The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Jack's a shrewd guy, reminds me a lot of the young Fergie. He's gearing St Mirren to win something at our level  , enhance his already growing reputation , and then make his step up to a big club capable of winning things. Previous St Mirren managers have been on one year rolling contracts but Jacks just in the door and on a three year deal. I doubt very much he'll end up at Dens !

I'm sure Ross would jump at the chance to become the next Paul Hartley. :lol:

I firmly believe he'll stay to have at least one stab at promotion from this league. We've got a young, talented squad and budget to use to bring in more players.

My biggest concern is that we might struggle to sign Loy after Ross has told Dundee to f**k off.

Like it or not Dundee are a big step up to what we are just now, they can offer so much more than we can. 

I think JR might want to complete a full season with us first, if he believes he can get us challenging at the top of this divison I don't think he'll leave. 

If we give it a good go and ultimately don't go up there will be more vacancies available next summer.

Won't be surprised if this tempts him though, a lot of potential at Dundee and the board backed Hartley with a top 6 budget this season.

I just can't see Jack moving to Dundee at all. Although it would be a step up, it would be a marginal one. For me it's just not big enough a move to justify the risk of leaving a club at which he has been and could still be very successful. That's before you look at whether Dundee could stump up the required level of compensation to prise him away.

I'm resigned to losing him sooner rather than later, but not this soon. I think that exit route (on current career trajectory at least) would far more likely be a Hearts, Hibs or an Aberdeen or England (circa League 1) rather than a Dundee/Dundee United.

This is all before you factor in whether Jack Ross is sincere in his commitment to building a successful squad and club and returning St Miren to the top flight. For what it's worth, I think he is sincere in this regard.

Just as an aside, is there anything to substantiate the "boyhood Dundee fan" claim? Just curious as I've not heard it mentioned.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

1495226738007.jpg.133630c59b7c3d8c715726fd21b9035b.jpg

23 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Let's stop the bullshit. If Dundee come in for Ross then he will join them. He's probably got a release clause in his contract I would imagine.

15 minutes ago, Tri-TON said:

That'll be quite difficult considering he'll be managing a team in the league above come the start of the season.

Can't imagine what Jack Ross has done to leave Morton fans quite so rattled.

Wait... I remember now. 

6259488.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=respo

Dundee's performance against us in January is enough to put anyone off moving to them. Awful team.

Not even their desperate measure of announcing Mallan as man of the match could make the man consider moving there.

That was the Sportsound 'choice'. For whatever reason, we have to give neutral MotM during cup games.

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Like it or not Dundee are a big step up to what we are just now, they can offer so much more than we can. 

I think JR might want to complete a full season with us first, if he believes he can get us challenging at the top of this divison I don't think he'll leave. 

If we give it a good go and ultimately don't go up there will be more vacancies available next summer.

Won't be surprised if this tempts him though, a lot of potential at Dundee and the board backed Hartley with a top 6 budget this season.

Agree with a lot of this. I think there's a real chance he could go there. Chance to manage in the top flight at a club that seems reasonably well done (certainly compared to how they used to). Also gets to move in the summer, making it a bit easier for him to change things. He won't be lumbered with someone else's squad again...

Hopefully he stays but wouldn't be overly surprised if he goes.

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Cannot agree with that. A premier league club who just avoided relegation. What are their prospects for next season? - the same again. With us he can actually win something, boost his reputation and move on to a big club. Dundee do not fall into that category.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Based on the fact that Dundee seemed to have bounced from mess to mess in the last few seasons. 

Much like the situation with Stevie Mallan and the £60k bid last season, it's hopefully all a bit pie in the sky and wishful thinking. There is very few clubs in Scotland who can afford to take another full time club's manager with two years to run on his deal. 

How many years ago are you basing the "bounced from mess to mess in the last few seasons" comment on? Certainly isn't since Keyes and Nelms took over. 

Anyway if Dundee do intend on making Ross manager it will happen. Ross will just resign leaving us free of a compensation payment and him free to take over the reigns at Dens. 

25 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Cannot agree with that. A premier league club who just avoided relegation. What are their prospects for next season? - the same again. With us he can actually win something, boost his reputation and move on to a big club. Dundee do not fall into that category.

We are aspiring to be in their position though. JR could save himself a year and take over a Premiership club, if he stays with us there is no guarantee we will be promoted. This is all worst case scenario though. You've got to ask why McCann didn't take the job, maybe prefers the Sky gig, maybe didn't fancy the squad they have signed up for next season, I don't have a clue what the Dundee situation is like.

Just now, Yenitit said:

How many years ago are you basing the "bounced from mess to mess in the last few seasons" comment on? Certainly isn't since Keyes and Nelms took over. 

Anyway if Dundee do intend on making Ross manager it will happen. Ross will just resign leaving us free of a compensation payment and him free to take over the reigns at Dens. 

Don't think thats how it works. We will have a clause in his contract if he was to resign from his position he wouldn't be able to take another job for x amount of time, to prevent us being shafted out of compensation.

If Dundee want him and he wants to go, they'll need to stump up the cash.