The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Watt will probably score about two goals, go in a sulk, and vanish by mid-October. He's a complete and utter gamble, but clearly has the ability that makes it worth it. You could argue a signing like Stokes would be exactly the same for you lot, but on a much older scale. 

If you think Watt will turn out that way, why try to blow sunshine out his arse a few posts ago by telling us his age, his Scotland cap, and how he once went for a million. Sounded awfully like you were trying to tell us how great a signing Watt is, compared to what we will be able to sign. Make yer’ mind up.

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

If you think Watt will turn out that way, why try to blow sunshine out his arse a few posts ago by telling us his age, his Scotland cap, and how he once went for a million. Sounded awfully like you were trying to tell us how great a signing Watt is, compared to what we will be able to sign. Make yer’ mind up.

Because it's clear he's not an absolute shite signing, a gamble yes but hardly one not worth taking, mocking him in comparison to a signing you haven't even made yet is odd. 

31 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It was about five years after that. It was around the same time frame that Cardiff had a £3m bid accepted for him, but couldn't find the actual money when it came to it. 

Fwiw every single signing at this level is either a complete huddy or a complete gamble. Your "marquee" signing will be one or the other. The best you could realistically get would be Adam Rooney, but even then you're competing against Salford City who "blew" Motherwell out the water for a player this Summer already. 

Lad in the pub told me it was Rooney last night 

6 minutes ago, Silvio said:

Lad in the pub told me it was Rooney last night 

I'd be surprised. We lost a player to Forest Green, who offered him a deal we couldn't even dream of matching and Motherwells CEO was on twitter saying they couldn't get near Salfords offer for a player. If he joins you it won't be for the money, he'd definitely be "marquee" though 

Fwiw I wouldn't have him at us, but that's a personal thing about him being immobile and the type of striker I like. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

42 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'd be surprised. We lost a player to Forest Green, who offered him a deal we couldn't even dream of matching and Motherwells CEO was on twitter saying they couldn't get near Salfords offer for a player. If he joins you it won't be for the money, he'd definitely be "marquee" though 

Fwiw I wouldn't have him at us, but that's a personal thing about him being immobile and the type of striker I like. 

You were doing so well there until the end, there. :P

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

You were doing so well there until the end, there. :P

I absolutely slated him for being an immobile lump once, the next game against us he took the ball from his own half, past a couple of players, and smashed it in. 

Fun old game 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Because it's clear he's not an absolute shite signing, a gamble yes but hardly one not worth taking, mocking him in comparison to a signing you haven't even made yet is odd. 

I’m not mocking Watt. I’m merely questioning why you highlighted his young age, his Scotland cap, and the fact he once went for a million, then subsequently said he’ll likely score two goals before disappearing up his own arse. It seems like one minute you shine him up to reflect how good a signing he is compared to what we will sign, then the next minute you’re saying he will probably bomb.

Edited by pozbaird

I see someone on black & white army is suggesting that a deal for Stokes is back on. I hope it’s not true as the guy has already messed the club about, when he didn’t show up for the pre season gig at La Manga.

His previous behaviour at Hibs and the Greek club suggest that he’s not going to change his ways.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

If it was a choice between the two I'd rather have Stokes than Bilate, although in an ideal world we'd sign neither.

I can see the logic, but Bilate would cause less seethe, cause the club less bother and in general be considerably less of a roaster.

The flip side is, of course, that Stokes would likely score more goals in the short term - there is no long term option with Stokes.

38 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Rooney and Ryan Christie on loan being touted on Twitter.

Christie would be f'ing lovely, and I notice Rodgers is saying he's good enough for Celtic but he's unlikely to be offered enough game time there. Those are pretty key indicators towards a club wanting to loan a player out.

The issue then is why not just loan him back to Aberdeen? The finances will be better, he'll be playing with a better quality of squad than ours (not a dig, just an observation) he'll get some European experience and can't play against his parent club so takes the issue of him scuppering their title challenge out of the window.

As I say, he'd be lovely, but I can't see any reason to loan him to us.

Rooney would be decent but as I said previously, he'd need service. He's not a Mullen who will go looking for things, he wants to be fed. Feed him though and he can be bloody deadly.

3 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

The issue then is why not just loan him back to Aberdeen? The finances will be better, he'll be playing with a better quality of squad than ours (not a dig, just an observation) he'll get some European experience and can't play against his parent club so takes the issue of him scuppering their title challenge out of the window.

I'd imagine it'd tend to be Aberdeen's form against 'the rest' that might scupper any realistic title challenge - ie dropped points here and there against the middle order. Therefore you could imagine Celtic not wanting to strengthen them against those teams. Then again, Cellic may see Sevco as their main challengers this season, in which case it'd make sense to help strengthen Aberdeen.

The best solution, of course, is to loan some decent players to St Mirren and help us take points from both of the above :thumsup2

7 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Because they are fuckin embarrassed about getting Morgan for sweeties and feel they owe us something?