The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

10 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Something I've just realised, which is absolutely mad after the past few seasons:  we only have one player on loan from another club at the moment. One. Feels weird.

Hmmm. Only one you say.....?

;) 

Is the Irish League full time?

Either way good bit of business getting these guys in early. If they’re near the same standard as Sean McLoughlin we’ll have two great signings on our hands.

Just now, Lex said:

Is the Irish League full time?

Either way good bit of business getting these guys in early. If they’re near the same standard as Sean McLoughlin we’ll have two great signings on our hands.

Think at least couple of sides are, Dundalk and Cork almost certainly.

9 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Hmmm. Only one you say.....?

;) 

😂

I was thinking I'd made a balls up. I even double checked on the squad list and everything.

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Hopefully we're not done for today just yet.

Loan signing, by any chance?! 😂

I'd be shocked if we got Edmondson. He's very highly rated by Leeds and I'd expect him to go to a much bigger club than us or continue getting the odd game for the first team.

Hope we get him! [emoji1695]

Nice to see us getting some business done early.

I'd be surprised to see Baird back to be honest, it looks like Goodwin doesn't fancy him. Bit of a shame as he always bust a gut for us and I thought he was decent. He's still young I suppose so could end up coming back in the summer and being given a chance.

19 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Nice to see us getting some business done early.

I'd be surprised to see Baird back to be honest, it looks like Goodwin doesn't fancy him. Bit of a shame as he always bust a gut for us and I thought he was decent. He's still young I suppose so could end up coming back in the summer and being given a chance.

He's still got 18 months so, with all due respect to our Greenockian friends, I'd quite like to see him going somewhere that could at least offer us a nominal fee for him. Top end of the championship, perhaps. Somewhere like Dundee, maybe.

Highly rated defender who is captain of an EPL club's under-23 side? Hopefully he does better than Alfie Jones - although he's at least had a few first team games so it shouldn't be quite as big a culture shock. For what it's worth, the Football Manager database suggests he's left sided so that should help with the balance at the back.

That could well be us done for the transfer window, although the leftback situation maybe needs looked at and the Keatings rumour suggests we're in for another striker. Record also claiming we're in for Glenn Middleton on loan, although would be surprised at that.

Would guess departures are now more likely than arrivals. Djorkaeff has to be top of the list to go - couldn't get a game before the window and we've now signed another winger. We could also do with sending a few of the youngsters out on loan. Surprised that neither Glover or Nick McAllister seems to have been on the bench in recent weeks considering we're so short of defensive options.

10 minutes ago, Mordecai said:

Was talking to my mate who's a Grimsby fan and he said they tended to play him at left back when he was on loan there. He could potentially cover that position for us, but I think his natural position is in the centre of defence.

Perhaps it's a case of two birds, one stone, in that we've solved two issues in one go there. Play him at CH with the option of moving him left as and when required.

46 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Credit to Goodwin, Gus and the recruitment team. We have certainly made a statement of intent. Even the knicker wetters are flabbergasted. 2.5 year deals too, hopefully the days of short termism are behind us.

Now let's just hope these guys are decent emoji85.png.

We've been handing out two-year contracts for the past few years - sometimes it's worked and sometimes it's left us having to pay folk off. It's not that new a development - Mullen and Flynn both got 2.5 year deals a couple of years back.

It's good that we're getting our business done early (earlier than 2017 when we had a far greater need for reinforcements) but I'll save the full praise for the recruitment team until we see if they're any good! They did a decent job during the summer as there haven't been any of the stinking failures we saw under Stubbs.

Edited by Stu