The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Not sure about 3 at the back for the first competitive match, especially against a well drilled Killie.
Must admit I'm gutted they got Steve Clarke ahead of us but the timings just didn't work out. The upside is he'll be offered another gig he can't turn down sooner rather than later.

40 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:
1 hour ago, Buddist Monk said:
Not sure about 3 at the back for the first competitive match, especially against a well drilled Killie.

Must admit I'm gutted they got Steve Clarke ahead of us but the timings just didn't work out. The upside is he'll be offered another gig he can't turn down sooner rather than later.

Ha! The last time an "old school" Saints hero came back, he lasted all of about 7 days!

Edited by Buddist Monk

2 hours ago, jimmy boo said:
3 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

Steve Clarke is a Killie fan. Signed new improved contract and is here to see out his contract.  Also Killie will likely play 4-3-3 in attack so 352 May be a risk. 

12 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Rumours about us signing Hypolite. Is he under contract and do you think he will get much game time if he stayed in paisley?

He's got another year but I've got a feeling we wouldn't be too hard to deal with. He just never broke in to the team and he may get game time but I just can't see him being anything other than a bit part player. 

11 hours ago, Cmac1869 said:

Steve Clarke is a Killie fan. Signed new improved contract and is here to see out his contract.  Also Killie will likely play 4-3-3 in attack so 352 May be a risk. 

Stevie is from up north not Kilmarnock. He left St Mirren for Chelsea in 87 returned to watch St Mirren lift the Scottish cup with the fans. Stevie is loyal to who pays his wages like we all do. If bigger fish come along he will be off contract or no contract for teams like Kilmarnock and the St Mirren's that is the realty unfortunately. I was around when St Mirren broke the Scottish transfer market these days are long gone. Enjoy it while it lasts if Stevie icontinues his success you won't have him more than two seasons. 

27 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Stevie is from up north not Kilmarnock. He left St Mirren for Chelsea in 87 returned to watch St Mirren lift the Scottish cup with the fans. Stevie is loyal to who pays his wages like we all do. If bigger fish come along he will be off contract or no contract for teams like Kilmarnock and the St Mirren's that is the realty unfortunately. I was around when St Mirren broke the Scottish transfer market these days are long gone. Enjoy it while it lasts if Stevie icontinues his success you won't have him more than two seasons. 

He's definitely a Killie fan. There was a wee interview with him from Match or Shoot that someone posted on here when he was at Chelsea and he said in that, he's a Killie fan. 

Must have been about 1988 or so that the interview was. 

1 hour ago, Demented Zebra said:

Ooh that's a bitter post. Clarke has stated recently he's a Killie fan. There was also a Player Profile interview from Match or Shoot from years ago posted on here recently where he says Kilmarnock were his boyhood team. Not every fan comes from the city/town of the team they support, assuming you're right and he isn't from Kilmarnock. 

2 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Not every fan comes from the city/town of the team they support, assuming you're right and he isn't from Kilmarnock. 

I think it's more that he played 200 games for us, we were his first professional club, and that in his career he only played for two clubs; Chelsea and us.

Now, I agree with you btw, not arguing the case. Just putting forward a reason why there may be a pecieved loyalty.

3 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Stevie Clarke was born in Saltcoats.

We signed him from Beith juniors.

As for supporting Kilmarnock................ they were his "wee" team.;)

St Mirren just coming across as a bit "Old Firmy" here. Clarke himself said he's a Kilmarnock fan, after he'd played for St Mirren, and when he had no reason to show loyalty to Kilmarnock. 

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

St Mirren just coming across as a bit "Old Firmy" here. Clarke himself said he's a Kilmarnock fan, after he'd played for St Mirren, and when he had no reason to show loyalty to Kilmarnock. 

Chic Young says he's a St.Mirren fan.;)

"Old firmy"?  w****r talk.:lol:

10 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Rumours about us signing Hypolite. Is he under contract and do you think he will get much game time if he stayed in paisley?

He will be signing for you lot very very soon.

Another good bit of business from the club. I like how Stubbs is going about things so far. We need a team of players signed by Stubbs so they will buy into his way of playing and have no loyalties to Ross. Best way forward imo.

Easy to say this now that he's going but I don't think he's that big a loss. He was a bit of a meh signing for me. On his day he's a decent Championship player but I wasn't convinced he was good enough for the Premiership. His pace and strength would have been an asset, as would his long throw, but I'm not convinced he'd have been consistent enough, or Ross' theory that he was more a striker than a winger.

I feel a bit sorry for him though as he never really got a chance under Ross due to the team performing well. Mullen came in when Reilly was injured/lost form and scored a few goals but Hippolyte would have been waiting for the likes of Morgan or Magennis to tail off, which didn't really happen. The one time Morgan was missing was against Dunfermline and Ross opted to change to two up and give Mullen a go rather than go with Hippolyte.

Just hope there's a good few more still to come in before the Premiership season starts.

Got to laugh everyone saying this one and that one are not good enough for top league but think players from the lower leagues in England are going to be. this could end up being the biggest disaster ever or a success I know which one I'm going for.