The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

6 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

You're an excitable young chap, aren't you?

If you are dining out on a few years of success and your rivals losing one more goal than you, then you'll be eating very thin gruel indeed.

Oh, never, of course. On days like this though, it does seem a little empty. 

1498904981159.jpg.e7b5b8bd877f3d4b58134151bef714d0.jpg

The only thing I will say is we lost 7-0 up at Ross County the season we finished ahead of Hibs with 70 points and got to the playoff final.

The hype around St Mirren had been daft though and Jack Ross had signed poorly all summer. A few of us have been saying this for weeks. These are glorified friendlies though.

13 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

The only thing I will say is we lost 7-0 up at Ross County the season we finished ahead of Hibs with 70 points and got to the playoff final.

The hype around St Mirren had been daft though and Jack Ross had signed poorly all summer. A few of us have been saying this for weeks. These are glorified friendlies though.

Aye, we have. I had us down for 5th or 6th in the predictions thread, and that's not false modesty/pessimism. 

Our striking acquisitions simply have not been good enough, and I worry hugely about our keepers. 

We've been assuming something was happening on the striker front, but it's likely at this stage to be a loan, and that'll be a gamble by default. Last season we started with two loan strikers who appeared to be solid acquisitions, and they contributed f**k all.

Couldn't believe quite how bad you guys were yesterday. Was expecting a real challenge, but that was probably one of the poorest performances I've seen at Firhill in the last five years.

Didn't look like there was much athleticism in that side. A lot of stocky big guys, or very small guys. It was all very ponderous around the box as well - like night and day to our link up with Spittal, Erskine and Lawless etc.

Hopefully you guys get it together for the start of the season, but you certainly look like a team that would struggle to put up a challenge for even the play-offs.

Sorry to hammer the point home but I thought St Mirren looked a pretty poor outfit although will still clearly be gelling together.

I thought the formation was far too rigid and allowed Erskine, Spittal and Lawless to play in between far too easily.

I don't rate the boy McShane at all; numerous times where he never even attempted to track a midfield runner and left an overload on his defence.

We played some very tidy stuff at times yesterday which probably accentuated the gulf but even with 10 men, Saints never really made us work and only started to keep possession towards the end of the game.

The signings that Ross has made remind me of those that Ian McCall made when mending the Campbell catastrophe with an emphasis on lower league prospects. We finished mid table in McCall's first season and I'd say that's probably a realistic prediction for St Mirren this year, maybe with a shout of the last play off place with a couple of signings.

On 30/05/2017 at 23:19, djchapsticks said:

Indeed he is. We don't often/ever get a manager who is genuinely a breath of fresh air who we believe could make us overachieve for a bit. Clubs like St. Johnstone, Accies, Partick Thistle all get their turn. We thought we had it with tom Hendrie and he went a bit sideways awfully quick.

St. Mirren has been a gaffer's graveyard for the best part of 30 years now. Forgive us if we get excited when a guy with genuine promise comes along once a generation! :P

On 30/05/2017 at 23:26, djchapsticks said:

And rightly so to be honest. The turnaround from what was the outright worst St. Mirren side I've ever seen, to the most exciting, attacking side in 20 years was quite astonishing. It's gotten a lot of folk carried away a bit with what he can do with a full season under his belt. Fact of the matter is though, I did and still do rate Alex Neil massively as he seems to be something a bit different and I still think he'll go out and carve a massively successful career in England, irrespective of how it all ended at Norwich. Jack certainly has the potential to follow the same sort of route Alex Neil went.

Fucking football eh. 

Just the classic feast and famine with St Mirren. We are either winning and the greatest team in the world or losing and the worst, there is never a middle ground.

I don't think Jack has recruited badly, but I do think he's trying to fit players into a system that worked at the end of last season, and it's not quite a proper fit. 

Personally I am a little more level headed here and think that the team is easily capable of maintaining a middle table finish, closer to the promotion playoffs than the relegation ones, and for all the chat about us being favourites (thankfully now dismissed by most) I don't think many, if they actually sat down and weighed everything up, would disagree that would be progress from last season.

The lack of an out and out striker is slightly worrying, but I'm sure he'll get something sorted. IMO, Sutton could provide the goals, but only if played up as a part of two. Now a Reilly and Sutton partnership might work, after all a Mehmet and Sutton partnership worked and there's no way Mehmet is a better player than Reilly (not saying he's worse mind!), but I don't see Jack shifting to a 442 or 532 combo to get that to work. 

The defence is creaking just now but I don't see that as an issue. McKenzie for all he didn't show it against Partick, is more than capable of putting in regular top quality performances. How partners him I'm not sure, I'd be keen for Baird to get a continued run but then he was in the defence the other day and it won't have done his confidence much good.

I can understand the unrest amongst the support and for me the team looks really lacking in match fitness, they were off the pace in all the 3 Bet Fred games so far, but that is more about getting more games than bringing in more players.

Edited by Buddist Monk
Spelling, it's always spelling.. :(

Sorry to hammer the point home but I thought St Mirren looked a pretty poor outfit although will still clearly be gelling together.
I thought the formation was far too rigid and allowed Erskine, Spittal and Lawless to play in between far too easily.
I don't rate the boy McShane at all; numerous times where he never even attempted to track a midfield runner and left an overload on his defence.

Right to point out McShane was poor. However he was rated by other clubs fans as a good signing so.... Do wonder if he works with McGinn in midfield.

The tracking back was awful all round but I don't think we were helped by the full backs being terrible. Booth had free reign to roam on the left and the CBs were terrified as a result. We also seem to be missing someone who'll stick the foot in and tackle. You guys were very good, but we were awful. Injuries and suspensions hurt us but that can't be an excuse.

I trust Jack to get it right, we can rebuild but need some good signings not players making steps up.

Of what we signed from lower leagues, I think both Ross Stewart's look ok and O'Keefe has made progress.

This does have the whiff of Danny Lennon's first year and the summer of beath!

Thistle are a good side, easy to forget that we were playing away against a top six Premiership side.

That said we were, yet again, second in every department. We don't look sharp at all and have been easily out fought against Dundee, Livingston, and Thistle.

Sutton deserves a chance, I'd also start O'Keefe against Airdrie.

Chris Sutton was giving Ross lots of stick yesterday, as well as some ridiculous comments about John shouldn't be coming on 5-0 down.

Seems as though things must not be right between Ross and John, I imagine because he's trying to get him out the door.

McShane and mcginn didn't work, hopefullly magennis will be back sooner rather than later as his natural dig in there will be essential. I like the look of o keefe, another direct winger that gives us natural width. Eckersley coming back in will make a difference, as will Davis.

We desperately need another option up front, if we sort that then we have a very strong starting 11, but would be worried
About who we have to come in as soon as we pick up a few injuries and suspensions

11 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Oh, and does anyone fancy confirming that we don't need a right back?! 

Not after that. Would still rather see us use under-20 players as cover rather than have four fullbacks in the squad, however on the basis of yesterday it seems we have no one good enough to fill in if the best we can manage is a young lad playing out of position.

Not really much point letting the manager sign one though seeing as certain individuals think Ross should be hung, drawn and quartered at Paisley Cross because the only possible outcome from this season is us finishing bottom with no points.

Edited by Stu

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

Not after that. Would still rather see us use under-20 players as cover rather than have four fullbacks in the squad, however on the basis of yesterday it seems we have no one good enough to fill in if the best we can manage is a young lad playing out of position.

Not really much point letting the manager sign one though seeing as certain individuals think Ross should be hung, drawn and quartered at Paisley Cross because the only possible outcome from this season is us finishing bottom with no points.

Don't think it is that bad finishing bottom by some. It's only disappointment given we as fans thought a challenge at least this season. We have no quality up front a big problem area that needs urgent attention. Players back from injury will improve other areas. 

4 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Our striking acquisitions simply have not been good enough, and I worry hugely about our keepers. 

I thought that perhaps his old manager might get the best out of Reilly in that he scored in a few pre season games, he was one of those players for Queens that I wasnt sure of but had goals in him. 

I did think the keeper couldve done a lot better with especially the last goal, he shouldve been a few more yards off his line and if so wouldve been able to close down or clear the ball better, very much with him was that hit the target and its a goal and ive never rated Samson, so Id be concerned about the goalie position too

The league cup is still to me a bit of a farce starting in July, especially if you have had a bit of surgery done to the team, Partick I dont think have and St Mirren have

If we can add a striker I think we'll be ok. Once fully fit we've got a reasonable group of players. We're miles away from challenging to win the league, but we should have more than enough not to be in a relegation battle and hopefully can push for top 4.