferguson going to Deadco after ‘87 heroics, Sir Grumpy Nuts and the way he departed, could go on all day. When the dust settles, as an example, Fergie’s Furies in ‘77 and Fergie’s cup heroics in ‘87 win out in my memories. Broadfoot being outstanding after signing his Deadco PCA and that 2-3 game at Fir Park. Great memories. Now, if we’re talking about sour taste in the mouth - Stubbs and Darren Jackson can fcuk right off. Ross & Kearney? Nah, did well for us. We move on.